Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 06:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Replacement Battery

Hi All,

I need to replace the battery in my 2017 F-150 Lariat. I currently have an Odyssey battery in there, but it was just barely outside of it's 3 year warranty when I started noticing degrading performance. Those batteries aren't cheap, so I milked it as long as I could. Almost a year later, I need a new battery. Since it's not going to last like they used to (esp in the desert where the heat kills the batteries), I don't think I'm going to go the extra cost of an Odyssey again. Believe it or not, I'm actually looking at a Walmart Everstart Platinum AGM battery. They are $180, and a four year free replacement warranty. Most other batteries are only a three year, and at least $250. Anyone have any opinions of the Walmart Everstart AGM Batteries? I feel iffy buying a Walmart brand battery, but for a four year warranty....don't think I can beat it! I have also seen "on the internet" they are made by Johnson Controls or Clarios. Thoughts?
Old 11-01-2023, 07:07 PM

Received 223 Likes on 198 Posts

Opinions are gonna vary here, so be ready to parse through all the inputs.

It's been several years, but heard then that there were only three major battery manufacturers in the US. Definitely want to avoid stuff made in Korea, I forget the brand name, but it was junk after a few months.

My opinion is you'll be fine if they're willing to back it like that.

Haven't warmed up to the AGM stuff, unless an OEM provision.

Had really good luck with the AutoZone Duralast Golds (cue eyerolls and smirks) - one made it 11 years in my '89, another made it 10 years in my '81 Jeep CJ5.

However, scratching my head with the Motorcraft batteries - the original one had to be replaced under warranty at 35 months due to broken case around the posts, its replacement only made it 44 months before outright dying - and they claimed 8 year pro-rated life warranty - so I went with a 3yr NAPA since AZ was out of stock in my size at the time.
Old 11-01-2023, 07:27 PM

Received 641 Likes on 335 Posts

I just put in a Walmart H7 Platinum AGM. So far so good. Did it because the warranty and ease of finding a Walmart should I ever experience issues.

FYI though the actual battery is labeled as having 800 CCA, not 850 like it says on the website. Unclear if any physical changes were made to that model or what.

Last edited by Bowers86; 11-01-2023 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-02-2023, 05:15 AM
Veteran, retired Navy..

Received 2,033 Likes on 1,727 Posts

I put an OEM battery in my 17 @ the 5 year point.
I do have a Walmart battery in my 14 GT500, it's on a battery tender when not in use..
Old 11-02-2023, 06:30 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I put an Odyssey in my last truck and it was toast in about 2 years so I went back to Autozone batts. My wife balked at spending for AZ's best battery but I told her when I buy one I don't even want to remember how to spell battery after I put it in. I think the Wal-Mart battery is probably a pretty good deal except for the CCA you posted but I think Ford specs. 750 CCA for my '13' so anything more may just be bragging rights. Since I no longer work I'm putting mine on a charger occasionally anyway.
I think if I was buying AGM I would go with NAPA but that's just because I started out with them and they last pretty good.
Old 11-02-2023, 12:17 PM

Received 610 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by flyswat446
I put an Odyssey in my last truck and it was toast in about 2 years so I went back to Autozone batts.
Odyssey was hot stuff 20+ years ago but has changed hands, management, and is currently milking their good reputation.

Treat battery purchases as a service contract. Buy the battery with best warranty for the best price. You have no idea how good of a battery the brand is buying, but you know when they put their money on the line with warranty they are saying more than all the gladwords of advertising.
The following users liked this post:
flyswat446 (11-06-2023)

Quick Reply: Replacement Battery