Topic Sponsor
Suggestions, Comments & Questions about the Forum Give us your feedback and tell us what you'd like to see or report a functionality problem.

TOTM separation

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Rammer Jammer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Default TOTM separation

I believe that the truck of the month should be separated into different categories such as 2009+, 2004-2008, 1997-2003, and classic. I think that this would make it more fair and that it would make the TOTM more fun. just a suggestion, I understand if there are reasons that this isn't possible to do or you don't feel it should be changed. I just think that it would be a better way to do it and that it would make the TOTM more fun.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

I would agree with you but I dont think that the spread of nominations that we get each month would lend to that. If we tripled the number of TOTM winners, we might actually have the same trucks winning multiple times per year. As it stands right now, to keep the running fair, the same truck can only win once per 12 month time period.

I say that for us guys running trucks from the 2003 back era. There's a few 2009+ guys nominated per month (until they become obtainable to younger people with the "Mod Monster" mindset), ALOT of trucks nominated in the 2004-2008 category (because they're rapidly becoming more obtainable and leaving money in pockets for mods), a significantly less number of 1997-2003 trucks simply because they are starting to age... like milk (hehe, j/k) and then maybe one or two classics nominated per month- if that.

If we had double the amount of nominations and members on this site, that might be a good idea but right now we are a decent sized site but not big enough to have multiple TOTM sections.

That's just my $.02
Old 09-23-2010, 07:15 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

i was thinking the same lenn.. but then i thought that other member might start running if they run against trucks of the same caliber...as much as i like a 94 model ford most people dont even look at them... and vote for the 2010 model just becouse...... i see where you are coming from
Old 09-23-2010, 07:45 AM
Administrator

Yeah, I know its harder for the classic guys... We try to keep the spread as even as we can for the actual candidate trucks. As the trucks get older and older, its gonna be harder and harder to win this competition. The same applies to us 1997-2003 guys.

The way I see it is this. The 2009+ guys have the likelyhood to win since they are new and not much investment is required to make them look better. The 2004-2008 guys are the most likely to win since as stated- they are more obtainable, still stylish, and usually purchased outright so no leins but they're still new enough to warrant modding. The classic guys are the next most likely to win since to even to nominated, you have to have a nice rig, be it a prestine original or restored. Those trucks are hitting the "classic era". Us 1997-2003 guys are in the biggest pickle. Our trucks are being purchased for as little as $2000 and still being used and abused for work trucks and whatnot. Those of us who have the desire to mod, would rather do it to a 2004-2008 model since the newer low mileage 02-03 trucks in 4x4 trim are nearing the price of a higher mileage 04-05 4x4 which (IMHO) is a much superior truck in just about every way. When my generation truck gets old enough to be restored, the table will start to turn in thier favor.

IDK- its not a perfect system but the numbers need to be higher in order for multiple sections to be implimented. I do agree with you both though.

PS- been a while since I've seen ya post Bobkylecawkadoodle.

Last edited by Lenn; 09-23-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to agree about seperating it out, but see your point w/ as few of votes we get. Here is a thought... what if you just do nominations for certain era's. Like its really unfair going up against 2 09's w/ my 2wd 06. lol. I should have been left out and a 3rd 09-10 should have taken my place. I think if you get a majority of one era for truck of the month, that it should be that era against that era alone. like you said, everyone wants a platinum... it should trump any/all trucks. just my $.02... still an honor to get nominated in my opinion.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:06 PM
Administrator

I see what you are saying Van... but again, if we evenly break it up between generations, there's gonna be 9 nominations for the 2009+ corral, 23 for the 2004-2008 guys, 12 for the 1997-2003 guys and maybe 4 for the classic guys.

Its not the number of members rides that we lack... its the number of nominations for the older generation trucks. As I stated before, I would hate to see the same beautiful 1987 F150 Custom winning each time that generation is up for TOTM just simply because thats one of the three or four that are viewed as "Nomination worthy" by thier peers.

Ultimately, its Jon and Nathan's call but I've been thinking about this alot actually. This is a rough copy of what I was thinking and peicing together as a starting point for breathing some new life into the TOTM competition.

The only fair way I could see breaking it down is to do something of a theme for each month.

For instance:

Jan- 2009+
Feb- 2004-2008
Mar- 1997-2003
Apr- Classics Month
May- Service Member Month
Jun- 2wd only
Jul- 4wd only
Aug- Harley/Lightning/Saleen Beauties
Sep- Heavy Hitters (Heavily Modded)
Oct- Stock Beauties (No more than tires)
Nov- Inner Beauty ("Ugly" trucks)
Dec- Free For All!!!!!
Old 09-23-2010, 02:33 PM
poopin.....on this thread

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Maybe rotating? like Lenn says, except then at the end they can pick like a truck of the month for December and have a truck of the year w/ all of the previous winners to be in the running?

because as been said its tough to compete against the Platinum....that most aspire to have and try to make our trucks to be

Last edited by rubbinsracin; 09-23-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like lenns idea.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i like lenn's idea too. even though each only get 1 month for the Gen, there are other months that any Gen can fall into, i.e. just tires, heavy mod, ugly trucks, etc. Maybe we could have a minimum post/member requirement before you are nominated as well. This would weed out those that just hop on and never hear from again, as well as show a true gratitude to those that actually post up and help out consistently, w/ good advice (any can post up tons of stuff, but whether its good or not is the curveball). Like Bucko should be nominated Just for this reasoning alone, yet he never will cuz his truck is a "plain jane" and no one nominates that kind of truck anyway.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Administrator

I nominated him last month...

As mods, you'll probably never see our vehicles in the running unless it is prior to us being staff. Its a perceived conflict of interest thing.

Quick Reply: TOTM separation