General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What’s this sound? (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 09:19 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default What’s this sound? (Video)

• About 2.5wks ago, this sound came about and increases pitch as you accelerate. I called a “mobile mechanic” and he couldn’t diagnose the issue saying it sounded like the inside. While he was there, he replaced my belts (needed them) and changed oil while I worked. I provided oil and belts. Labor was $125
  • Ford Dealer: $150 to diagnose. Warranty good until 100k Miles. Warranty deductible is $100 if covered by dealer.
  • Firestone: $50 to diagnose. Repair cost of labor/part unknown
  • Which option is best? Risk Ford handling it and being charged $150 if not warranty issue, that Firestone could have done for $50? Or just using this video I’m providing, go to oreilly’s buy the part, and have the mobile mechanic install?
  • Looking at the video, what do you think it is? I was lucky enough to get a reflection on the belt so you see exactly which one it it is. Here’s my video to the video....
    Facebook Post
Old 04-13-2018, 09:25 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

I wouldn't wish my worst enemy take anything to Firestone, bunch of thieving bastards. Take it to the dealer.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:44 PM

thanks man. What do you think it is? The ac pulley right? Is this covered under ford warranty? The dealer said the alternator was so hell, I guess let them handle it
Old 04-13-2018, 11:17 PM

First thing I'd do is take the belt(s) off to make sure it's not an engine concern. If the noise goes away then put the belt(s) back on, start the engine and grab a rubber hose, put one end to my ear and probe each pulley as close as possible to pinpoint where the noise is coming from.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:17 PM

Received 260 Likes on 190 Posts

Firestone is also considered a bunch of thieves and con artist here in Tennessee.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:26 PM

Thanks guys. Wow, the Firestone’s here are generally pretty honest and straight forward. I’ve never been over charged and even had them go to ford to get parts instead of using theirs.

As as far as pulling the belt off, that seems like a great idea. Never done it on this truck but I may definitely pull to see. The only thing is if it’s covered under warranty, as I have 6500miles left of 100k warranty, I may just pay the $100 and be done.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:49 PM

Received 5,554 Likes on 4,631 Posts

How do they get any business ? I recall the Firestone in MI wanted more than double for an alignment compared to DT. Not quite so bad compared to the dealer... not even in the ballpark all the same. No extra's or so called freebies, just outrageous lol.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:18 PM

I worked at Firestone for 2 weeks, that's all it took for me to see just how much they were ripping people off, example, got a work order for oil change and rotation, car had just over 20k miles on it, even the air filter was in good shape, while I had it up in the air the service manager came over with his clip board and commenced to write up, belts, struts, hoses, brake pads, brake shoes all filters besides the oil filter obviously, I had already checked these items when I had the wheels off and yet he wrote all that down after I had the wheels reinstalled and I asked him how he thought all those items were bad on a car with so few miles, he told me it's company policy. He left for lunch and I wasn't there when he returned, I packed up my tool box in my truck and left in disgust.

Another tech that came to work where I'm at now said he had the exact same thing told to him at a different Firestone shop in another town, he also left as quickly as I had.

I've never quit a job without having another one lined up until that day.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:54 PM

Received 5,554 Likes on 4,631 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
I worked at Firestone for 2 weeks, that's all it took for me to see just how much they were ripping people off, example, got a work order for oil change and rotation, car had just over 20k miles on it, even the air filter was in good shape, while I had it up in the air the service manager came over with his clip board and commenced to write up, belts, struts, hoses, brake pads, brake shoes all filters besides the oil filter obviously, I had already checked these items when I had the wheels off and yet he wrote all that down after I had the wheels reinstalled and I asked him how he thought all those items were bad on a car with so few miles, he told me it's company policy. He left for lunch and I wasn't there when he returned, I packed up my tool box in my truck and left in disgust.

Another tech that came to work where I'm at now said he had the exact same thing told to him at a different Firestone shop in another town, he also left as quickly as I had.

I've never quit a job without having another one lined up until that day.
Sounds like you were a victim of their professional opinion override policy. A place that corrupt must look to employ people just as... They won't find or hang onto any good techs, errr maybe that's the way they like it. More interested in Newbs or those seeking an education I expect...sadly. They must sleep at night , somehow.

Quick Reply: What’s this sound? (Video)