General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seafoam destroyed my motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 06:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Seafoam destroyed my motor

I'm sure this thread is gonna ruffle some jimmies to the point of thread being deleted but here's my experience and why I'm never using another additive in my engine again.

Had a rock solid 2004 4.6L f150 non heritage with 131k miles. Purred like a kitten, idled so smooth you couldn't tell it was running and a friend recommended I use some seafoam to maybe clean the throttlebody and intake up a bit.

I did some googling and saw nothing but rave reviews and how amazed everyone was and how clean it gets everything and there are stacks and stacks of it anywhere auto parts are sold I figured what the heck.

I followed the instructions, letting it slowly spray into the throttlebody with the engine running at 1500 or whatever rpms.

Almost immediately after the seafoam my throttle body actuator died and I developed a leak in the throttlebody gasket.

Oh well, must have been a coincidence, replace actuator, clean throttlebody, new gasket, good to go!

Not so fast.

I begin to develop a rough idle (which persists to this day) but I figured it was just building up carbon from not having been on the highway for a while. Since I only used the truck for construction jobs in town it didn't bother me. No less than a day or two later I notice my coolant level is a bit low. Not much, a few ounces, oil looked good so I topped it off and go on about my business.

3-4 days after seafoam at this point and the oil is a milkshake, misfiring like crazy, losing a quart a day hitting 240 degrees. And also leaking coolant in to the spark plug wells.

This junk basically destroyed every gasket it touched, destroyed the motor mounts from rocking back and forth so hard, destroyed both cats and I'm pretty sure my exhaust valves are toast.

Several hundred dollars and a bottle of bars leak later and at least it can idle without waking the neighbors up 3 blocks away.

The moral of the story is. If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT.
The following users liked this post:
JCR 56 (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 07:36 PM

Received 387 Likes on 284 Posts

I use Seafoam all the time in my vehicles, tractors and ATVs fuel tanks with no problems.
But i don't pour it down the throttle body.

.....destroyed the motor mounts....
How in the hell did it destroy the motor mounts?

This whole thing don't pass the 'smell test'!
Old 05-20-2018, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by moparado
I use Seafoam all the time in my vehicles, tractors and ATVs fuel tanks with no problems.
But i don't pour it down the throttle body.

How in the hell did it destroy the motor mounts?

This whole thing don't pass the 'smell test'!
Motor mounts were likely original. Violently rocking back and forth from running on 2 cylinders would be the straw that broke the camels back.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:23 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

First, no it didn't. Second, it should have been introduced through the brake booster line and only at idle. Third, the only correct way to clean a throttle body on an 11th gen is removal, then clean.
The following users liked this post:
chimmike (05-22-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Summers22
First, no it didn't. Second, it should have been introduced through the brake booster line and only at idle. Third, the only correct way to clean a throttle body on an 11th gen is removal, then clean.
The can came with a bendy tube and the video from seafoams yourtube said spray it in the throttlebody at high idle. And the throttlebody doesn't get dirty, just the underside of the flap. which can be cleaned with a rag. Pulling it off to clean the flap is a waste of time.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:38 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Well I pulled my throttle body off numerous times on my 07 5.4 and cleaned more than just the "flap". Never an issue doing that way for me, 168K trouble free miles. Like you said, the truck ran great, idled great and yet you still believed the hype of Seafoam.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:12 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by Humantorch
3-4 days after seafoam ...............

a bottle of bars leak later ................

The moral of the story is. If it ain't broke, DON'T FIX IT.
with auto parts store miracle cures.

Trending Topics

Old 05-21-2018, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by BareBonesXL
with auto parts store miracle cures.
The $45 can is the real deal. Couldn't believe it sealed the leak up that quick and complete.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:43 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Not even close to the 1st horror story I've read about Seafoam on this Forum.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by BareBonesXL
This is how fan clubs start....
Can't argue with results. went from blowing so much smoke my neighbor came out because he thought my house was on fire to no smoke, no misses and coolant system tight as a drum.

I've heard it can clog heater cores and such but i'd rather have no heat than spend $1000 to fix a head gasket on a motor worth $500.

Quick Reply: Seafoam destroyed my motor