General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking aftermarket turbo advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seeking aftermarket turbo advice

Hey guys. I'm updating from my old '07 F150 to a '13 in a few weeks. I'm on the fence between the Ecoboost and the 5.0. Further, I plan on modding which ever one I get. I would like extra power because I do some towing in the Rocky Mountains and would just plain like to have a fast truck. After much research on this and other forums if I went with the Ecoboost I would get a Livernois tuner with aftermarket CAI and exhaust. If I went with the 5.0 I will go with the STS Turbo set up (just visited their shop). Wondering what you turbo folks out there think. Below is where my decision process is at.

Ecoboost w/ Livernois- I like that the turbo set up is already built-in coming from the factory from an excessive noise perspective (would prefer it to be on the quiet side) and a reliability perspective (all the turbo components are from Ford). I do wonder about about torque in the low rpm range with a V6 before the turbos are spooling. This setup would cost a few thousand less than the V8 with STS option.

V8 w/ STS turbo setup- This setup provides A LOT of power all through the rpm range. I think the V8 is more stout, able to handle more power, so I feel that adding a turbo to the V8 may be safer than just increasing boost and changing timing on the Ecoboost V6. I live near the STS facility so I would be able to have STS install my setup and could have them do any maintenance on it. This setup would have about 50 more hp and 60 more lb-ft. than the Livernois Ecoboost (both set ups are over 400, though). Finally, I can keep a great V8 rumble.

Anybody have experience with either setup or have an opinion?

Thanks in advance.

PS, I understand warranty implications. Also, I know the debate on how the rear-mount turbo may be subject to water intake but I don't plan on off-roading til its way over a 100k miles. [IMG]file:///C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\ clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-22-2012, 05:20 PM

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,510 Posts

I've never liked the idea of the turbos mounted under the vehicle.That is just my opinion.
FWIW, I just got my Livernois tuner and downpipe the other day. All I can say is wow!! My truck probably doesn't need to be any faster than it is right now.
The following users liked this post:
claytos1000 (12-23-2012)
Old 12-22-2012, 08:58 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Either one of those motors will be 70% more power than your truck had, the Eco with a tune will be nuts, but only a v8 sounds like a v8.
claytos1000 (12-23-2012)
Old 12-22-2012, 09:15 PM

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

EcoBoost turbos can't use Ford components, they aren't made by Ford, they are Borg Warner turbos. Now as far as the STS setup, did they say if they have done any turbo setups on the 5.0L in the F-150?
claytos1000 (12-23-2012)
Old 12-22-2012, 09:52 PM

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

I would love to drive in a turbo 5.0 truck. However, for what you are looking for I would lean toward the Eco.

Turbos spool right off idle. I pull my 7500# travel trailer and have power to spare.

If you turbo a 5.0, any chance of warranty on power train is pretty well shot.

Of course, down pipe and tune on Eco technically voids a warranty, but unless you do something crazy, if you are close with your dealer they will still warranty the truck.

Turbo 5.0 would be awesome. Any kind of warranty on the STS system?

Last edited by 93Cobra#2771; 12-22-2012 at 10:26 PM.
claytos1000 (12-23-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by NASSTY
I've never liked the idea of the turbos mounted under the vehicle.That is just my opinion.
FWIW, I just got my Livernois tuner and downpipe the other day. All I can say is wow!! My truck probably doesn't need to be any faster than it is right now.
Nassty, Great to hear about your Livernois tune and downpipe. Can you elaborate a little on your experience? Accleration? Tow? Sound? It’d be great to hear from a real customer.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Crysis
EcoBoost turbos can't use Ford components, they aren't made by Ford, they are Borg Warner turbos. Now as far as the STS setup, did they say if they have done any turbo setups on the 5.0L in the F-150?

Crysis, I didn’t clarify that very well. I meant to say I find comfort in the fact that components in the turbo system are the ones Ford chose and tested the hell out of. STS has not but a system on the 5.0 yet but have quite a bit of experience working on 5.4s was the word I got. They said the main components of the system are the same but they would just need to change the piping a little. I would be a guinea pig but they offered me a discount.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by 93Cobra#2771
I would love to drive in a turbo 5.0 truck. However, for what you are looking for I would lean toward the Eco.

Turbos spool right off idle. I pull my 7500# travel trailer and have power to spare.

If you turbo a 5.0, any chance of warranty on power train is pretty well shot.

Of course, down pipe and tune on Eco technically voids a warranty, but unless you do something crazy, if you are close with your dealer they will still warranty the truck.

Turbo 5.0 would be awesome. Any kind of warranty on the STS system?

Yeah, there is a one year parts warranty from STS turbo. I'm going in assuming my factory warranty is out the window. STS said there are a few dealerships out there that are okay with the turbo because its all bolt on but it's a hassle to find them.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:08 AM

Received 3,933 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by claytos1000
Nassty, Great to hear about your Livernois tune and downpipe. Can you elaborate a little on your experience? Accleration? Tow? Sound? It’d be great to hear from a real customer.
I've only had the tune and downpipe on the truck for a couple days so I haven't done any towing. But the turbos spool up quicker, the truck pulls a lot harder and it spins the tires easier than before. It drives real smooth if you are driving normal and not hotrodding. I still have the stock catback attatched to my offroad downpipe and sounds almost stock, except you can hear the turbos more when you're getting after it.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Low end torque is what the Ecoboost is all about! You don't need to worry about turbo lag.

Although a turbo V8 would be killer, the Full Race single turbo kit would probably be sweet too (if you are into spending big money!).

http://www.full-race.com/articles/fu...kit-f-150.html

I don't do much to my street vehicles but the Stainless Works exhaust on the Ecoboost sounds pretty good too. I would get the Livernois tuner but I am paranoid about the warranty.

I am not involved with any of these companies. I'm a new EB owner and saw the threads on tuners, exhausts, and turbos in the 2009 section.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Seeking aftermarket turbo advice