Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do to someone vandalizing your truck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 08:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What to do to someone vandalizing your truck?

Hey everyone. I live in southeastern Michigan and am facing some attempts at vandalism. I'm just wondering, if you caught the person doing it, or about to do so, what are you legally allowed to do. I also want to know what the legal rights to hold them are. Id like to go beat the crap out of them but feel holding them at gunpoint till the police show is the safest route to avoid getting myself hurt. I have no intent of shooting, just a safe way to stop them and hold untill police arrive. And just so you know, I'm not crazy, so don't tell me crazy things to do, and I'm serious about this question. So, what do you think, and what would you do?!

Last edited by thef150guy; 03-23-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:47 PM

Received 531 Likes on 407 Posts

Call you local police or sheriffs department and ask what your rights are before you act.

Originally Posted by thef150guy
Hey everyone. I live in southeastern Michigan and am facing some attempts at vandalism. I'm just wondering, if you caught the person doing it, or about to do so, what are you legally allowed to do. I also want to know what you'd do. Im leaning towards either going out there with a crow bar and beating the f*** out of them, or holding them at gunpoint till the police show. I'm leaning towards using a gun to prevent assault charges and avoiding getting myself hurt. I'm worried now though what to do if I attempt to hold them at gunpoint and they take off or provoke me that I won't really shoot them. And just so you know, I'm not crazy and I'm serious about this question. So, what do you think, and what would you do?!
Old 03-22-2014, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by gregsf150stx
Call you local police or sheriffs department and ask what your rights are before you act.
I know, and have. I have received answers like, "call the police and wait for an officer to arrive" but I don't wanna sit there and watch my vehicle, that I put all this money, time, and care into be trashed. Also, last night I think something was dumped into the gas tank... what are the cops gonna do about that. Im just wondering if anyone actually knows the rights, and really would like to know how others would react to this. I couldn't see the guys on here sitting back and watching someone mess with their truck.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:55 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by thef150guy
Hey everyone. I live in southeastern Michigan and am facing some attempts at vandalism. I'm just wondering, if you caught the person doing it, or about to do so, what are you legally allowed to do. I also want to know what you'd do. Im leaning towards either going out there with a crow bar and beating the f*** out of them, or holding them at gunpoint till the police show. I'm leaning towards using a gun to prevent assault charges and avoiding getting myself hurt. I'm worried now though what to do if I attempt to hold them at gunpoint and they take off or provoke me that I won't really shoot them. And just so you know, I'm not crazy and I'm serious about this question. So, what do you think, and what would you do?!
Well gunpoint may not be the best plan if you are worried about not being able to defend yourself if things go south. It could turn against you and make for an even worse day. Id opt for beating there *** to a pulp because chances are they arent going to contact the police about it being that they were involved in illegal activity. But with that, you may be adding fuel to the fire with retaliation. Take a shotgun out (pump) and rack it nice and loud and yell....trust me , they will run with the quickness! Not to egg you into doing the wrong thing, but presentation is everything. If you look scared, they will know it. If you look like your not bsing around, they will notice that too. Or you could set some trip wires with sound alarms on the outskirts of your truck, they wont bother it if the sounds goes off as its rather loud!
Old 03-22-2014, 09:14 PM

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

In most States you cannot even brandish a firearm unless yours, or someone with you's life is in immediate danger. We have "Stand Your Ground" here, but still does not allow us to confront a thief with a weapon......the rights are on the criminals side, as police response time they will be long gone before they arrive.

Here in FL we have lots of hungry gators and swamps....they have developed a taste for criminals.

The following users liked this post:
canddmeyer (03-23-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 09:15 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Citizens arrest at gun point, call 911, explain and don't forget to mention you have them at gun point, if they take off let em go. You shoot them in the back and you WILL do time.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:15 PM
Built Ford Tough

Received 165 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by gregsf150stx
I predict this to be the only rational answer in the thread.

Also not the smartest idea to post about your premeditated crimes online OP.
Ricktwuhk (03-22-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Ftruck150
I predict this to be the only rational answer in the thread.

Also not the smartest idea to post about your premeditated crimes online OP.
I called the police, there answer was to wait for an officer, not to do anything. When I asked of my rights, I got no answer and have revived mixed answers from the ex cops I know our are in my family. And as for crimes, I'm not saying I'm going to commit any, ice never had any trouble with anyone or any police before. I'm more asking if those actions are allowed.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:35 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Not to be too technical, but your asking is actually considered premeditated if you were in a court of law trying to defend yourself regardless if you say you had no intent.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:41 PM

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Well honestly as ***** as it sounds do nothing but get out your cell phone. Get a good video. Try and get their faces. Don't touch them. I know it's hard because I would want to whoop some *** too but ya gotta keep yourself out of a predicament.
Ricktwuhk (03-22-2014)

Quick Reply: What to do to someone vandalizing your truck?