Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Tow Package and Max Tow: What are they?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 06:13 AM

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Trailer Tow Package and Max Tow: What are they?

So I created a build and placed my order on 12/09/21 for a 2022 F-150 XLT with the 2.7 and 3.55 non-limited slip. I went with the Tow Tech Package and the 302A High among other things. I wasn't targeting being able to pull a house off of it's foundations, I just liked the trailer backup assist and the cameras, etc. I'm newer to towing so the priority was not running over/into things more than being able to tow 15,000 lbs. I'm going from a Tacoma to the F-150 because I'm going to buy a TT this summer and will start potentially building a new house soon...towing excavating equipment (small), lumber, etc. I needed something better than the Tacoma.

A week ago, I started really pinning down how much I could tow with the truck I built (I know a little late, but I'm learning as I go here) : 7,600lbs, not great. So I went into the dealership yesterday to upgrade to the 3.5L and to go from the non-limited slip 3.55, to the 3.55 locker. I joked "why does that Tow package exist? All it says it includes is":

• 7-pin Wiring Harness; Includes 7-pin-to-4-pin Adapter
• Class IV Trailer Hitch Receiver
• Pro Trailer Backup Assist – Not included on XL Base; Requires Tow Technology on XL High.
• Trailer Brake Controller
• Tailgate LED (Standard on LARIAT and higher)
• Smart Trailer Tow Connector includes BLIS® with Trailer Tow Coverage where BLIS® is Available

Between the 302a package and the Tow Technology Package, I have all of these options in the build already. That's when my salesman finally decided to share that any of the tow packages come with a radiator upgrade, transmission oil cooler, and a sway bar upgrade. Then he threw in there "I think the Max Tow comes with better springs, I'm not sure". He's young, nice kid; but surprisingly, he's not the only one who didnt know. I've reached out to other dealers, checked forums, called and chatted with Ford...they just rattle off the things mentioned above, no radiator upgrades, coolers etc. Eventually I did get a girl on a chat conversation with Ford who actually stated "No, for 2021 or 2022 the Tow Packages do not include any of the radiator, suspension, or oil cooling upgrades you've mentioned".

I would love a radiator upgrade, better sway bar, trans cooler, even better springs. I unfortunately cannot find ANYTHING in writing that actually says those things come with the 2021 or 2022 Max Tow or Trailer Tow packages on the F-150s. My salesman seemed insulted that I wasn't just taking his word for it, but I told him "I'm not spending $2,000 on a Max Tow Package, then just crossing my fingers and hoping it includes something other than what I already have".

My point? Does anyone know for sure what actually comes with these Tow packages? (outside of what they list on the build site) The price they're charging tells me my salesman may be correct, but it's bizarre that FORD wouldn't say that on their website.

Sorry, long post. This is probably part question, part venting

Last edited by Mike_; 12-31-2021 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Typos
The following users liked this post:
ValpoMike312 (01-31-2024)
Old 12-31-2021, 08:34 AM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

I'm newer to towing
Sometimes you just have to ignore what the charts say. In the real world around 8000 lbs is as much as MOST 1/2 ton trucks need to be towing regardless of the tow package, engine or axle. Ford, and others show 10,000-13,000 lbs on the charts if properly equipped. But that is under ideal conditions, with no passengers or cargo in the truck on level ground at sea level. And you won't find one 1/2 ton in a thousand actually on the road that has the right equipment to do that.

The limiting factor is almost always the trucks payload. Most F150's are in the 1700-1900 lb range. An 8000 lb trailer + a WDH will put 1150-1200 lbs on your hitch. Even with the rare truck with 2000 lbs payload that only leaves you 800ish lbs for passengers and cargo in the truck while towing.

Most 1/2 ton trucks will handle around 6000 lbs or less, but even at that some won't. If you want to tow between 6000-8000 lbs you need to choose carefully. Between 8000-10,000 it is time to at least think about moving up to a F250. Some F150's will do it, but it is usually easier to just go to a bigger truck. The closer you are to 10,000 the more I'd lean toward a 3/4 ton and certainly over 10,000.
The following 5 users liked this post by marshallr:
Antony_Albarran (01-01-2022), Bahamaroot (01-01-2022), Bratwurzt (01-04-2022), Johnny Paycheck (12-31-2021), RossRR (12-31-2021)
Old 12-31-2021, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by marshallr
Sometimes you just have to ignore what the charts say. In the real world around 8000 lbs is as much as MOST 1/2 ton trucks need to be towing regardless of the tow package, engine or axle. Ford, and others show 10,000-13,000 lbs on the charts if properly equipped. But that is under ideal conditions, with no passengers or cargo in the truck on level ground at sea level. And you won't find one 1/2 ton in a thousand actually on the road that has the right equipment to do that.

The limiting factor is almost always the trucks payload. Most F150's are in the 1700-1900 lb range. An 8000 lb trailer + a WDH will put 1150-1200 lbs on your hitch. Even with the rare truck with 2000 lbs payload that only leaves you 800ish lbs for passengers and cargo in the truck while towing.

Most 1/2 ton trucks will handle around 6000 lbs or less, but even at that some won't. If you want to tow between 6000-8000 lbs you need to choose carefully. Between 8000-10,000 it is time to at least think about moving up to a F250. Some F150's will do it, but it is usually easier to just go to a bigger truck. The closer you are to 10,000 the more I'd lean toward a 3/4 ton and certainly over 10,000.
Thanks for the input Marshall, as a newbie I have kind of verbalized what you just said in a more naïve way as "at some point, the engine doesn't matter if the trailer is heavy enough to push the truck around". This is why I would love to get some hard proof that the Max Tow Package actually comes with bigger springs, better sway bar, bigger gearset (9.75?)....basically if it addresses more than just the engine when it comes to towing, I'm interested in finding out more. Ford is just making it rather difficult.
Old 12-31-2021, 09:23 AM
dmd

Received 301 Likes on 213 Posts

For towing 15,000 you need a F350

if you plan to get a TT then get Max Tow

Yea, finding the info is tough but it is the tow guides. Interpretation of the data is the really tough part. Sales folks know nothing of what they sell. Don’t listen to them.
Old 12-31-2021, 10:10 AM

Received 422 Likes on 208 Posts

Go with the max tow package most bang for the buck.
The 36 gallon tank is your best friend when comes to towing.
Old 12-31-2021, 12:26 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_
My point? Does anyone know for sure what actually comes with these Tow packages?
You might try to talk to somebody in the parts department or the repair shop. They would be more likely to know than a manager or a salesperson.
Old 12-31-2021, 12:55 PM
Old Fart

Received 1,223 Likes on 857 Posts

The Order guide from Ford still tells you what it has, what it needs and what you cannot get with it
Trailer Package
Standard on Limited.
Available on XL, XLT, LARIAT, King Ranch® and Platinum.

Trailer Tow Package Includes:
• 7-pin Wiring Harness; Includes 7-pin-to-4-pin Adapter
• Pro Trailer Backup Assist – Not included on XL Base; Requires Tow Technology on XL High.
• Trailer Brake Controller
• Tailgate LED (Standard on LARIAT and higher)
• Smart Trailer Tow Connector includes BLIS® with Trailer Tow Coverage where BLIS® is Available

Optional Equipment:
• Ford Co-Pilot360™ 2.0 on XL High
• Tow Technology Package on XL High

NOTE: Ordering the Trailer Tow Package does not include Trailer Tow Mirrors. Trailer Tow Mirrors are a standalone option and must be ordered separately.
Max Tow
Requires:
• 3.5L EcoBoost® Engine
• 5.0L V8 Engine
• 3.5L PowerBoost Full Hybrid V6 Engine
• 3.0 L Diesel Engine
• Heavy-Duty Payload Package on XL

Includes:
• 3.55 Electronic-locking Rear-Axle (If ordered with 3.0L Diesel Engine, 3.5L EcoBoost Engine without Heavy-Duty Payload Package, 3.5L PowerBoost Full Hybrid V6 Engine with 4x2)
• 3.73 Electronic-locking Rear-Axle (If ordered with 5.0L V8 Engine 3.5L EcoBoost Engine with Heavy-Duty Payload Package, 3.5L PowerBoost Full Hybrid V6 Engine with 4x4)
• 7-pin Wiring Harness; Includes 7-Pin-to-4-Pin Adapter
• 36 Gallon Fuel tank (NA with 3.5L PowerBoost Full Hybrid V6 or 3.0L Diesel Engine
• Pro Trailer Backup Assist (Not included on XL)
• Pro Trailer Backup Assist – NA on XL Standard; Requires Tow Technology on XL High
• Smart Trailer Tow Connector (Includes BLIS® with Trailer Tow Coverage Where BLIS® is Available)
• Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
• Upgraded Rear Bumper

Optional Equipment
• Ford Co-Pilot360™ 2.0 on XL High
• Tow Technology Package High

Not available with:
• 17" Silver Steel
• 17" Silver Painted Aluminum Wheels
• 18" Chrome-like PVD Wheels
• 2.7L GTDI Engine
• 3.3L V6 Engine

NOTE: Ordering the Max Trailer Tow Package does not include Trailer Tow Mirrors. Trailer Tow Mirrors are a stand alone option and must be ordered separately.
Also remember a travel trailer and Boat/Equipment trailer are different for hitch weight. TT need 10-13% while a single axle boat or equipment trailer would need 6% and a Dual axle would need 5%.

Last edited by Siber Express; 12-31-2021 at 01:11 PM.
Johnny Paycheck (12-31-2021)
Old 12-31-2021, 02:05 PM

2022 isn't even shown on Ford.com's site yet, except for the Lightning and Super Duty. https://www.ford.com/

Just to discuss more things that haven't been asked, isn't the 2.7 kind of small for a vehicle intended to tow heavy loads on a regular basis? The forum is full of stories about the 3.5 overheating when used for towing. Really seems like you should be looking at Super Duty rigs if towing is a big part of your plan. You're using maximum capacity for your planning, when you should really be down at like 65% of max for regular use.

Also, don't overlook weight-distribution hitches. Towing is complicated. https://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx

Johnny Paycheck (12-31-2021)
Old 12-31-2021, 02:14 PM

Thank you Ken. Yes, that's what I've had for the past few weeks. I have the Tow Technology package and the Class IV hitch "package" already in the build. I couldn't believe the Trailer Tow Package didnt include anything I didnt already have in those 2 packages, and that the Max Trailer Tow Package just gave me a bigger gas tank and rear pumpkin.

I guess in years past the Max Tow included things like a radiator upgrade, tranny cooler, even bigger brakes and stronger springs. The image below is out of the "2022 Tow Guide" which I finally found online. It confirms the Max Tow no longer includes any of that. There's officially no point me getting the Trailer Tow package, and the extra $2,000 for the Max Tow is not worth it just to get the 9.75" gear set instead of the 8.8". It must be a supply chain issue, because it frankly doesn't make any sense. They're still selling the packages though, SMH.

I am still curious if anyone has ordered a 2021 or 2022 recently with either package and still received the radiator upgrade or trans cooler? Maybe Ford just doesn't want to put it in writing in case they run out of supplies again? Crazy times.

Last edited by Mike_; 12-31-2021 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 12-31-2021, 02:22 PM

https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

They have a calculator at the end of this document, the last three pages. Edit 3 - the maximum loaded trailer weight shown on Page 20, for the F150's is 14,000 lbs. So, if you go by Ford recommendations, you can't do what you want to do with an F150. Tow 15,000 lbs.

The F250 has all kinds of big numbers though, Page 25.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/d...t_r1_Nov29.pdf

Last edited by BareBonesXL; 12-31-2021 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Trailer Tow Package and Max Tow: What are they?