Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smaller pickup

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 09:32 AM
Better OUT then IN

Received 253 Likes on 206 Posts

Default Smaller pickup

As I get on in my years, I see the need for a large truck dwindling. My current 2014 FX4 is the nicest, most luxurious and capable vehicle I've ever owned. I absolutely love this truck however, it's big and a gas hog (all my doing with the 4" lift and heavy 35's).

When it's time to move on, in several years, I'd like to go mid-size or possibly even small pick-up.

I do lots of off-roading and will continue to do so, so I'll still need those capabilities - 4WD and probably a small lift with larger tires...Keeps the bottom out of the water/mud/sand a little better.

I would like to hear some thoughts and suggestions from forum members and if possible, not bashing of competitors...Just honest pros-cons.

Appreciate any input.

Last edited by justjimmy; 02-02-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:35 AM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I came from a Tacoma that got the same mileage and cost the same as my f150, I currently see no value to the smaller truck segment.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 540 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by chadderkdawg
I came from a Tacoma that got the same mileage and cost the same as my f150, I currently see no value to the smaller truck segment.
IMO, unless you opt for the midsize diesel options, the MPG is negligible between the two.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:15 AM

Received 627 Likes on 445 Posts

Unless you have size constraints (having to fit in a certain garage or park downtown, etc) there is literally zero benefit to a midsize IMO. Hell, I think the f150 ecoboosts get better fuel economy than the Tacoma and Frontier, and match the fuel economy of the Colorado.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:17 AM

Received 627 Likes on 445 Posts

Or if you do a lot of tight trail offloading which it sounds like you do. Narrower and shorter wheelbase is better. The Tacoma TRD Pro and Colorado ZR2 are both extremely capable offroaders.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zimmer0
IMO, unless you opt for the midsize diesel options, the MPG is negligible between the two.
I was going to mention the Canyon with the diesel, but those are pricey.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:38 AM

Received 143 Likes on 116 Posts

If you do not need power than a v4 Ranger is pretty nice daily driver. My dad picked one up used last year and it gets pretty good millage and still has the capability to haul small loads. He kept his F250 for when he has to haul heavy loads, but the little truck is great for his daily needs.

Now my in-laws picked up a used v8 Dodge Dakota. Love that little truck. It is great fun in the snow, has lots of power and does most things well. But it gets the same millage I do with only half the payload/towing capacity. It would be great if you didn't need to haul heavy loads, and were more concerned about having a smaller wheel base.

If you only use the truck for off-roading though, you may consider a jeep or FJ. With a hitch and small trailer they could do 90% of what a Ranger or Dakota could, and without the trailer they would do better in off road situations.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:12 AM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

I drove smaller trucks for 17 years, owning 3 Rangers and a Nissan Frontier and have spent some time in a Tacoma before getting my 2014 F150. IMO all are more capable off-roaders than a full sized unless your thing is just powering through mud pits where you need the power of a V8 (or ecoboost).

Fuel mileage is close between the compact/midsized and full size; all my Rangers and the Frontier (which all had 3" lifts) got around 16-18 mpg, and my stock F150 is right at 16 now. However, as soon as the kids are grown and I don't need a large back seat I plan on going back to a midsized. I prefer driving something slightly smaller on backroads. They're much easier to park and I don't have to worry as much about some jacknob opening their door on my truck either as they are much more narrow. Plus as I mentioned, a smaller truck is MUCH better in tight wooded trails.

The garage is another plus. While my F150 will fit in the garage, it's tight and I don't trust my wife to not slam a door into my truck, a problem I never had with my Frontier.

The only issue right now is your options are limited. The new Colorado looks nice, but I don't really trust GM's long term reliability. The Frontier is rock solid (I had mine for 10 years and beat the snot out of it during that time) but the 2017 is essentially the same as the 2005 I had, and it's showing it's age. I just had a 2017 rental last week for work and the only difference is the head unit is now bluetooth capable. The Tacoma has had a refresh or two since it's last update in 2005, but I don't think it's been redesigned from the ground up.

For all the bashing it gets the Ridgeline is a great truck for what it's designed for, and get's decent mpg's but I wouldn't use it for heavy off-roading. Plus the new one is fugly.

I hope the hype about a new Ranger is true, I'd love to see some fresh blood in the midsized market force Toyota and Nissan to step up their game again. When they want to be they are both the market leaders in that segment. They just aren't really trying right now.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:43 AM

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

The ridgeline is not a truck.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:55 PM

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I would say the Tacoma. I traded 2013 4Runner for my current F150. I freaking loved that 4Runner. BUT....I think the Tacoma and 4Runner still have the same engine. My EcoBoost gets better MPGs than my 4Runner V6. And good grief the torque is miles better in the Eco.