Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight Distribution System or NOT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 04:40 PM

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Weight Distribution System or NOT?

I traded in my Tacoma which had a Reese 49586 Pro Series Trunnion weight distribution kit with 800 lb. load capacity.

My new truck is an F150 XLT, 5.0L V8, 3.73 rear gear ratio, SuperCrew. I have a 10,000 lb. rated Sure-Trac 18' trailer that I will occasionally tow with up to a 6,000 lb. tractor on it.

Do I need the wt distribution system on my new truck?
Old 10-01-2018, 04:53 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Yes, you do. You can't tow over 5,000 pounds without it. You also need to check if the trailer, plus 6,000 pound tractor, are within your capabilities.

There is a towing section of the forum you should review. https://www.f150forum.com/f82/

First, read the yellow payload sticker on your door jamb.

That sticker will tell you the max payload you can tow. From it, subtract the weight of you and all your family, any mods you make to the truck (tonneau cover, bedliner, floor mats), anything you load in the bed. Subtract 100 pounds for the WDH. Take the remaining number and divide by .13 for an average tongue weight of 13%, and that's the max LOADED trailer that you can tow.

It looks like your trailer weighs 2,750 pounds - https://sure-trac.com/product/implement/

2,750 and 6,000 = 8,750. 8750 x .13 = 1,138 pounds. That is the payload you need left from the sticker after subtracting you and anyone else in the truck, the mods, and the 100 lbs for the WDH.

I suspect with one person you will be ok, but not much more than that.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:56 PM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Yes....just look at the sticker on your truck's hitch.

Any over 500# tongue weight or 5000# trailer weight requires a WDH
Old 10-02-2018, 03:43 AM

Received 357 Likes on 262 Posts

If the hitch is setup correctly, and the trailer has brakes, you will be fine if you don't haul enough in the bed to make it squat. Truck and trailer should be level when the hitch is setup properly. 8750 will be no problem if you are experienced towing.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:03 AM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

You might be fine towing that for short distances, but you're taking a gamble. If you were to get in an accident and your insurance company finds out you were towing over 5,000 lbs without a weight distributing hitch they may refuse to cover anything. Across the board, no 1/2 ton trucks of any make is allowed to tow more than 5,000 lbs without a WD hitch.

Not to mention, it just makes towing more safe with that much weight.
The following users liked this post:
ringostarr (04-15-2019)
Old 10-02-2018, 09:35 AM

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bassJAM
If you were to get in an accident and your insurance company finds out you were towing over 5,000 lbs without a weight distributing hitch they may refuse to cover anything.
False. This is one of the internet’s Top 3 Towing Myths.
The following 2 users liked this post by Easycamper:
GossipIsBad (10-03-2018), UncleG (10-04-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 09:48 AM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Easycamper

Do you have a source? This is what I'm going by:

https://www.hardworkingtrucks.com/to...-still-needed/

And, if an insurance company considers the insured vehicle was operating unsafely by disregarding requirements set forth in the owner’s manual and all relevant literature, don’t expect any help from them.
​​​​​​​“Failure to comply with these varied requirements,” Michaels says, “can lead to steep civil liability for both the vehicle operator and vehicle owner under the legal theory of negligence per se.”
Old 10-02-2018, 10:23 AM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

it's not false. They could certainly disclaim coverage if you did not follow manufacturer guidelines while towing. As said above, it amounts to admitting negligence. as owner of a vehicle, it is expected you are to be informed as to what the owner's manual says and what the specifications are of the truck and therefore it's capabilities, and to stay within the parameters of those capabilities.

Educate yourself and remember your insurance policy is a contract. You agree to abide by the terms of it as does the carrier. Get the full copy from your carrier and read it, just like you would any other contract you sign!

I have first-hand knowledge in the insurance arena...

Last edited by chimmike; 10-02-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:57 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Here's one that is also true. If you get in an accident, and there is an investigation to find the cause, if they discover you were outside the limits of your vehicle then you could be found responsible for the results of your actions, even if you didn't know you were.

Of course no one with a sane mind intentionally tows over capacities because that would needlessly risk them, their family, and the general public's safety.
The following users liked this post:
chimmike (10-02-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 09:29 AM

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by chimmike
it's not false. They could certainly disclaim coverage if you did not follow manufacturer guidelines while towing. As said above, it amounts to admitting negligence. as owner of a vehicle, it is expected you are to be informed as to what the owner's manual says and what the specifications are of the truck and therefore it's capabilities, and to stay within the parameters of those capabilities.

Educate yourself and remember your insurance policy is a contract. You agree to abide by the terms of it as does the carrier. Get the full copy from your carrier and read it, just like you would any other contract you sign!

I have first-hand knowledge in the insurance arena...
I'll concede that bassJAM is correct because insurance "may refuse to cover anything."

But the chances that you wouldn't have coverage are very small. Obviously a person shouldn't knowingly tow without required weight distribution, and I wouldn't suggest readily admitting it if they do.

Personally I would use WD because: (a) it will tow better, and (b) it will be safer.

Quick Reply: Weight Distribution System or NOT?