General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vibration problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration problem

ive got a 2005 f150 supercrew I noticed a vibration on the way home one evening when I hit the brakes to slow down it shook really bad like the rotors were warped ive already replaced front brakes and drilled and slotted rotors about 3000 miles ago when I get home I feel for heat on all wheels found front left wheel much hotter than the others and could smell brakes burning so I replaced the brake hose and caliper been fine for 2 months or so last night started the same shaking again so checked wheels both front and rear wheels on right side were noticeably hotter than driver side same brake smell truck has 73000 miles on it any help finding the interminte problem thanks
Old 12-06-2013, 10:06 PM
The Dodge Slayer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

A new caliper could still be hang'n up if they made a mistake assembling it.
Or, Maybe some dirt got in the line or new caliper when you put them on keeping the fluid from returning? That would cause the problem to be intermittent to.
How about the slide bolts? Are they clean, lubed, and rust free?
The following users liked this post:
Bluescrew05 (12-08-2013)
Old 12-06-2013, 10:47 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

My '13 will do that on a hard stop but on slow or normal stops it does fine. No shaking. The ABS is trying to keep the rear wheels from locking up and causing the vibration.

Does your vibrate or pulse on normal or slow stops?
Bluescrew05 (12-08-2013)
Old 12-07-2013, 06:55 AM

Received 83 Likes on 78 Posts

Check your rotors again & make sure there is no galling. Especially on the piston side. Galling will cause what your describing.
Bluescrew05 (12-08-2013)
Old 12-07-2013, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the new caliper on the left front seems to be ok not getting hot it was the first time this happened that's y I replaced the caliper and hose was fine for 2 months now did this again opposite side of the truck and both front and rear are getting hot this time it does not feel like abs it will start shaking will driving down the road like the tires are out of balance then if u use the brakes soft or hard shakes really bad let it cool over night drive it today all is fine I also lubed all the slides and pins when I put the brakes on I work in a shop and no one I work with can figure this out with it being come and go and a different wheel getting hot and brake sticking everytime

Last edited by Bluescrew05; 12-07-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:20 AM

Received 83 Likes on 78 Posts

If you have determined that your rotors & calipers are good, you'll have to look elsewhere in the system. Have you tried flushing the system? Old brake fluid can get "sludgy". If there is a check valve of some kind in the ABS unit & its sticking, preventing pressure release, pulling clean fresh brake fluid thru may clean & free things up. If thats where your problem is. I know this suggestion is a long shot, but a fluid flush is cheap & easy to do & should be done anyway. Good luck.
Bluescrew05 (12-08-2013)

Quick Reply: vibration problem