General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

told I need a new engine $13k 2004 Ft150

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default told I need a new engine $13k 2004 Ft150

Hello, I haven't been here for a while but I need some help.

I have a 2004 F150 Super Crew Cab 4x4 with nearly 180k mile 5.4 Triton v8 with Roush super charger.

I had some engine electrical work done a couple of months ago. 1 new coil and moved a couple others, oil change, etc. It was running great until a week ago when suddenly while turning a corner it started running very rough, missing, loping, spitting and coughing. I nursed it to a shop near my house. They said the issue is (paraphrasing) - the value timing is all over that place because there is so much metal and what looks like bearing material coming up from the bottom end of the engine that the sensors cant tell where the values are. I saw a lot of the codes and it was complaining about missing on most of the cylinders on both banks.
They said I need a new engine and it would be $13K out the door using a Ford rebuilt motor.

After calming down ... I have questions that the shop couldn't answer:
Does Ford really rebuild engines? If so are they worth $13K?
I found place in town that will swap in a rebuilt long block with a 4 year unlimited mile warranty for $7K out the door.
Should accept this shop's diagnosis? I can't drive it anyplace so I'll have to have it towed for a second opinion.
If what they say is true about my engine shouldn't I see a bunch of metal in the oil if I drain it?

It has almost 180,000 miles on the engine so if it isn't trashed now it probably doesn't have too many years/miles left on it.
This isn't my dream truck but it isn't bad, has decent paint so I wouldn't mind keeping it and driving it indefinitely but don't need a money pit either.

So please help me out! What do you think?

Old 04-27-2024, 09:43 AM

Received 1,149 Likes on 938 Posts

Originally Posted by FlatTop
Hello, I haven't been here for a while but I need some help.

I have a 2004 F150 Super Crew Cab 4x4 with nearly 180k mile 5.4 Triton v8 with Roush super charger.

I had some engine electrical work done a couple of months ago. 1 new coil and moved a couple others, oil change, etc. It was running great until a week ago when suddenly while turning a corner it started running very rough, missing, loping, spitting and coughing. I nursed it to a shop near my house. They said the issue is (paraphrasing) - the value timing is all over that place because there is so much metal and what looks like bearing material coming up from the bottom end of the engine that the sensors cant tell where the values are. I saw a lot of the codes and it was complaining about missing on most of the cylinders on both banks.
They said I need a new engine and it would be $13K out the door using a Ford rebuilt motor.

After calming down ... I have questions that the shop couldn't answer:
Does Ford really rebuild engines? If so are they worth $13K?
I found place in town that will swap in a rebuilt long block with a 4 year unlimited mile warranty for $7K out the door.
Should accept this shop's diagnosis? I can't drive it anyplace so I'll have to have it towed for a second opinion.
If what they say is true about my engine shouldn't I see a bunch of metal in the oil if I drain it?

It has almost 180,000 miles on the engine so if it isn't trashed now it probably doesn't have too many years/miles left on it.
This isn't my dream truck but it isn't bad, has decent paint so I wouldn't mind keeping it and driving it indefinitely but don't need a money pit either.

So please help me out! What do you think?
you have provided any actual codes. Also didn’t indicate how they made assessment of metal ‘coming up from bottom of engine”.

5.4 can be problematic, but I don’t think you have (or at least not shown) enough information to make an assessment of your engine.

my suggestion:

- pull codes and post the exact codes
- do an engine flush, inspect oil drain for particles; and cut open and inspect used filter
- fill with 5w39 and goos 5w30 and a good filter.

retest drive, pull codes again and post back results.

there is a ton of info on here about reman options, various suppliers, important parts considerations etc, just start searching and reading.

Last edited by laterongc; 04-27-2024 at 05:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by laterongc:
Johnny Paycheck (04-27-2024), kenv47 (04-27-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't record the codes but I'll do the things you suggest when I get it back home on Monday.

Thank you!
Old 04-27-2024, 09:30 PM

Received 1,289 Likes on 904 Posts

I wouldn't spend $13K on a 20 year old truck. Probably not $7K.

The rule of thumb is that anytime the cost to repair is 50% or more of the vehicles value it's time for the scrap yard. Your truck is probably worth $7K.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:40 PM

Received 998 Likes on 674 Posts

Hmmm, I hear that the 2004 FT150 is a rare model, maybe that is why they want so much money.

Powertrain products has 2002-2004 Lightning reman engines for $4874.94. I don`t think it would take another 7 to eight grand to r&r.
https://shop.powertrainproducts.net/...uYpAysg4PylDP4

Last edited by kenv47; 04-30-2024 at 11:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mark Miller (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 11:53 PM

Received 769 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by kenv47
Hmmm, I hear hat the 2004 FT150 is a rare model, maybe that is why they want so much money.

Powertrain products has 2002-2004 Lightning reman engines for $4874.94. I don`t think it would take another 7 to eight grand to r&r.
https://shop.powertrainproducts.net/...uYpAysg4PylDP4
Wow 7 year Million Mile Warranty that beats every Car Manufactures Warranty!!
The following users liked this post:
BlkNBlu (04-29-2024)

Quick Reply: told I need a new engine $13k 2004 Ft150