General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck Problems!!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck Problems!!?

I think it all started the day before forgot to get gas, drove it low fuel...So the next day had to drive into town with fuel light on and by time got there was very low in gas, made it there put gas in and after about 20-25 minutes later, driving the check engine came on...So I turned around and started driving back home after about 15-20 minutes the car starts to stall very badly, coming to a stop and idling really bad I would hit the gas to get it off the road and it just wouldn’t move.

I turned it off and then back on and it would start up no problem but it just wouldn’t do anything like it wasn’t getting fuel...After a few times I gave up. I got it towed home.

When computer was on it, it was giving me the codes P2270 and P0191
I was told that the faulty fuel rail pressure sensor was the reason for the O2 sensor code.
The truck would start but not do anything else like it wasn’t getting fuel so the FRP sensor made sense, so i replaced that and after I replaced it now the truck will crank but just not turn over...Sounds like it wants to start but just won’t!

I was going to replace the fuel filter tomorrow, figured it was all clogged from being ran low fuel...
but not exactly sure why it won’t start over?
Dirty injectors? How will i know if my fuel pump went out?

Its a 04 F150 with a 4.6

Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 05-10-2018, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone?
Old 05-10-2018, 08:10 PM

Received 797 Likes on 577 Posts

Well put a fuel pressure gauge on it to see if you have pressure. If you don't then replace your pump. If you have pressure (and you know you have spark) then you can start looking at injectors. Could be too the filter sock on the pump got clogged too.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelReuter
I think it all started the day before forgot to get gas, drove it low fuel...So the next day had to drive into town with fuel light on and by time got there was very low in gas, made it there put gas in and after about 20-25 minutes later, driving the check engine came on...So I turned around and started driving back home after about 15-20 minutes the car starts to stall very badly, coming to a stop and idling really bad I would hit the gas to get it off the road and it just wouldn’t move.

I turned it off and then back on and it would start up no problem but it just wouldn’t do anything like it wasn’t getting fuel...After a few times I gave up. I got it towed home.

I was told that the faulty fuel rail pressure sensor was the reason for the O2 sensor code.
The truck would start but not do anything else like it wasn’t getting fuel so the FRP sensor made sense, so i replaced that and after I replaced it now the truck will crank but just not turn over...Sounds like it wants to start but just won’t!

I was going to replace the fuel filter tomorrow, figured it was all clogged from being ran low fuel...
Dirty injectors? How will i know if my fuel pump went out?

Its a 04 F150 with a 4.6

Any help would be much appreciated!
does not hurt to change out the filter. now a days the OEMs are loosing filters which erks me....
Old 05-10-2018, 09:35 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelReuter

Its a 04 F150 with a 4.6
What do the codes signify? You mentioned one, but not the other.
"Turn over" is what the starter does to the engine. Also called "crank". "Fire" or "start" is what happens when the engine starts running. It sounds like you're trying to say that the engine turns over but does not start. "Start over" is meaningless.

Anyway, tell people what the codes mean, and try to give details of what, exactly, happens when you turn the key to Start. Any popping noises, or signs that the engine is about to start. Or the engine just turns but does not even pop, no combustion at all. Your description is really vague.

And, even without a pressure gauge you can press the Schrader valve and see if fuel comes out. Might be a clue. You can also try starting fluid to see if it starts then dies, which would be a sign of good spark and timing but with fuel problems.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:44 AM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

Perhaps just bad fuel.

Fuel pump sucking on an almost empty fuel tank is not good either.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:36 PM

Received 3,101 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Have you checked your FPDM (fuel pump driver module) right above the spare tire? Take it off and inspect the back for corrosion / holes.

04-08 trucks are notorious for having that issue.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:21 PM

Received 1,144 Likes on 715 Posts

If you're having fuel system problems right after refueling my guess would be bad gas. If driving on low fuel would hurt anything every vehicle I've had would have died an early death. My nephew's police cruiser is in the shop now for repairs due to bad gas. He had to be towed in. Same symptoms as you, check engine light, started bucking, loss of power, and stalling.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

First check your fuel psi and see where it’s at. It should hold psi on the gauge when u turn the key back off and not bleed right back down. Then I would disconnect the line at the rail key it up and have someone watch the flow coming from the line. You can have good psi but not enough volume. If it’s dribbling out I would start with a fuel filter. If there is no psi verify power and ground at the fuel pump. If you have good power and ground st the pump then it’s time for a pump.

Quick Reply: Truck Problems!!?