General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TRS HID PROJECTOR RETROFIT: Installation thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 05:57 PM

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

Default TRS HID PROJECTOR RETROFIT: Installation thread

This thread to share tips and ask questions about installing TRS Projector HID retrofits into our trucks...

The kits are now available on a group buy.

We have three threads for this group buy. Please post in the correct one!
Old 08-01-2011, 05:58 PM

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

[placeholder]
Old 08-03-2011, 05:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'll have a complete guide coming soon for the MiniH1 kit. For a step-by-step guide on how we did our FXR installation, see here:

http://www.f150online.com/forums/200...-retrofit.html
Old 08-04-2011, 06:48 AM
09 FX4

Received 179 Likes on 89 Posts

Anybody planning on painting the whole reflector. I'm at least going to paint the chrome trim black and shade out the side marker to match the HD lights but thought about doing the whole reflector. The turn indicator area will be left alone but thought a chrome shroud in a black housing would be something a little more noticeable.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:34 AM
09 FX4

I spent a couple hours yesterday opening up the fog and headlamp housings. The fog housings were very simple, 240 for 10 minutes and was able to pry them apart. Start opposite of the tab. 30 minutes and I was down with them.

The tool that I used was a 1/2" chisel. Very sharp edge to get between layers and very strong to pry apart.

For the headlamp housings, the first one took me 2 hours, the second one less than 45 minutes. What took me 2 hours to realize is that clear lens sits in a u-channel. When the permaseal is applied it is on both sides of the clear lens and fills the u-channel. What you need to do is pry the permaseal off the outer clear lens, not the clear lens from the black rear housing. You can only pry the permaseal off the outer part of the clear lens.

On the first housing, I was tring to pry the black housing apart from the lens, it didn't do much since the permaseal just stretched and moaned.

What worked, remove rear headlamp gasket, rear screw and vertical adjusting mechanism. Set oven at 230. Put cardboard on rack. Set housing on rack not touching any part of the ove. Soak for 20 minutes. Pry the permaseal off the outer clear lens. I was able to go around 3/4 of it. Put back in for 5 - 10 minutes. Finish prying permaseal off rest of housing. The easiest area I found to start separation was at the corner of the turn lamp. Here I started to pry the clear housing out. Put back into oven for 5 - 10 minutes. Finish prying open the housing to where you can get your hands to force the parts apart. Go slow and allow the permaseal to release from the inside of the clear lens. I was able to almost get it completely apart but put it back in the over for a few more minutes. After that the pieces came apart fairly easy.

While second housing was in the oven I worked on getting the permaseal out of the channel on first housing. Comparing the two housings, the first one looked like a hack job, the second could not hardly tell it was messed with.

Tonight I'll get the remaining of the permaseal out of second housing and possibly paint the chrome trim piece black (the HD look) and shade the side reflector.

Last edited by stormsearch; 08-15-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Pretty much the same strategy I used on the OEM housings, permaseal is a biotch. Nice work.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:08 PM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by stormsearch
Anybody planning on painting the whole reflector. I'm at least going to paint the chrome trim black and shade out the side marker to match the HD lights but thought about doing the whole reflector. The turn indicator area will be left alone but thought a chrome shroud in a black housing would be something a little more noticeable.
I've already painted all of mine, except the headlight reflector, which I'll do when I install the projectors. Along with the halos and everything else
Old 08-22-2011, 07:25 AM
09 FX4

I completed the painting but one has a smudge on it, going to have to sand it down and go over it again. Decided not to paint the reflector or shrouds. I will however paint the cut-off shields likely white.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a heads up on a few things. I received my kit last Thursday. I was going to do the install over the weekend and thought I was short the H13 adapters. After contacting TRS I was told the adapters are not compatible with the F150 Ford lights. Rotation will have to be set the manual way. Steps 6 and 10 from the posted guide.

When pulling the lights from the truck you may want to run some tape around the gap between the fender and light housing to protect your paint also a couple of micro fiber cloths slid in between the bottom of the light housing and the front bumper filler will help protect from chips. After removing the three 10mm bolts pull the housing forward, it may take a good tug to release it. The housing is held to the fender with two flat spring clips. They can be a bitch to release.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:28 PM
09 FX4

Thanks for letting us know. I just went thru all the components tonight and couldn't figure out how to adjust after install. Glad you mentioned this, will now plan more time to get this installed and aligned.

Quick Reply: TRS HID PROJECTOR RETROFIT: Installation thread