General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuiped question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 10:00 AM
I LIKE TRUCKS

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

So my friend and I were talking about trucks... All of a sudden he was like you need a weighted tag because you tow your boats and stuff at your farm.. So do I need a weighted tag?... I only tow the boats like 10 miles to the ramp 2 times a year ( we have boat lifts).... Also we tow them about 30 miles to get them wintered. I tow trailers at the farm a couple of miles too.. But nothing on the 4 lane highway....
List of things I tow regularly
20ft scout
17ft sundance
26ft south port
Trailers on the farm

Also i live in North Carolina
Old 12-04-2012, 11:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what's a weighted tag? a weight rating for your truck? never heard of it & no you don't need one on the West Coast...the factory gives the weight ratings on the specs for our trucks...
Old 12-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by southportandford
So my friend and I were talking about trucks... All of a sudden he was like you need a weighted tag because you tow your boats and stuff at your farm.. So do I need a weighted tag?... I only tow the boats like 10 miles to the ramp 2 times a year ( we have boat lifts).... Also we tow them about 30 miles to get them wintered. I tow trailers at the farm a couple of miles too.. But nothing on the 4 lane highway....
List of things I tow regularly
20ft scout
17ft sundance
26ft south port
Trailers on the farm

Also i live in North Carolina
I thought a weighted tag went along with your trucks Gross weight...do the trailers have tags ?? if so you should not need a special tag with your half ton.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:02 PM
I LIKE TRUCKS

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by techrep

I thought a weighted tag went along with your trucks Gross weight...do the trailers have tags ?? if so you should not need a special tag with your half ton.
Haha that's kinda my question... It's a plate that the DMV gives you but I am fine.. I hope.. I'll just play stupid if I get pulled
Old 12-04-2012, 03:58 PM

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

I'm also in NC,

I've never seen a weighted tag on an F150. However... I dont think I've seen a 250 or 350 without a weighted tag.

I tow (33' travel trailer) and had no need to get a weighted tag. The camper has it's own.

Here is a quick find that may be of help. The lead answer even addresses NC
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_..._license_plate

Last edited by ABN Panzer; 12-04-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In WV they are called class "B" plates. I dont think I have ever seen them on a 1/2 ton truck. Here it only effects trucks in excess of 10,001 lb. Trucks pulling campers are exempt but Im not sure about boats or other trailers. But I have never hear of anyone getting a ticket for it in a 1/2 ton, I have heard of 3/4 and 1 tons getting pulled over for it though.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:07 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by squints2c
In WV they are called class "B" plates. I dont think I have ever seen them on a 1/2 ton truck. Here it only effects trucks in excess of 10,001 lb. Trucks pulling campers are exempt but Im not sure about boats or other trailers. But I have never hear of anyone getting a ticket for it in a 1/2 ton, I have heard of 3/4 and 1 tons getting pulled over for it though.
Squints glad to see another WV member man!

Quick Reply: Stuiped question