Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Geometry Experts (Traction Bars)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 08:25 AM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

Default Suspension Geometry Experts (Traction Bars)

I am starting to do my research on some traction bars for my truck. Axle wrap and wheel hop is terrible! I have had lifted truck my entire life and do all my own work so i understand how things work, with that being said...

I ran a set of Procomps on 2 of my trucks in the past and although they helped. My personal opinion is that they arent the best. Reason for that is that the single axle mount locates the bar on the FRONT of the axle and still allows some wrap to occur.

Being as im also big into Lightning performance i know alot of these guys run long bars which locates the single axle mount at the BOTTOM of the axle which stops all wrap, but my thought behind those is that it would limit suspension travel. This isnt a big deal with Lightnings and HDs because those are street trucks and dont see much articulation. But, this is a thought so can anybody confrim on deny this?

The next set is floating bars. These in my opinion are the best. They have a double mounted axle bracket and a shackle on the frame. Which if i understand the geometry correctly these stop all wrap but still allows full articulation because of the shackle.

Id like to get you guys input on this subject.

After some research i found that RIZE made a set of floating bars for the 09+ F150 but cant locate them or know if they were ever put into production.

My truck is 2WD with a 1.25" rear block(may go up to a 2" or 3" block down the road)and doesnt see much off road use but it does see some. Im willing to spend the money on the best. I dont half *** anything on my truck so cost isnt a factor.

Wayne

Last edited by Z7What; 10-26-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:00 AM

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,672 Posts

I may be mistaken but i believe ladder bars are what you are looking for.

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...dder-bars.html

I don't have personal experience with them but have been told they work better than regular traction bars.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:02 AM

Those appear to be just like the Procomps. Buts its hard to tell from the picture but it looks like the axle bracket mounts to the front of the axle.

Wayne
Old 10-26-2013, 12:46 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

The floating bars are best. I have built several sets and it is advice able to make sure everything is adjustable to get them dead on, but with the offset pin location some travel has to be given up. I personally use long bars and just remove them when i plan to go off roading. Using Hardened quick release pins and and just throw them in the bed.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Carcrazygts2
The floating bars are best. I have built several sets and it is advice able to make sure everything is adjustable to get them dead on, but with the offset pin location some travel has to be given up. I personally use long bars and just remove them when i plan to go off roading. Using Hardened quick release pins and and just throw them in the bed.
Would you mind explaining to me what you mean by offset pin location means?

The floating bars i have installed were all adjustable, heims front and rear.

Any pics of the ones you built?

Wayne
Old 10-26-2013, 02:16 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

CalTrac traction bar ...
*CAVEAT: Have no experience with the above.

Have the following installed on a 1987 Ranger ...
Old 10-27-2013, 11:58 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Ive done this

Originally Posted by gDMJoe
CalTrac traction bar ...

*CAVEAT: Have no experience with the above.

Have the following installed on a 1987 Ranger ...
<------------------
^^I did this (the bar mounted on top the spring) on one of my lifted trucks with 39X18.5 Mickey Thompsons tires, 8" of Suspension lift along with a ladder bar set up and I had zero axle wrap. The picture below is prior to the ladder bar set up but that's the truck I did it on.
Attached Thumbnails Suspension Geometry Experts (Traction Bars)-81-ford0001.jpg  

Last edited by Indyhead; 10-28-2013 at 12:04 AM. Reason: adding text
Old 10-28-2013, 01:53 AM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Z7What
Would you mind explaining to me what you mean by offset pin location means?

The floating bars i have installed were all adjustable, heims front and rear.

Any pics of the ones you built?

Wayne
No pics as the company I built them for has now gone under. The differential locating pins in all fords from 97+ have used a offset pin location. The locating pin is closer to the front spring eye than the rear one. This causes the rear diff to follow a line rather than arc like a typically leaf spring does. I myself prefer a shackled latter bar setup which allows for the rear axle have some flex when offroad. The biggest problem is can cause binding in the leaf pack when not adjusted correctly. This is why I have been using traditional traction bars that are a two piece design. It allows the diff to articulate but when in throttle prevents axle wrap.

W
Old 10-28-2013, 11:21 AM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I have plenty of experience with the Caltracs as I currently have a set on my Lightning. I also have experience with the JLP 54" traction bars on the same truck, and have also used LFP 58" bars on a different truck. The Caltracs are noisy as hell unless you keep them pre-loaded somewhere between 1/4 or 1/2 turn. You can definitely tell a difference once they're installed on the truck, axle wrap is basically gone but you'll still occasionally get some hop. Another downside is - if the rear gets loose and you slide, once it hooks it's going where it's pointed. I learned that the hard way, but luckily it was in an empty parking lot.

Would I do them again? Not a chance. I would have stayed with the JLP 54" bars as they did just as well without the noises and rattles. The Caltracs helped my 60' foot time, but nothing drastic. I went from a 1.7 without being pre-loaded to 1.6, and occasionally a 1.5 with them pre-loaded(this was on ET Streets). Now I know we aren't using them for the same reason, but I doubt you'd be very happy with Caltracs on a daily driver. Of course, you know how opinions are, haha.

I would bet you cold make the JLP or LFP bars work as long as you don't have a 6.5' bed.

Last edited by 2007SCrew; 10-28-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:15 PM

JLP actually sells a kit for the 09+, I called today. BUT the lady I spoke to couldn't tell me the length of the bars. She said all she could tell me is that the box they come in is 48" so there a little smaller than that. With mine being a crew cab and does see some flexing I'm going to try and see if they can sell me the 09+ brackets with the 54" L bars.

Wayne

Quick Reply: Suspension Geometry Experts (Traction Bars)