General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upcomming sand dunes trip. Need tips/ advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 07:29 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Upcomming sand dunes trip. Need tips/ advice

Like the title states my family and I are making a trip to the sand dunes. We are going up to Silver Lake in Michigan. Bring tow straps and be ready to air down. What else is needed or something to remember? This is our first trip up there.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:37 PM

Received 1,390 Likes on 664 Posts

Yep, air down for sure. I run no more than 12 PSI in my tires. Usually 12 in the front and 8-10 in the rear. Keep an eye on the trans temp (auto) driving around in sand will heat your trans quick. I found in my Ranger and combo of 4low in second gear keeps the trans happy. Other than that, take it easy on the hills until you know what they look like on the other side, its been pretty windy which can under cut the backside leaving a drop off after the peak. Watch a few other trucks go up and over before you try it. Watch out for idiots, especially quads and bikes, they dont pay attention usually. The big hills are one way traffic only so watch the signs. Other than that, take it easy until you know how your truck handles up there and have fun! I havent been up yet this year but I need to.

Oh yeah one more thing, stay out of the water! The water holes can be very deceiving. Ive seen some pretty massive trucks get swallowed in some of the water holes. Dont forget your camera, the view is awesome and there are some pretty bad *** rigs up there usually.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:53 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

He also needs to have a flag of some sort on the front aswell, iirc
Old 06-07-2012, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by 97madness
He also needs to have a flag of some sort on the front aswell, iirc
Yeah but thats a given, you can buy them anywhere there.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:06 PM

Yea I do need a flag. i heard it is best to pick one up from the local shops around there. From what I read it need to be a 10ft flag, or is it 10ft from the ground? I am going to make a quick easy mount that goes on the tow hook. I see people use foam like roll bar padding or the pool noodle things to go over the pole so it doesn't hit the truck. As far as ORV stickers do i pick one up when I enter the park or do i have to go somewhere and get one. This is my first time going to a state park and wheeling. i have been to the badlands a few times but no state parks.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Whapt68
Yea I do need a flag. i heard it is best to pick one up from the local shops around there. From what I read it need to be a 10ft flag, or is it 10ft from the ground? I am going to make a quick easy mount that goes on the tow hook. I see people use foam like roll bar padding or the pool noodle things to go over the pole so it doesn't hit the truck. As far as ORV stickers do i pick one up when I enter the park or do i have to go somewhere and get one. This is my first time going to a state park and wheeling. i have been to the badlands a few times but no state parks.
Yeah get the flags there, they are all the same length and if mounted anywhere on your truck it will be tall enough, dont get the two piece one, they suck. Most flags cost about $20. Tow hook is a good place for it, make sure its nice and sturdy. Hit up the voucher station right before the gate and you can get your voucher, (you need these on most weekends in the summer, get there early if its a busy weekend) ORV sticker and state park pass if you dont already have one. Dont know what the ORV's cost this year, they were $16.25 last year and state park pass is $10 and good for a year now. Vouchers are free.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:46 PM

The state park pass and ORV sticker was my concern. i have never had to deal with any of that kind of stuff before. This is all new to me. i got a feeling there will be many more trips there. We are planning on going July 14&15th. Just trying to get everything in order ahead of time. So basiclly i get a state park pass(good for a year),ORV sticker for my truck, and a voucher which allows you to go on the dunes. I appreciate all the help. I really look forward to some family fun.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:12 PM

Yeah state park and ORV will be good for the year. The vouchers are only good for that day. Youll have a blast, it really is alot of fun and there are many things to do around the state park as well. I assume you are from Michigan than?
Old 06-07-2012, 10:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well sign me up to go with. If all is well I will join just wish more people had some quads to take.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:52 PM

Beefy you won't go. This is for the serious guys.

Quick Reply: Upcomming sand dunes trip. Need tips/ advice