General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 06:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tire discussion

I'm probably at least a year away from new tires but there's never a bad time to start a discussion. So here's the deal: my truck is mainly an on road vehicle. I'll drive it back in a field to pick up whatever wild game I just shot if it's clear enough but other than that it hardly ever goes off road. I do however use it to drive in the snow during the winter months. Four wheel drive very much comes in handy when I need to get to work in deep snow where most people get stuck. There are no snow days when one works emergency services
Old 03-21-2016, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by F150emtfire
I'm probably at least a year away from new tires but there's never a bad time to start a discussion. So here's the deal: my truck is mainly an on road vehicle. I'll drive it back in a field to pick up whatever wild game I just shot if it's clear enough but other than that it hardly ever goes off road. I do however use it to drive in the snow during the winter months. Four wheel drive very much comes in handy when I need to get to work in deep snow where most people get stuck. There are no snow days when one works emergency services
I accidently hit post too early! Lol

Anyways, I need something mainly for road driving but also does good in bad road conditions and the occasional light terrain off road trip. I'm looking for something that doesn't affect my gas milage too much as well and is quiet for those long trips on vacation across several states. I also pull a small fishing boat sometimes.

My truck is a 2012 3.5 ecoboost lariat crew cab. What tires would everyone suggest for me to check out?
Old 03-21-2016, 06:46 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Michelin LTX Premier
Old 03-21-2016, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by idrive
Michelin LTX Premier
Looks good. Does it affect gas milage much?
Old 03-21-2016, 07:20 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Yes... gets about the best gas mileage you're going to get with that type tire.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:50 PM

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

If you are going to be driving in deep snow, you will want an all-terrain tire. The Michelin is a good tire, but not really for snow.

Here's a write up I did on the tire that come stock on the new F-150's (2015-):

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/oe-ha...napros-337527/
Old 03-21-2016, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Brad-150
If you are going to be driving in deep snow, you will want an all-terrain tire. The Michelin is a good tire, but not really for snow.

Here's a write up I did on the tire that come stock on the new F-150's (2015-):

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/oe-ha...napros-337527/
Deep snow isn't a big issue but it can be a concern depending on how bad the winter is. I live in Kentucky so some years (like last year) it gets really bad and some years it's fairly mild. It's a hit or miss. My main concern with AT tires is the gas milage. There's not enough bad weather around here often enough to justify a loss in milage although I loved the grip on the Cooper AT3s I had on my 2004 f150.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just had Goodyear Wrangler Adventure LT 275/70/18 just put on my new 2015 F150...All Weather, mountain & snowflake rated for severe weather, 95,000 km tread wear warranty, amazing tires! I have had Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armours on my FJ Cruiser that are similarly rated "All Weather" with the mountain & snowflake severe winter rating, and they have 50,000 km on them now, still tons of tread, amazing in snow, great rest of year too. They were the predecessor of the newer Adventure
Old 03-21-2016, 08:43 PM

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by F150emtfire
Deep snow isn't a big issue but it can be a concern depending on how bad the winter is. I live in Kentucky so some years (like last year) it gets really bad and some years it's fairly mild. It's a hit or miss. My main concern with AT tires is the gas milage. There's not enough bad weather around here often enough to justify a loss in milage although I loved the grip on the Cooper AT3s I had on my 2004 f150.
The Hankook is less aggressive than many other AT's, but with just as good all weather traction. They are the factory tire for all the 20 inch wheels on the new model F-150s if that tells you anything about mileage. They are quiet on the highway and wear very well.

If you move to something like a "highway" tire you may get slightly better gas mileage, but I would be surprised if it was more than .5 miles per gallon. You also will not get the benefit of the AT tread when it comes to winter conditions.

It's better to have something and not need it, than to need something and not have it.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Brad-150
It's better to have something and not need it, than to need something and not have it.
I say the same thing. Not talking about tires when I say it though. Lol

Quick Reply: Tire discussion