General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SYNC, HU, and Amp!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 06:08 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Default SYNC, HU, and Amp!!!

What's up guys? I just thought I'd post some info about something I had a lot of trouble finding. Like many, I could not tolerate the factory sound, and something had to be done.

Since I didn't want to give up the factory look at first I just replaced the speakers. IMO, it help a liiiitle, but not nearly enough. Then I started looking for a way to replace the HU without losing SYNC or Steering Wheel Controls. I found the PAC MSFRD-1 SYNC adapter (wonky LCD screen not needed), and PAC SWI for Steering Wheel Controls. They both worked great, could not have been happier with either. I went with the Pioneer AVH P4300 DVD head unit. It helped the sound quite a bit, but still, I missed the sound of having my door speakers amplified. Here comes the problem.

Every thread I read (it was a shload), talked about guys just using a LOC and keeping the OEM stereo. I was gonna go that route, but after having a DVD HU.... nope.

Just when I thought I would have to settle with better, but still just ok sound, I found a thread on 12voltforum.com by an installer telling how he used 2 DPDT relays and a 3 leg transistor to work with the mute loop wire of the PAC MSFRD-1 adapter, to make everything work seamlessly. At the time I had no clue what a DPDT relay was, but this guy (his name on the forum is "I'm An Idiot") drew me diagrams and gave me part numbers of everything I would need to make this work. Following his instructions made it possible. There are a few things you will need to put this stuff together, but by doing it myself, I was about to save a few hundred bucks(total cost of supplies because I didn't own any of it was about 60 bucks).

Here is a link to the thread he posted in 12voltforum.com. It's pretty much just he and I talking back and forth about how to do this, plus all the diagrams he gave me. If anybody is looking for a way to do this, just PM me. After this total stranger helped me out, its kind of a 'pay it forward' type thing. Let's see what else... oh yeah here is the link
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...ID~128161~PN~1

Some of you might know of an aftermarket adapter that would work for this purpose. If you do please post it because I couldn't find one, and I LOOKED. Anyway, I hope this helps.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:09 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

damn... I knew someone would come out with a way to do it sooner or later, I decided against the sync on mine so I would be free to just install my own aftermarket unit.

Quick Reply: SYNC, HU, and Amp!!!