Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TruckCap-Topper-shell with Dogs:

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TruckCap-Topper-shell with Dogs:

Hi there,
So I'm about to order an A.R.E. Z series truckcap for my 2016 F150 S.Crew, shortbed Platinum.

I have a big dog, she'll only be riding in the back in a strapped down kennel, and only on days that its not warm. Those warm days she'll ride in the cab with me.

So I can't decide between which windows to get:
The frameless glass that comes in the Z series looks great, more SUV than camper shell. Only part of the window opens however, and it only tilts out 4 or 5 inches with a screen.

You can get it with the older style sliding windows, with the gasket all the way around. Doen't look as good but they slide half way open for more air flow.

Does anyone have dogs with the frameless windows? Am I ok to order those or should I go sliding? Any pics of Z series on 2015/16 F150's would be great too. I'm Ingot Silver.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:52 PM

Received 482 Likes on 354 Posts

Quite frankly ... if you're ok w/ the dog riding in the cab with you sometimes, why not let her/him ride up there with you all the time, and save the expense of the camper/cap?

Also, another thought ... since you have a platinum model, I'm sure it has the power sliding rear glass. So if you're getting a cap, then get one that basically seals up against the cab w/ a rubber gasket and then just open the sliding window and let the AC in there to keep it cool enough for the dog. Then, you don't end up with hair or scratches in the seats in your cab.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:20 PM

Thanks for your reply, I need the truckcap for other things as well, not just the doggie.
I've been told by the dealer that the rubber gasket on all the brands doesn't keep the rain out, they never work effectively.

Anyone else out there with some experience with the frameless glass toppers and dogs?
Old 08-29-2016, 05:29 PM
On down the highway

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Heres a Z series on a 16 reg cab...6.5 ft bed
I would have to look but they make another cap with bigger slider windows..might be a cheaper option?

TruckCap-Topper-shell with Dogs:-20160819_180343.jpg
Old 08-29-2016, 05:31 PM

Mudder, do you think on a mild day (not warm at all) with your cab window open and the Cap windows tilted open a dog would have enough air?
Old 08-29-2016, 05:49 PM
On down the highway

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisnatx
Mudder, do you think on a mild day (not warm at all) with your cab window open and the Cap windows tilted open a dog would have enough air?
On a mild day sure...I do think the slider windows would be better for more air. If you leave the moonroof and rear slider open it would have a better cross breeze....had that setup on my 14
Personally I would not leave them unattended on a sunny day unless its cold out...my 2002 250, dog ripped apart the screen trying to get at something
Old 08-29-2016, 06:03 PM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

I've been told by the dealer that the rubber gasket on all the brands doesn't keep the rain out, they never work effectively.
I think a lot depends on the truck style. I have an 07 Tacoma that will probably never be able to keep water out. I always have a small puddle and after 9 years don't see that changing. It is just the way the front of the bed is designed.

My 14 F-150 with my Leer cap does not leak a drop. I've tried hard with the water hose by spraying water into nooks and crannies where rain would never get and it still doesn't leak.

Not advising Leer. I honestly think both are equal caps, but a Leer dealer is simply closer and easier for me.

I don't think which windows you choose really matters with the dog. It will either be too hot for it to be back there or not.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi there,
So I'm about to order an A.R.E. Z series truckcap for my 2016 F150 S.Crew, shortbed Platinum.

I have a big dog, she'll only be riding in the back in a strapped down kennel, and only on days that its not warm. Those warm days she'll ride in the cab with me.

The frameless glass that comes in the Z series looks great, more SUV than camper shell. Only part of the window opens however, and it only tilts out 4 or 5 inches with a screen.

You can get it with the older style sliding windows, with the gasket all the way around. Doen't look as good but they slide half way open for more air flow.

Does anyone have dogs with the frameless windows? Am I ok to order those or should I go sliding? Any pics of Z series on 2015/16 F150's would be great too. I'm Ingot Silver.

I have a unicover legend topper which has the frameless glass, basically the same as the ARE z series. I hauled 2 hunting dogs in kennels
back there for 10 yrs. In the summer/ fall I keep both vent windows open as far as they go (3-4 "). When you are moving there is plenty of cross ventilation. Depending on the temp and how much sun I would not leave them back there too long when parked. Similar to keeping a dog in a car ot n a hot day. Difference is the windows are quite dark which keeps out a lot of solar gain.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:18 PM
XLT FX4 the Gundog

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi there,

I purchased the ARE Z series for my 16' XLT Crew Short Bed with the pop out side vent window. I hunt and have a dog and have been told the side vent plus opening the rear slider window will provide plenty of airflow. Here is a pic of my truck. Did you get your ARE yet and are you happy with the fit? My shell height seems lower than the CAB height but other than that, very happy with the design and functionality

Last edited by 2016Supercrew; 11-25-2016 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:45 PM

Received 1,607 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Wiggum
Quite frankly ... if you're ok w/ the dog riding in the cab with you sometimes, why not let her/him ride up there with you all the time, and save the expense of the camper/cap?
Well, one obvious answer would be: When you have HUMANS up in the cab and there isn't enough room for a dog as well.

Quick Reply: TruckCap-Topper-shell with Dogs: