General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retrofitting tailgate step

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Retrofitting tailgate step

Per my investigation I believe I can add the tailgate step to my 2017 F150 with the following parts:Step AssemblyFL3Z-99402A48-AB1$401.12Tail Gate MoldingFL3Z-9941018-AB1$20.07
From here - https://www.tascaparts.com

I'll update on progress after I get the parts.

Bill
Old 10-05-2017, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2,709 Likes on 1,426 Posts

I checked into it when buying my truck, they were trying to sell me one without it.
I believe the inner structure will need to be welded into your tailgate, meaning body work and paint.
I think the cost was $1600 -$1800 depending on paint and trim levels.

You might be able to find one in your color on Hollanderparts.com.

If you end up putting one in your tailgate do a video or step by step photos
Old 10-05-2017, 06:02 AM

Received 366 Likes on 225 Posts

I agree with Phil, the inner structure of the step tailgate must be reinforced from the factory during the assembly process of the tailgate. If you've ever welded/fabricated its a step by step process building something, if you miss one step in something being built, sometimes its impossible to 'add that bracket' without cutting something apart to put 'the bracket' where it is suppose to go. The question is , are every tailgate made to accept a optional step ? If they are then your all set. If not , the tailgate could be damaged when using the step or adding the step.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:24 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Posted many times, you are not going to be able add the step. You need to swap tailgates.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:28 AM

Thanks for the comments so far. Yes this is a little experimental but my view is that "anything that was done in the factory 'can' be done in the field with enough time and money". Here's a logical question though -

If a part is offered for sale then it's assumed a repair operation will occur to use that part (it costs to create the part, the catalog and associated info). Welding or anything that's not easily controlled isn't a good repair procedure. Making something inaccessible that allows the part to be installed isn't a good procedure. And finally, there's always a push to use the same parts and not create new ones so overall stampings, processes, materials, etc. tend to be common to save a few cents. The organizations at manufacturers are evaluated on how well they do all of this.

Those are pretty standard rules and those are things I've learned in school or as an engineer for an automotive OEM. So why would this case be any different? If it requires reinforcement then I'll look at that and see what I can do to compensate. It's just sheet metal and braces.

This is a $400 experiment that I'm pretty confident can be made to work. Worst case is I ruin the current tailgate, have to buy the new one and paint it...which is where everyone seems to be positioned right now.

Last edited by jwmaustin; 10-05-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:51 AM

Received 216 Likes on 183 Posts

If you have time, $ and labour... Why not try it lol!

Got one on my truck since it was already ordered & on his way from the plant... 400$ cost, totally useless IMO. Wish I could have bought one without it, but the majority of the F150s comes with it.

Last edited by Eduskator; 10-05-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:30 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by jwmaustin
Thanks for the comments so far. Yes this is a little experimental but my view is that "anything that was done in the factory 'can' be done in the field with enough time and money". Here's a logical question though -

If a part is offered for sale then it's assumed a repair operation will occur to use that part (it costs to create the part, the catalog and associated info). Welding or anything that's not easily controlled isn't a good repair procedure. Making something inaccessible that allows the part to be installed isn't a good procedure. And finally, there's always a push to use the same parts and not create new ones so overall stampings, processes, materials, etc. tend to be common to save a few cents. The organizations at manufacturers are evaluated on how well they do all of this.

Those are pretty standard rules and those are things I've learned in school or as an engineer for an automotive OEM. So why would this case be any different? If it requires reinforcement then I'll look at that and see what I can do to compensate. It's just sheet metal and braces.

This is a $400 experiment that I'm pretty confident can be made to work. Worst case is I ruin the current tailgate, have to buy the new one and paint it...which is where everyone seems to be positioned right now.
I'm not following your logic. Are you saying that since Ford offers parts for sale for F-150s, and you have an F-150, that all the parts for sale will fit in your F-150?

Others have posted that they looked into adding the tailgate and found that it was not possible, but it's your $400. First issue you will come across to my recollection is that the camera must be mounted differently.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2,709 Likes on 1,426 Posts

Originally Posted by Eduskator
If you have time, $ and labour... Why not try it lol!

Got one on my truck since it was already ordered & on his way from the plant... 400$ cost, totally useless IMO. Wish I could have bought one without it, but the majority of the F150s comes with it.
If you wish yours didn't have one ...... swap with someone that wants one !
They are going for $1100- $1400 on Hollander.com.

I would think that someone would pay you for the swap !

$400 + in parts, then labor , and then paint..........

What color is your truck? maybe you and the OP could swap!
Old 10-05-2017, 10:39 PM

Received 88 Likes on 74 Posts
Cool

I love the step on ours!

Being 6' 7" I don't normally have a problem reaching in or getting into the bed of trucks but my wife is 5' 3" so she might never be able to get in the bed!
Old 10-06-2017, 03:42 AM

Default Optimism

Originally Posted by Phil48315
If you wish yours didn't have one ...... swap with someone that wants one !
They are going for $1100- $1400 on Hollander.com.

I would think that someone would pay you for the swap !

$400 + in parts, then labor , and then paint..........

What color is your truck? maybe you and the OP could swap!
My truck is some kind of bronze color ... it's my wife's actually and therefore the reason for the step.

Yes a swap would be easier if that's possible.

I've noticed that some topics on blogs seem to generate anger and "holy wars". I'm on here and a tractor one and an RV one and and they seem to have long discussions on some topics that are hot buttons. Most of those seem to have some facts and some opinions and it's hard to separate them sometimes. On the RV forum if you mention tire pressure you will get four pages of opinion that insist you weigh each wheel to set the tire pressure. There's no published data about real weights (and resultant pressures), variation due to heat/driving and safety factors used by individuals. It appears to be a lot of "scientific thought" that needs practical views brought to it.

Even the facts change. For example on the parts for the step you have to specify if your truck was made before 11/30/16 when ordering stuff. So, sometimes we have to just investigate and see what the facts really are. I imagine many of us are just mechanics at heart that know we deal with what's in front of us.

Quick Reply: Retrofitting tailgate step