General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Suicide" steering knobs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Suicide" steering *****?

Hey everyone, anyone drive with a steering **** (or referred to as a "suicide" ****) I herd that there banned unless you have a disability because of to many people over steering but I was wondering how they felt or should I save my $10.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:05 PM

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

They're good for off-roading, I used them for several years - bogging, climbing, crawling.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:12 PM

Had one when I still had the ship sized factory steering wheel on my Ramcharger. That thing was impossible to drive with both hands due to all the slack in the front end. Suicide **** actually made it more comfortable to drive.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:51 PM

I've never driven anything with a suicide ****. Between the multiple semi's I drive at work, and the other vehicles I've driven, I can spin any wheel fast enough or slow enough with one hand. I wouldn't put it on myself, but that's just me
Old 11-05-2011, 10:55 PM
zap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We call them nuckle busters..always for get about them when you trying to left the steering wheel slide in your hands and bam, it gets you. Hudson used to make them integrated with the steering wheel back in the day. Basically just a hole in the wheel that you would put your finger in to spin the wheel...my understanding is that those are still legal today.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:57 PM
lost my Car again...

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

they are usful for inexperienced drivers it makes it easyer to spin the wheel with out loosing control. the only issue is if you get into an accident i guess the puncture your rib cage? that is what i hear. i drive stick so i had to learn how to steer with one hand quick or have extra transmissions laying around LOL
Old 11-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Former Car Guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one on my lawn tractor and on my Kenworth and love them on those vehicles, but not on my pickup. The power assisted steering and ratio doesn't require it and, as others have said, it's probably illegal.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

I've got one in my subaru, and its legal...
Attached Thumbnails "Suicide" steering knobs?-forumrunner_20111105_230615.jpg  
Old 11-06-2011, 12:57 AM
zap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheCollector
they are usful for inexperienced drivers it makes it easyer to spin the wheel with out loosing control. the only issue is if you get into an accident i guess the puncture your rib cage? that is what i hear. i drive stick so i had to learn how to steer with one hand quick or have extra transmissions laying around LOL
They also go back to the days before automatics, synchronized transmissions, and power steering. Its easier to put torque upon a steering wheel if you have a solid grip and can move it in a way your body puts out the most leverage.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:28 AM
Limp Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by zap
They also go back to the days before automatics, synchronized transmissions, and power steering. Its easier to put torque upon a steering wheel if you have a solid grip and can move it in a way your body puts out the most leverage.
Also known as "necker ****". Facilitated one-handed drivin' while your other hand was occupied by your GF.

Quick Reply: "Suicide" steering knobs?