General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo buzzing/humming

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo buzzing/humming

Ive got an issue with a buzzing or humming sound im hoping someone can help with!
my truck is an 06 F150 lariat with the stock subwoofer. It has an aftermarket pioneer headunit that I had installed in 2014. Until recently there was absolutely no problem with it at all, everything worked perfectly.
Now there is a buzzing or humming sound that is present only sometimes and I am pretty sure that it is coming from the stock subwoofer.
Here is what happens: sometimes the sound is there from the time i start the truck and sometimes it shows up after running for a bit and other times it is not there at all. If the sound is not there then the subwoofer is working but when it starts buzzing there is no sound coming from the sub other than the buzz. The buzz is constant when present and it does not change with volume changes. Basically I cannot hear the sound if the volume is up but its obvious the sub is off. I turn the volume all the way off and the sound is there. I can turn the signal to the sub off from the headunit and the sound will not stop. Only way to get it to stop is to turn the whole head unit off. Sometimes putting the truck in park will make the buzzing sound stop which seems really odd. Also sometimes hitting a bump in the road seems to cause the buzzing to start.
I took the sub out one day and unplugged it to check it out and everything seemed fine. I turned the truck on and plugged in the sub, played with the wires and kinda tried to simulate hitting a hard bump in the road and could not get the buzzing sound to occur.

If anyone has heard of this happening or knows anything about it please let me know!
Old 03-04-2019, 06:39 PM

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts

First thing that comes to mind is an intermittent connection somewhere. Especially check the grounds, B+ connections and all connectors involved.
Other than that, your sub could be going belly up.
The following users liked this post:
JDPro29 (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that something that they will do when they are about to go out? Ill look around for a poor connection.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:36 PM

Thats hard to say. It could also be the head unit (HU) or the sub going out or the electrical connections to them both are intermittent flaky.
I would check all grounds and B+ connections. Uncouple all connectors, inspect for corrosion or spread pins and re-seat them back again.
Also inspect any wire to terminal connectors for a loose and/or corroded crimp
Do this with the truck and HU off to prevent any damage with the power and audio blasting
One other thing you could try is lowering the volume way low and wiggle, pull and man handle each audio related connector, ground, etc.
I've found many intermittent electrical problems this way over the decades.
The reason for lowering the volume when and if you try this is a safety factor. Its less likely to blow the HU/sub amp or speakers if the culprit is found.

If there is any good news its that intermittent electrical problems are more often than not electrical contact issues be it connectors or terminal spade connections.
The following users liked this post:
JDPro29 (03-06-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 06:53 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Sounds like a bad or intermittent ground issue. Check and tighten all grounds that you can find. You may want to unbolt/disconnect them to check for corrosion and /or a clean mating surface.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:21 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Maybe it's humming because it doesn't know the words.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Steve83
Maybe it's humming because it doesn't know the words.
Haha

Quick Reply: Stereo buzzing/humming