Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to decide between the V8 or V6 2nd Gen Ecoboost 2017. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 08:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Trying to decide between the V8 or V6 2nd Gen Ecoboost 2017. HELP!

I am in the process of buying a new 2017 Ford F150! My last truck was a Platinum 2014 with a 6.5 foot bed and a 6.2 liter engine! I got use to the bed size and the 6.2 liter engine. The new trucks I am looking at are a 2017 Platinum with a V8 but the shorter 5.5 foot bed. Although I like the engine and I like the look of the truck better with a 5.5 foot bed, especially with a lift! I liked the extra foot in the bed because I store a lot of stuff back there like a cooler, fishing poles, surf boards and beach chairs and they all fit perfect in the 6.5 bed I have. My other option has the longer bed I like but it has the V6 ecoboost 2nd generation! and when I drove a simular truck with that engine I got to say I'm not sure if I liked it? It was very jumpy! Fast but fast like you would want in a sports car! I drive on the beach a lot and usually want a strong slow pull out of any situation I get in! I'm worried that the V6 won't have that strong slow pull out of a situation and instead kick into turbo and sink my ***! Is this a legit concern? I know the Raptor I have always wanted has the V6 ecoboost but super charged and that is meant for beach conditions so should I be concerned? What do you all like? The V6 or V8?
Old 03-30-2017, 09:24 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I just bought a 17 F150 FX4 with a 5.0, so far I really enjoy it I choose this motor first because I like a V8. I did not care for the 3.5 ecoboost because of the auto start/stop yes I know it can be turned off. Am just not a fan of the ecoboost, plus this is the first year of the 10 speed transmission so I didn't want to be a guinea pig for Ford. Good luck on whatever engine size you choose.
The following users liked this post:
robertcourtney (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 10:15 AM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

The V-6 gets it's power and torque at MUCH lower rpm's than the 5.0 V8. Sounds like it will be a much better fit for your needs.

My 14 has the 5.0. For my uses either engine would have worked equally well and I bought the truck I liked at the best price without much consideration as to the engine. Both are great engines with lots of power and torque, but the 5.0 needs to be running close to 4000 rpm to get power, the 3.5 closer to 2500 rpm. With the same gearing tow ratings are pretty close, you'll spend more time in lower gears with the V8 though.

I've driven trucks with 5', 5.5', 6', 6.5', 7' and 8' beds. The Tacoma with the 5' bed is a little short, but I've never found anything I could fit into a 6.5' bed that I couldn't fit in a 5.5' bed. On a Supercrew I'll take the shorter wheel base and turning radius over the extra 1' of bed every time. On a Crew Cab 6.5" is fine and I have no issue with an 8' bed on a regular cab.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 310 Likes on 238 Posts

Everybody on the forum knows how much I detest the gen. 1 EcoBust engine. What a gimmick. But you know, now that the gen. 2 engine is out and supposedly fixes all the problems of the gen. 1, I honestly would give it a look. The torque output of 470 peak with a fairly flat curve, mated to the 10-speed, in a lighter aluminum truck would be a very powerful combo that's even stepping on the toes of the light duty diesels. Yep, I'll admit, when I go shopping again I'll test drive the new EcoBoost.

For you, the turbo lag is noticeable to me but it's not something that is going to sink you on the beach. It's really only an issue when you purposefully want to take off quickly.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:42 AM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

I think there's really no wrong engine choice. Go test drive each one as close to the trim/options as you want and decide on the engine that turns you on the most. Be thoughtful on the gear ratio choice of each. It can affect power delivery and the feel of the truck. Also be mindful of any upgrades you may do in the future. It's easier to plan ahead.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:30 AM

Received 487 Likes on 341 Posts

It's all about test driving them and seeing which one suits your needs. The Eco and 5.0 have very different power curves and drive different. It took a while for me to adjust my driving style with the Eco.

First year of the 10 speed may be a factor for you, but keep in mind that any changes in the near future are going to be software changes, not hard parts. So you can get the updates done if you find any drive-ability issues.

IMO, the power and TQ of the Eco will be more in line with your 6.2 than the 5.0.

good luck and post up what you end up with!
Old 03-31-2017, 03:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for your replies! They all made good sense. The V6 I test drove was a base trim line model! Was not thinking that could make a difference in the ride but it makes sense it would. The V6 I test drove had the shift on the Column where the Platinum has the shift on the floor! The v6 I test drove had a Sport and Tow feature which changed the ride! Does the V6 platinum have that or maybe even more features? My Platinum now has a manual shift up and down on the shifter! does the new V6 Platinum have that as well? The Auto OFF/ON feature really bugged me out! I will need to get use to that if I get the V6 or just turn it off. I love the Idea of new technology and always like to move forward with new technology but with this new V6 I'm a little worried! First geration 10 speed and Seems like it relies a lot on computer software? Is the V8 also more computer driven now of days? These trucks already have a lot of features on them that are all computer driven do I want that in my engine as well or do both have the same software stuff now? Again I like the new technology, why not get the newest best technologies available! I wouldn't buy a 2k TV when I could buy a 4k? However, the V8 gives me comfort like an old friend, V8 seems to be at home in the F150. V6 can take me to new horizons though, expend my experiences? Maybe I'll never want a V8 again after owning it? Tough Choice still. I am going to test drive a V6 ecoboost Platinum and then a V8 Platinum tomorrow and then make my choice. Either way I'm sure I'll be happy with either engine! Thanks again for your feedback, every feedback helped me! Any more helpful advice before I make my decision?
Old 03-31-2017, 07:41 PM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

Pay attention to axle ratios on the models you test drive. I was buying used and was somewhat neutral on the engine. But every single V6 I drove had 3.31 gears, every V8 I drove had 3.55 gears. The V6 is supposed to have more power, but the difference in gear ratios all but evened things out. I was able to buy a 2014 V8 for the same price as a 2013 V6 with 10,000 more miles on it. Had everything been equal I'd have probably gone V6. But I just felt I got a lot more truck for the same money with the V8 and while it is slightly less powerful, it'll do anything I need.

If I towed more weight, or more often, I'd have held out for the V6 and lower gears.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:04 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

With the EB gear ratios are not a big deal for towing, the engine has more than enough power to make up for it, but the 5.0 needs the shorter gears due to where it develops the torque.

What would be an ultimate test drive is to mate each perspective truck up to a test trailer and climb a grade. More than likely more EB's would be chosen in that test drive.

My 14 may she RIP, pulled a 6300# travel trailer up the Colorado mountains with ease and it had the tallest gears available, 3.15. The downside is that it needed a lower gear to do it than if it had 3.73 gear. Because of that it needed more boost and with a tune it tended to get too hot.

The one I have now has 3.55 gears and should pull that same trailer even better.

The 14 though, was a BEAST with an 87 tune. The 3.15 gears made it feel like it had a jetpack on the tail, it got up and moved. My 16 though, not so much because of the shorter gearing and the different programming with Sport mode. Ford took away some of that pedal quickness in normal mode by adding Sport. I hope to get that back with a tune.

On the 5.0, with 3.55 or 3.73, it should be pretty quick once it hits hit power band, ad it will tow very good, but at a much higher RPM than the EB will. I never tried it in Sport when I had a loaner(didn't know it had it), so can't compare what they are like in the giddy up department, it felt like a slug compared to the 14, but after getting the 16 EB, it is just as much a slug, so that is all in the programming.

Either way, you can't go wrong with either engine, both are best on the market out of any brand, just keep in mind, like previously noted, the 17 is a new engine and transmission, so there will be some bugs to work out.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:45 PM

Received 220 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by robertcourtney
I am in the process of buying a new 2017 Ford F150! My last truck was a Platinum 2014 with a 6.5 foot bed and a 6.2 liter engine! I got use to the bed size and the 6.2 liter engine. The new trucks I am looking at are a 2017 Platinum with a V8 but the shorter 5.5 foot bed. Although I like the engine and I like the look of the truck better with a 5.5 foot bed, especially with a lift! I liked the extra foot in the bed because I store a lot of stuff back there like a cooler, fishing poles, surf boards and beach chairs and they all fit perfect in the 6.5 bed I have. My other option has the longer bed I like but it has the V6 ecoboost 2nd generation! and when I drove a simular truck with that engine I got to say I'm not sure if I liked it? It was very jumpy! Fast but fast like you would want in a sports car! I drive on the beach a lot and usually want a strong slow pull out of any situation I get in! I'm worried that the V6 won't have that strong slow pull out of a situation and instead kick into turbo and sink my ***! Is this a legit concern? I know the Raptor I have always wanted has the V6 ecoboost but super charged and that is meant for beach conditions so should I be concerned? What do you all like? The V6 or V8?
Why