General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanting to add elock diff to my 2011 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to add elock diff to my 2011 2wd

Hey guys I have a 2011 F150 5.0 2wd. Currently have a leveling kit with 33s. I would really like to add a locking differential to it since it is not 4wd. Would adding the ford system or aftermarket be better? Just want to know what a general price range is plus the ins and outs of what I should be expecting. I'm not really concerned about how much the cost will be just wanting to add this feature to my truck. Thanks everyone.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:51 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an '11 with the 3.7 engine and an 8.8" 3.73 open diff.
I bought the tuck about a month ago with 249,000 miles on it. It would make a thunk sound when coming to a stop, or taking off from one. I figured the rear end needed rebuilt.

My friend, who is a mechanic, installed new Yukon ring and pinion, new bearings and seals, and he found me a used carrier to make it a limited slip. He charged me $550 out the door. I know the gears cost $200, and the used carrier was $50. I don't know what the other parts cost. I went with the used carrier because I figured I'd save some cash, and if for some reason I didn't like it, I could have him remove it (not gonna happen tho, I love the way it launches!)

I haven't googled the cost of an e locker. I imagine it's not cheap, and f on what I've read, I don't know if they made it available on the 2wd trucks. One thing about the elocker is you have to manually lock it, (by pulling the 4wd **** outward) and I don't know if there is a limit as to speed of the vehicle.

Another option is called a lunchbox locker. I think they run around $350 and up. Thing is, I guess they make a clicking noise when you turn because of the way they work.

Here is some discussion from people about the e locker.
https://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=98500

I don't have a lot in my truck, and I originally bought it as a third vehicle. Thing is, my 2012 sonata SE hasn't been driven much since I got the truck. It runs great, and I get 20+ mpg consistently. Lol, even my mechanic said it looks and drives like it has 25,000 miles, not 250,000. It was a fleet vehicle, and they must have had a great service regimen.

Keep me posted as to what you end up going with. I've seen arguments on here that you don't need limited slip because the traction control acts like a limited slip. My thoughts are, if you turn off your traction control, then you have nothing. I know that sometimes you need to get the wheels spinning in the snow in certain situations, and I've turned off traction control on the sonata in the past. Plus, with limited slip, you always have it, don't have to manually engage it, and there's no wiring to run.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:59 AM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

I have a 2WD with e-locker. Depends on what you can find in the salvage. It might be cheaper to just swap rear ends out. You'd have to run the wiring inside your cab for the Ford system. It's a **** just like the 4WD selector, but it has two positions-on or off. Be aware that if you flash your ECU to operate the Ford locker, it will shut off after 25 MPH automatically. I'm not sure of the aftermarket ones since I had a factory one. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:12 AM

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by javeedmoe1
Hey guys I have a 2011 F150 5.0 2wd. Currently have a leveling kit with 33s. I would really like to add a locking differential to it since it is not 4wd. Would adding the ford system or aftermarket be better? Just want to know what a general price range is plus the ins and outs of what I should be expecting. I'm not really concerned about how much the cost will be just wanting to add this feature to my truck. Thanks everyone.
I just bought a complete rear end for $500 out of a 2014 with 3k miles 3.55 and elocker. If wanting to go that route it's cheaper than any traction device installed if the factory system uses 12v to engage the locker run toggle switch and relay and done.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by DanAustin
I just bought a complete rear end for $500 out of a 2014 with 3k miles 3.55 and elocker. If wanting to go that route it's cheaper than any traction device installed if the factory system uses 12v to engage the locker run toggle switch and relay and done.
Nice deal you got there! $600 less than the cheapest one we could find around here. I'm thrilled with the way mine turned out. Interested to see how it handles the winter. My old 93 f150 with the open diff would not move out of the driveway if there was an inch of snow on the paved driveway.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:38 AM

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Erock67
Nice deal you got there! $600 less than the cheapest one we could find around here. I'm thrilled with the way mine turned out. Interested to see how it handles the winter. My old 93 f150 with the open diff would not move out of the driveway if there was an inch of snow on the paved driveway.
they are all over in scrap yards and Craigslist here. I bought it to build as I keep snapping axle shafts and I'm sure even though I clean the crap out of the housing each time the bearing are full of metal and not going to last forever. I'm gonna regear it and use Yukon shafts.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:51 AM

I bought the tuck about a month ago with 249,000 miles on it. It would make a thunk sound when coming to a stop, or taking off from one. I figured the rear end needed rebuilt.

My friend, who is a mechanic, installed new Yukon ring and pinion, new bearings and seals, and he found me a used carrier to make it a limited slip. He charged me $550 out the door. I know the gears cost $200, and the used carrier was $50. I don't know what the other parts cost. I went with the used carrier because I figured I'd save some cash, and if for some reason I didn't like it, I could have him remove it (not gonna happen tho, I love the way it launches!)

I haven't googled the cost of an e locker. I imagine it's not cheap, and f on what I've read, I don't know if they made it available on the 2wd trucks. One thing about the elocker is you have to manually lock it, (by pulling the 4wd **** outward) and I don't know if there is a limit as to speed of the vehicle.

Another option is called a lunchbox locker. I think they run around $350 and up. Thing is, I guess they make a clicking noise when you turn because of the way they work.

I don't have a lot in my truck, and I originally bought it as a third vehicle. Thing is, my 2012 sonata SE hasn't been driven much since I got the truck. It runs great, and I get 20+ mpg consistently. Lol, even my mechanic said it looks and drives like it has 25,000 miles, not 250,000. It was a fleet vehicle, and they must have had a great service regimen.

Keep me posted as to what you end up going with. I've seen arguments on here that you don't need limited slip because the traction control acts like a limited slip. My thoughts are, if you turn off your traction control, then you have nothing. I know that sometimes you need to get the wheels spinning in the snow in certain situations, and I've turned off traction control on the sonata in the past. Plus, with limited slip, you always have it, don't have to manually engage it, and there's no wiring to run.
Ok bud I'll keep you posted thanks for your input
Old 10-02-2016, 01:52 AM

Bring me one! Lol, hope your re-gear goes well. So far my Yukon gear is doing great.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by DanAustin
That's the exact type of deal I'm looking for. I guess my next step is to look around junk yards or Craigslist and see what I can find. But the wiring from the actual elocker to the switch itself is all that's necessary plus the flash?

Quick Reply: Wanting to add elock diff to my 2011 2wd