Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winterfront grill covers on gas trucks in winter / cold / freezing temps

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 10:59 PM

Received 1,172 Likes on 952 Posts
Default Winterfront grill covers on gas trucks in winter / cold / freezing temps

Please discuss pros, cons, experiences and opinions of using “Winterfront” grill / radiator covers during harsh winter temperatures with a GAS engine.

if your opinion differs by gas engine type, please clarify turbo vs NA application.

Old 11-20-2023, 04:33 AM

Received 3,165 Likes on 1,729 Posts

I think it would depend on the generation. 15+ trucks have active grille shutters that open and close as needed so it wouldn’t be necessary.

On my 2008 that I had for 14 years, I never had one and it spent its life in Vermont.
Old 11-20-2023, 09:58 AM

Received 1,172 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008__XL
I think it would depend on the generation. 15+ trucks have active grille shutters that open and close as needed so it wouldn’t be necessary.

On my 2008 that I had for 14 years, I never had one and it spent its life in Vermont.
I’ve owned and operated in harsh winters for years without using them, so I know you can get by fine without them. However, I’m curious what/how much beneifit they may provide. And/or what risks/cons may be associated with using them

interesting to hear about newer trucks. Guess there must be a benefit.
Old 11-20-2023, 10:16 AM

Received 3,165 Likes on 1,729 Posts

Originally Posted by laterongc
I’ve owned and operated in harsh winters for years without using them, so I know you can get by fine without them. However, I’m curious what/how much beneifit they may provide. And/or what risks/cons may be associated with using them

interesting to hear about newer trucks. Guess there must be a benefit.
Im sure it helps with a couple things. Engine gets up to temp faster which is good for many reasons. Also, you’ll have heat faster.

I feel like my 2017 does warm up a little faster than my old 2008, but I’d need to compare side by side to see what the difference was.

Quick Reply: Winterfront grill covers on gas trucks in winter / cold / freezing temps