General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sonic boom over speakers

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2023, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sonic boom over speakers

I encountered a massive sonic boom over my speakers, then all sound stopped and the screen went dark. After recovering from the noise I pulled over, turned my truck off then back on and all seemed fine. Mind you this is a F-150 Platinum with just over 1000 miles on it, brand new. I encountered the second "boom" while waiting for my pizza to be made so I could take it home, this time it all stopped working, no radio, phone to truck, no sound at all, even the USB stopped working. It was a long drive home with no radio...
Take it to a Ford deaership, just so they can tell me after waiting 6 hours that they need to order a part. Part comes in a week later, then another weeks wait for it to be installed. Part gets installed while I waited for 8 hours and now the truck won't accept the computer programing for the new part, I'm told they are on the phone with Ford engineers, but I still don't have a working truck. It's been at the dealership now for 3 days and I still don't have a truck, one that I paid 82,000 dollars for. I've driven a Ford for 38 years and I must say I'm very disappointed.

Well it's been five days now and it's still not fixed and sitting at the Ford dealership torn apart. Does anyone know a good electrician? Perhaps Ford will send someone to fix it?

Last edited by 38 YEAR OWNER; 06-27-2023 at 05:05 PM. Reason: update
Old 06-25-2023, 11:46 PM

Received 2,530 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Welcome.

What part?
Old 06-26-2023, 12:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't imagine. I'm sure your buyer confidence is shattered. I spent quite a bit in 2013 for an F150 and I watched it unreasonably rust right in front of my eyes. I could have bought a condo back in 2013 instead of that truck.

Try to keep it together. It sucks. No way around that.
Old 06-26-2023, 10:56 AM
Traveler

Received 271 Likes on 163 Posts

"Sonic Boom" ....
Old 11-11-2023, 08:29 AM

Less than a month ago I bought a 2023 XLT 3.8L hybrid, and yesterday as I turned it on, an extremely loud noise went off. Ear-splitting. Because I had just pressed 'start', at first I assumed it was an alert and grabbed the keys to turn it off. Of course that didn't work, and as my shocked brain began to work again, I determined I could not stay in the truck any longer without going deaf. I scrambled out and shut the door, and the neighbors that were out and about looked at me as though expecting me to shut this thing off. Eventually it went silent, and once I had the courage to try starting it again, I realized the sound system now doesn't work at all.

I did an internet search and found that Ford considers this 'rare' and not a safety issue, so no recall. I don't know how it's not a safety issue. It's been 15 hours and my ears are still ringing and feel like they're full. I care for my elderly mother, if she'd been in there with me I've no doubt she'd have had a heartattack or stroke (a-fib hearts are to avoid things that cause massively accelerated pulse rates). If I'd been driving, there is no way I'd have been able to safely continue. I've owned Ford vehicles since 1982 and I've never had to have warranty work done, so this is a first for me, and I'm extremely disappointed. I have a concern about being able to get this fixed and fixed correctly.
Old 11-11-2023, 10:15 AM

Received 1,083 Likes on 724 Posts

Was there static coming out of the speakers after the boom?
Old 11-11-2023, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by rugedraw
Was there static coming out of the speakers after the boom?
Not sure I'd call it a 'boom', as I think of a boom as a short blast of noise, and this was steady and continued for several minutes. Once it ended, there was no noise coming from speakers, and nothing I do will allow any noise. No radio, no Bluetooth (including phone calls).
Old 11-11-2023, 11:33 AM

Received 1,083 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by VAFordOwner
Not sure I'd call it a 'boom', as I think of a boom as a short blast of noise, and this was steady and continued for several minutes. Once it ended, there was no noise coming from speakers, and nothing I do will allow any noise. No radio, no Bluetooth (including phone calls).
OK, so that's a different issue from the known problem that exists with the B&O systems. I was going to recommend asking your dealer to apply an update to the DSP that Ford released some months back, but it will not address what happened to your truck.
Old 11-13-2023, 11:08 AM

The dealer came today to pick it up (they have a pickup service for service appointments) and it won't start. Just gives the check engine light, and of course the dealership won't tow it, I have to call Ford Roadside assistance, and it's been an hour and haven't heard back from them. I can't believe I traded in a ten year old truck that I loved in order to have even more problems with a brand new one. One I'm paying through the nose for when it comes to payment, insurance and property tax increases. I've never had to use Ford's roadside assistance, and this is a process that needs a lot of help as well. I've been a loyal Ford customer my entire life (62), although I admit the first few years I had no idea, lol. But I certainly would not recommend a new one at this point. It's no wonder the used trucks cost so much, who would want to pay new truck money for this experience?

Quick Reply: Sonic boom over speakers