General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rustproofing in Midwest?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 10:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rustproofing in Midwest?

Just got my new f150 and looking at options for rust proofing. I could have the rockers, doors, etc sprayed with some sort of undercoating. I see in canada they have krown dealers that annually spray ur vehicle and warranty it. Seems to me an annual treatment would be better than the one and done. I believe they spray ur frame, suspension, etc. anyone know of a similar service in the Midwest? Specifically NE Iowa. Thx.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:42 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

HI there fellow Iowan. There is a Zeibart dealer here in West Des Moines. I believe it costs $450-$500 last time I remember. I held off on getting any undercoating done and instead hit the carwash once a week using the self service garage to quickly and cheaply spray off snow and slush.

Otherwise, there are people who buy their own stuff and do it themselves. The names of the products escape me, but you can find them on the forums.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:44 PM
End of the Earth

Received 377 Likes on 287 Posts

You can also do it yourself with something like Amsoil MPHD. It's been working great on my truck so far.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:15 PM

Received 646 Likes on 498 Posts

Waste of money.....
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (12-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 11:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

once i move back to nebraska ill be ordering some monstaliner to undercoat my truck
Old 10-16-2014, 12:23 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Bring it over to sioux falls. We are a dealer and applicator of the krown rust inhibitor and salt eliminator. I work at Wheelco Brake and Supply. Pm me if you are interested and I'll get you a deal on getting it done. I did my truck just recently and have seen what it can do on a lot of other customers trucks. It's awesome stuff.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wish I lived closer. Unfortunately I'm on other side of state. My friend runs a body shop and will spray some kind of coating in the doors, tailgate, rockers, etc. for me. Says he will pull the door panels to get good coverage. Just wish there was a good way to keep the frame, suspension, etc. clean looking after IA winters. I'm not a huge fan of undercoating. I know people always say just wash ur vehicle weekly and you won't have problems but I don't find this to be very practical. For one, it's rarely above freezing and my truck doesn't fit in my garage. I don't like dealing with frozen shut doors, etc. Also, when u do wash it, within 30 miles the vehicle is usually covered in salt spray again anyway. I guess in my opinion washing the vehicle to have a fresh coat of salt back on shortly there after vs just allowing the salt to layer on would provide minimal benefit. You just can't win!
Old 10-16-2014, 02:48 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Acat
Wish I lived closer. Unfortunately I'm on other side of state. My friend runs a body shop and will spray some kind of coating in the doors, tailgate, rockers, etc. for me. Says he will pull the door panels to get good coverage. Just wish there was a good way to keep the frame, suspension, etc. clean looking after IA winters. I'm not a huge fan of undercoating. I know people always say just wash ur vehicle weekly and you won't have problems but I don't find this to be very practical. For one, it's rarely above freezing and my truck doesn't fit in my garage. I don't like dealing with frozen shut doors, etc. Also, when u do wash it, within 30 miles the vehicle is usually covered in salt spray again anyway. I guess in my opinion washing the vehicle to have a fresh coat of salt back on shortly there after vs just allowing the salt to layer on would provide minimal benefit. You just can't win!
Understandable. We also do inside the tailgate, doors, rocker panels, inside the bed sides, inside the front fenders, firewall, inside the frame as much as possible. Pretty much anywhere we can except on the painted surfaces. We even drill the inside of the door jams and rocker panels to coat the inside if you want. Pretty sweet stuff.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:46 AM
2014 F150 STX 4x4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Acat
Just got my new f150 and looking at options for rust proofing. I could have the rockers, doors, etc sprayed with some sort of undercoating. I see in canada they have krown dealers that annually spray ur vehicle and warranty it. Seems to me an annual treatment would be better than the one and done. I believe they spray ur frame, suspension, etc. anyone know of a similar service in the Midwest? Specifically NE Iowa. Thx.
I'm north of you in MN. I sprayed Fluid Film on the underside in October. Can use it on the Harleys in storage too. Will just reapply each Fall. For $100 you get 2 gallon cans (and a spray kit) off Ebay.
I leaned against Ziebart. If that was worth it, there'd be more then 3 of them up here.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:29 AM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

Don't know who or what may be available in your area.
Undercoating / rustproofing when done properly is a good investment for us salt belt drivers.
What the dealers sell you is a ripoff that puts big bucks in their pockets.
I had one vehicle Ziebart coated. Was not impressed with price or quality.
Found another local place that coated my vehicles for $250 each.
Car is now beyond 5 years, truck is over 2 years.
Both look good.
Look into your local shops and see what they do. Some are excellent - others are a waste.

Quick Reply: Rustproofing in Midwest?