General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop/Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 11:01 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Question Stop/Start

Don't want to start an argument. Just some information.
Since the etiquette police are out, my truck is an XLT Oklahoma edition Supercab. It is a 2018 model I bought new in May of this year.
I do not push the dashboard stop/start button. No pilot light and no message on the center console saying I've disabled stop/start. I do not manually disable the stop/start. AC on or off. Lights on manual or automatic. Nothing else on...I don't think.

What conditions does the pickup have to be in for the stop/start to work? My truck engine has never once stopped when I stop with my foot on the brake. Not once. I've been paying very close attention. I can feel it running I can see the RPM's. There is no start since there was never any stop.

Any idea's why. I'm not making this up. It may start working tomorrow, but it hasn't since I bought it, only about 2000 miles. I am going to ask Ford service about it, I don't know if I want them to fix it or not. I think it may be because it's an Oklahoma edition. And that would be a can of worms.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:12 PM

Received 198 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Guthrie
Don't want to start an argument. Just some information.
Since the etiquette police are out, my truck is an XLT Oklahoma edition Supercab. It is a 2018 model I bought new in May of this year.
I do not push the dashboard stop/start button. No pilot light and no message on the center console saying I've disabled stop/start. I do not manually disable the stop/start. AC on or off. Lights on manual or automatic. Nothing else on...I don't think.

What conditions does the pickup have to be in for the stop/start to work? My truck engine has never once stopped when I stop with my foot on the brake. Not once. I've been paying very close attention. I can feel it running I can see the RPM's. There is no start since there was never any stop.

Any idea's why. I'm not making this up. It may start working tomorrow, but it hasn't since I bought it, only about 2000 miles. I am going to ask Ford service about it, I don't know if I want them to fix it or not. I think it may be because it's an Oklahoma edition. And that would be a can of worms.

You need to go thru your menus, but I believe on the 2018 you can disable *** (Auto Start/Stop). Look under vehicle setting. Also, if you have the truck in sport mode or tow/haul mode (or a trailer attached, include a trailer test light anything drawing power from the trailer connector). *** will also be disable by default.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:45 PM

If the auto stop/start is disabled it indicates that on the center console and on the light on the dash. I do not use sport mode. I doubt Ford allows to disable it from the menu, but I will check. Nothing is connected to the trailer connectors and pretty sure if there were then the dash light would be on.

The reason Ford doesn't allow stop/start to be turned off is that they base their estimated fuel mileage on it being on. The EPA said it was a no-no to allow it to be turned off.

I will look at the menus, but if it's turned off by the menus that would violate the EPA's rules. Even if I go to the trailer menu and say I have a trailer, it should not turn the stop/start off until I actually hook a trailer up.

I'm pretty sure if it could be turned off by a menu item the people who don't like it would know. They don't.

But thanks for the ideas.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:52 PM

Received 198 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Guthrie
If the auto stop/start is disabled it indicates that on the center console and on the light on the dash. I do not use sport mode. I doubt Ford allows to disable it from the menu, but I will check. Nothing is connected to the trailer connectors and pretty sure if there were then the dash light would be on.

The reason Ford doesn't allow stop/start to be turned off is that they base their estimated fuel mileage on it being on. The EPA said it was a no-no to allow it to be turned off.

I will look at the menus, but if it's turned off by the menus that would violate the EPA's rules. Even if I go to the trailer menu and say I have a trailer, it should not turn the stop/start off until I actually hook a trailer up.

I'm pretty sure if it could be turned off by a menu item the people who don't like it would know. They don't.

But thanks for the ideas.

No problem, if you did not buy the truck now, then I would say someone use forscan on it. Sounds like you might have a BMS issue.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:38 AM

Received 153 Likes on 112 Posts

It is not there for any kind of MPG standard. It is for emissions standards. No, that is not the same thing. It cannot be disabled in a menu or with forscan.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:26 AM

Actually, the EPA has said that if Ford uses the stop/start feature and allows it to be turned off permanently they have to use the MPG figures the EPA generated with the feature turned off.

If Ford uses the stop/start feature and does not allow it to be turned off they can average the MPG with it on and off.

And since Ford has determined that the feature allows a 4% increase in fuel mileage on the average Ford is certainly not going to allow it to be turned off permanently.

Ford has published this. No, I'm not going to look it up for you and provide a link. Do your own homework.

I believe that is an MPG standard, not emissions standards.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:31 AM

Received 153 Likes on 112 Posts

Sir, I am not going to agree with you, no matter what you say Ford says. It is well known that Ford uses stop/start for an emissions standard. I also am not going to provide a link.
The following 3 users liked this post by 13XLTEco:
blkZ28spt (07-15-2019), pete7713 (07-08-2019), RLebron12 (07-16-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 01:40 AM

You're not going to believe me. You are not going to believe Ford. You are not going to believe the EPA. Ford just repeated what the EPA told them. That will be public knowledge. The earth is not flat and the US did land on the moon. John Kennedy was shot by one person.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:46 AM

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...save-fuel.html

Edmunds did an actual test on 3 different vehicles. All had better fuel mileage with the stop/start than without. Up to over 9%

Your probably not going to believe Edmunds either.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:51 AM

https://newsroom.aaa.com/2014/07/aaa...rt-technology/

AAA says the benefits are significant. You probably don't believe them either.

Quick Reply: Stop/Start