Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Detail Advice Needed Quick!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 02:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Winter Detail Advice Needed Quick!!!!

Hey guys, I have an appointment with my detailer tomorrow morning, first thing. I wanted to ask my question sooner but was too busy, so didn't have time. Now, I am in Edmonton where the temperature tomorrow will be -27 degrees celsius (-40 degrees with the windchill!!!!) The shop I go to is very reputable (albeit expensive) and they do great work. My question, however, is with the temperature so cold, is it safe to wash and wax. I just got the truck a few months ago, and this is my first wash/detail, other than when the dealer did it when I picked it up. Maybe I'm being too paranoid?? My guy there said it should be fine... They obviously wash indoors and he said they will leave it parked inside until I pick it up. Then again, what good is leaving it inside when the garage doors are left open in this type of cold lol? I don't know if they wash it with the doors closed, or if all the garage doors are left open when they work. It's just gonna be a wash, wax and leather care. I obviously won't try the windows after for fear they may be frozen, but then again, I never drive with the windows open anyways (I like to preserve the new car smell, instead of letting it be blown away by the wind lol). At least, since it's so cold, the roads aren't that bad actually. I would much rather drive my new truck now... as opposed to driving it when it's not as cold, but slushy, salty, dirtier, etc. I'm sure the cold conditions now are much better on the truck than all that slushy and salty stuff when it's a bit warmer? I'm hoping you guys will tell me not to worry and just get the detail done Is there anything a nit-picky guy like me should know?? Thank you all.

2013 FX4 EB SuperCrew Short-box
Appearance Package/402A Equipment Group
Tuxedo Black with Suntech 32% front tint
Old 12-05-2013, 03:54 AM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Been to Edmonton on the way up to Yellowknife 1500 km north for winter testing with Mercedes. Interesting places.
Living with the cold the service guys up there know what to do.
Washing in freezing temps: don't blast water on the door locks, or blast directly into the air inlet at the base of the windshield. Forcing water directly on the door locks will pop open the protective flaps and let water in to freeze the locks. Don't spray anything into door locks as the solvent and/or alcohol will wash out the factory lube and cause more problems. Door seals can stick on older vehicles but new seals are resistant to this.
If you plan to stay up in that area use Mobil 1 and get a block heater installed. Lots of public places have outlets to plug in. The limit of typical gas engines to start unaided is about minus 20 F (-29 C). Wind chill is not a factor except on living things. Never touch the gas pedal when cold cranking with fuel injected engines.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:17 PM
Mud Monkey

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

another alberta boy! come join the group. I'm sure the guys would be more than happy to answer your questions https://www.facebook.com/groups/401666989916193/
Old 12-05-2013, 11:57 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by pctcone
Hey guys, I have an appointment with my detailer tomorrow morning, first thing. I wanted to ask my question sooner but was too busy, so didn't have time. Now, I am in Edmonton where the temperature tomorrow will be -27 degrees celsius (-40 degrees with the windchill!!!!) The shop I go to is very reputable (albeit expensive) and they do great work. My question, however, is with the temperature so cold, is it safe to wash and wax. I just got the truck a few months ago, and this is my first wash/detail, other than when the dealer did it when I picked it up. Maybe I'm being too paranoid?? My guy there said it should be fine... They obviously wash indoors and he said they will leave it parked inside until I pick it up. Then again, what good is leaving it inside when the garage doors are left open in this type of cold lol? I don't know if they wash it with the doors closed, or if all the garage doors are left open when they work. It's just gonna be a wash, wax and leather care. I obviously won't try the windows after for fear they may be frozen, but then again, I never drive with the windows open anyways (I like to preserve the new car smell, instead of letting it be blown away by the wind lol). At least, since it's so cold, the roads aren't that bad actually. I would much rather drive my new truck now... as opposed to driving it when it's not as cold, but slushy, salty, dirtier, etc. I'm sure the cold conditions now are much better on the truck than all that slushy and salty stuff when it's a bit warmer? I'm hoping you guys will tell me not to worry and just get the detail done Is there anything a nit-picky guy like me should know?? Thank you all. 2013 FX4 EB SuperCrew Short-box Appearance Package/402A Equipment Group Tuxedo Black with Suntech 32% front tint
Don't worry....just get the detail done. You are doing right by it. Any water left is no worse than what will be there after a dusting of snow and a day of minor melt followed by more snow.

Quick Reply: Winter Detail Advice Needed Quick!!!!