Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tremor is gone

Old 07-21-2017, 09:14 AM

Received 257 Likes on 159 Posts

Default Tremor is gone

After searching and looking and test driving a bunch, I got rid of the Tremor. It was vastly underwhelming in every way, which is unfortunate. It had potential to be great, and while on paper it was (3.5 TT with 4.10 gears in an RCSB), it left a lot to be desired. Additionally, having recently got married and now having a step-daughter, it was time for a back seat.

I drove a 17 Screw STX, a 17 GMC Sierra Elevation extended cab and a 17 Ram 1500 lone star crew cab. When I signed on the dotted line, I took home a new Ram. I've had 10 Ford Trucks (1 ranger and 9 F150s ranging from '86-'14), but the ram was just superior. It feels bigger on the inside, the sound system is far better than anything Ford has put in any f150, it is more comfortable, and there is no comparison on ride quality. Being that I don't load the bed down with heavy loads, the lower payload doesn't effect me in the least. The goofy rotary shift **** is a bit gimmicky, but if that's my only complaint, I'm ok with that. Time will only tell how it holds up in the future, but for now, I'll enjoy it.

I could never get better than right at 18mpg in the tremor, and thats after filling up and getting straight on the highway. I drove half a tank around town in the ram Mon-Wed, then about 3 hours highway for work yesterday, and it's sitting at 18.9 on the trucks readout right now. Not sure how accurate this one is, my tremor showed high by 0.9.

I'm sure I'll pop in from time to time and see if I can contribute anything worth hearing, but after 20 years, the Ford streak is broken for now.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:26 AM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Nah, sucks to hear, but as long as you're happy
Old 07-21-2017, 09:30 AM

I gave them all a fair shot with an open mind for a change. I honestly wasn't even going to drive the dodge. I was on my way home and made a last minute decision to stop by the dealership and I'm glad I did. I'm certain I would have been happy in any of them, this one just took the edge.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:59 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

At least it don't have square wheel well's..
The following users liked this post:
Wanted33 (07-21-2017)
Old 07-21-2017, 10:01 AM
SSDD

Originally Posted by techrep
That's always a plus and besides, RAM trucks look pretty good
Old 07-21-2017, 10:03 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Agree...
Old 07-21-2017, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by techrep
The wheel wells on GM trucks don't bother me at all. Personally, I think the GMC is the best looking of the lot, followed by the Ford then the dodge.

The 5.7 with the 3.92 gears is a stout combo as well. As far as options go, to get a comparably equipped F150, it would have cost me closet to $40k based on my research. The ram has every option of a Laramie except leather and HID lights. The ram box didn't interest me, so I wouldn't have looked for that anyway as it severely reduces the useable space of the bed.

Interesting side note, when I was in high school, my girlfriend's (at the time) dad was working on a patent with dodge for a tool box built into the bed of a truck. He would never show me the sketches or concept, but originally it was almost like a 2 piece hinged door kind of like a rolling toolbox that folds up and the front folds in toward the top. This was back in 97. When they introduced the ram box, I messaged her and sure enough, that was his design. He retired from his job at the local paper mill and now collects royalties and travels the country with his wife in an RV.

Last edited by bigred90gt; 07-21-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:17 AM

Received 87 Likes on 80 Posts

Eh... You'll be back once you figure out what a mistake you made
Old 07-21-2017, 10:20 AM
SSDD

Originally Posted by bigred90gt
The wheel wells on GM trucks don't bother me at all. Personally, I thing the GMC is the best looking of the lot, followed by the Ford then the dodge.

The 5.7 with the 3.92 gears is a stout combo as well. As far as options go, to get a comparably equipped F150, it would have cost me closet to $40 based on my research. The ram has every option of a Laramie except leather and HID lights. The ram box didn't interest me, so I wouldn't have looked for that anyway as it severely reduces the useable space of the bed.

Interesting side note, when I was in high school, my girlfriend's (at the time) dad was working on a patent with dodge for a tool box built into the bed of a truck. He would never show me the sketches or concept, but originally it was almost like a 2 piece hinged door kind of like a rolling toolbox that folds up and the front folds in toward the top. This was back in 97. When they introduced the ram box, I messaged her and sure enough, that was his design. He retired from his job at the local paper mill and now collects royalties and travels the country with his wife in an RV.
That's pretty cool.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:45 AM

Received 716 Likes on 425 Posts

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Ram. I was torn between the Ram and F150. Just before I made my decision, I ended up in a Ram 4x4 5.7 crewcab 6.5' bed truck for almost a week. Man, that thing rides nice! I ended up getting the Ford, because I really wanted some of the tech features like LED headlights. However, both are great. I don't regret my decision one bit, but do wish Ford could make these things ride as smooth as a Ram.

Since I don't really haul anything, I definitely would have gotten the RamBox option if I'd gone the Ram route. There is a ton of space in those things and they are a great place to stow items (I always keep jumper cables, tow straps, a basic winter survival gear kit, and miscellaneous items in my vehicles) that you want to have but probably won't need.

Search this Thread