Topic Sponsor
Suggestions, Comments & Questions about the Forum Give us your feedback and tell us what you'd like to see or report a functionality problem.

Reputation vote system!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 01:03 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 647 Posts

Default Reputation vote system!

Reputation vote system?

Why? Well I glad you asked Skippy!
Let's posters know if their input is helpful, or otherwise & why. Also, a way for members to gauge reliability of posts!

This is a "Side bar" system that allows Forum members to add or subtract Rep votes to member's posts, including a short comment. Like "Great info/ Saved my ***!" or "Good effort/thanks for the input" or "Give him a break, he's a noob" or "What's w/ the attitude!" or "Too much Caffeine?" or "Pics/illustration/Link very helpful". And so on.....

Positive rep "markers" are displayed on their post's which allows other Forum members to see how much credibility the poster has based on their posting history. Ballot stuffing safeguards are firmly in place! You must give Rep Votes to quite a few others before allowed to rep vote the same person again (Even if he really deserves it/ oh well, no system's perfect!).

What will not get you "Rep Votes"?
Popularity, Rudeness, attitude, "Troll attacks"(Argumentative for the sake of argument/ Non-productive), Sheer # of posts, Humor at the expense of others (although laughing with others, rather than at them works wonders)
What will get you "Rep votes"?
The kind of additude & helpful input that is what makes a "Great" Forum even Better! Less "Yapping" & more solid, helpful, "reliable" input!!!

This will also allow a member posting their problem, a way to determine the likely reliability of the info provided to him by the posters to his thread!

Example: On the Forum I also belong to, that uses this system, after 4 years & 500 posts, I have 92 Rep votes (8 short of my second Reputation Marker). There don't come that easily, but are worth the effort, & I believe as stated previously, "Makes a great Forum,.....even better!!"

Reputation is a way of rating users depending on the quality of their posts. If the administrators have enabled reputation, then the reputation icon will be visible in posts.

Reputation may be positive , negative or neutral . Negative reputation may only be given if the administrator has enabled this. Neutral reputation is only given when the person giving reputation does not meet the criteria set by the administrator to affect someone else's reputation.

How do I give reputation?

To give reputation, click on the reputation icon in the relevant post. This will reveal a form to complete with the reputation type and the reason for giving the reputation. If negative reputation is disabled then it will not be displayed in this form. You may not give reputation for the same post twice.

How do I know what reputation I have received?

You can view the reputation that you have received in your User CP (User Control Panel) where it is displayed at the bottom of the User CP page. Here you will see the latest reputation that you have received and whether this is positive, negative or neutral. Your total reputation will be shown as series of reputation indicators in your posts and profile. The more positive your reputation, the more positive icons will be shown. The more negative your reputation the more negative icons will be shown.

How much reputation is given? What is reputation power?

If the administrator has enabled this, the amount of reputation that each user will give (or take away if negative) is shown in the user's posts as 'Reputation Power'. The value of the reputation power is determined by the administrator and may increase over time depending on the settings they have applied. The more Rep votes you have, the more the Rep votes you give, are worth! So if you have received 100 Rep votes, your rep vote you give might be worth X2.

What if I don't want anyone to see my reputation?

You can disable the display of your reputation by going to your User CP and selecting Edit Options. On this page you will find a check box labelled 'Show Your Reputation Level'. Un-checking this box will remove the display of your reputation and replace it with the Reputation Disabled icon. You can still give and receive reputation while your reputation display is disabled.

This is how it work on the other Forum. Although it may sound complicated, it pretty much takes care of itself!

COMMENTS?

Last edited by ymeski56; 06-10-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Received 1,682 Likes on 587 Posts

Holy crap!! Great post. I totally agree and think that a form of recognition for the members that actually help and are productive that distinguishes the ones that mainly hang out in the off topic section (not that this is a bad thing). This could only benefit the new members that come here to ask questions about specific problems. Sure, alot of members have alot of good info to offer but as of now, what seperates the person that sounds like he/she knows what they are talking about from the one who actually does?
Old 06-10-2010, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lenn
Holy crap!! Great post. I totally agree and think that a form of recognition for the members that actually help and are productive that distinguishes the ones that mainly hang out in the off topic section (not that this is a bad thing). This could only benefit the new members that come here to ask questions about specific problems. Sure, alot of members have alot of good info to offer but as of now, what seperates the person that sounds like he/she knows what they are talking about from the one who actually does?
I do think adding a Rep vote icon such as this "might" prove counter productive! But the small green marker icon's are "all good"!
Old 06-10-2010, 01:56 PM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds good as long as I can start with 200 because I know ive personally helped that many...
Old 06-10-2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by westtnfx4
Sounds good as long as I can start with 200 because I know ive personally helped that many...
I know what you mean, w/ 3K posts under my belt here, I'd guess that would be worth 200 or more rep votes at least, also! But as I found at the Forum I'm in that uses this system, sheer # of posts can be trumped by a lot less posts that are "on the nose" so to speak. And it separates what we "think" is helpful, from what "is" actually helpful! Providing a way to hone our informative & communicative skills also! Trust me, the cream of the crop, will rise to the top in short order (maybe not that short, but soon enough)! "Cyclopes Syndrome" (one single green marker) ends at 100 positive rep votes, when your second marker is bestowed.

"Trolls" as defined previously, would most likely be denoted with having no green markers at all! A sign for unsuspecting thread readers/ posters to "not feed the Troll" meaning not to feed into that posters predisposition of "begging for an argument" or "who disagree's for the sake of disagreement"! You can opt not to display your Rep vote markers, but that would tend to make the other villagers wonder why, wouldn't it! "Stand back! He carries the Mark of the Troll!!"
Latin Definition: Knitinus Pickinus Paininda Butious

Last edited by ymeski56; 06-18-2010 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:01 PM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Haha...nice...I guess bigun72 would have the mark of the beast then bahahaha Just playin bigun....you my little mini me lol.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:17 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

This would be a great feature. Come on Lenn, make it happen.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nathan?!?! Jon?!? Your "baby" is crying, care to giver her a Reputation Voting System? I think that's what she needs! Of course, she could just be constipated, what do I know?

(I'm guessing this post would be an example of how to NOT get a rep vote )
Old 06-10-2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by hackersmovie
Nathan?!?! Jon?!? Your "baby" is crying, care to giver her a Reputation Voting System? I think that's what she needs! Of course, she could just be constipated, what do I know?

(I'm guessing this post would be an example of how to NOT get a rep vote )
Luv you too, Hack! Still time to introduce the Rep icon for those..............."special members!"
I asked a few other "hard core Forum members" who's opinion I value to comment, I think I may find out what "be careful what you wish for" means! But give it some serious thought, & you can always resume "shooting the messenger" right where you left off! I'm here for ya!

Last edited by ymeski56; 06-10-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Received 1,682 Likes on 587 Posts

Hey hey hey... This is not my call. I do nothing but keep the dogs at bay here. Jon and Nathan are the ones that feed ya.

Quick Reply: Reputation vote system!