Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinted My Windshield

Old 03-18-2015, 08:33 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Tinted My Windshield

Spring broke out here in Michigan, at least so far, so I capitalized on getting my windshield tinted finally. I had them install 3M 35% (40%) with a 5% strip. I like it. It cuts down awesome on glare. It's a little darker than I had wanted but they didn't have 50% in stock and I already am having a hard time adjusting to consistent sun again so I figured I would just give this a shot for now. I have 15% put over the factory tint and on the front side windows. It looks good in my opinion. I got it for function but the form is a great side effect.

Old 03-18-2015, 09:26 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What's yall tint laws over there?

If u get caught with windshield tint where I'm from you automatically get your truck towed. I always run 5% and I've been stopped twice and had to either strip the front two windows on the side of the road or receive a ticket. I chose to strip the $50 tint over a $200 ticket.

But for me having windshield tint isn't beneficial enough to risk getting towed. Plus a ticket and having it stripped. That's close to a $500 loss for some damn tint lol.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Choupique
What's yall tint laws over there?

If u get caught with windshield tint where I'm from you automatically get your truck towed. I always run 5% and I've been stopped twice and had to either strip the front two windows on the side of the road or receive a ticket. I chose to strip the $50 tint over a $200 ticket.

But for me having windshield tint isn't beneficial enough to risk getting towed. Plus a ticket and having it stripped. That's close to a $500 loss for some damn tint lol.
Its only allowed on the first 4 inches from the top of the front windows and windshield and you can paint it black for all they care on the back ones. I'm medically exempt from that ruling though. I also have insurance on the tint so if I do get a cop who really wants to play hard ball (or if I didn't have a prescription), the company will strip it and reapply it when the tickets cleared at no charge
Old 03-18-2015, 09:43 PM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

That's a mod I been wanting to do for a while now just don't know if it's worth it. There are a bunch of cop cars around with theirs tinted so that is what keeps me going back to thinking about doing it.

Wayne
Old 03-18-2015, 09:54 PM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

cops are above the law
Old 03-18-2015, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Z7What
That's a mod I been wanting to do for a while now just don't know if it's worth it. There are a bunch of cop cars around with theirs tinted so that is what keeps me going back to thinking about doing it. Wayne
Not all cops are allowed to have tint either. Only narcotics, detectives and a few others like that. For regular patrol officers the same tint laws apply to them as anyone else.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:36 PM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

While the wife works for the sheriff so if I did decide to do it and I did get a ticket I would go talk to him. Not saying he would agree with me or not but its worth a shot. And for that reason only I havnt done it yet. A lot of BS for tint.

Wayne
Old 03-18-2015, 10:46 PM

I thought about getting a tint release from the eye doctor because I actually qualify for it but the process if ridiculous. The whole process takes about 3 months, ends up costing around $200, and involves about 5 different documents, reviewed and signed by everybody but Obama.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How does this level of tint do at night? Not too dark? I've been wanting to get tint to address the glare. I'm worried it might be too dark when I drive at night. I wear glasses and i'm not exactly that young to have 20/20 vision.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by travisgg
How does this level of tint do at night? Not too dark? I've been wanting to get tint to address the glare. I'm worried it might be too dark when I drive at night. I wear glasses and i'm not exactly that young to have 20/20 vision.
I wear contacts, my vision isn't the greatest either lol but I just left for work to find out. This is my first night time experience with it. My previous vehicle with 35% was much darker. This stuff is actually lighter than advertised which is why I tried it. Its actually not bad at all. The strip comes down to the bottom of the F-150 matrix dots and I thought that would be good but it is proving to be just a little low but I will adjust I'd rather have a little extra. Here's a picture to give you an example.

Edit: So I finished my drive and its definitely something to need some adjustment. I will probably need a few days before I can finalize on if this is gonna prove to be too dark but so far it wasn't bad. Definitely better than the last car. I'm waiting for it to fully cure before I clean it, there's a haze over it currently so I think in the next few days it will greatly improve visibility. I like it though. Dark roads don't seem to be too bad though shadows prove a little more of a challenge. I'll update my opinion probably on Saturday when everything is set in and I've had more time with it.

Last edited by FireMedic343; 03-19-2015 at 06:12 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tinted My Windshield