General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redneck Randy Rocker Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 07:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Redneck Randy Rocker Install Question

Have a couple large holes on the underside of my rockers and instead of filling thought i would install a set of redneck randy's. Mocking them up, they will cover perfectly. The question I have is how should I install rocker install?

Use the pop rivets that came with rocker covers?? This would mean drilling several holes in undamaged areas of the rocker. Technically, there is probably some degree of rust throughout the interior of the rocker so it could be argued that drilling holes won't make it worse but I am not sure.

The other idea is tape or glue them in place. No drilling but I am not sure how secure the finished install would be. Winters are harsh and wet. Don't want water penetrating and potentially causing the tape or glue to fail. Nothing worse then dragging around a rocker cover at -20º

Doing both pop rivet and glue would definitely keep them in place but again I really don't want to add to the damage by putting in new holes.

Guess i can't decide if i want to add new holes for pop rivets

And yeah fourth option is to not use any rocker covers etc etc etc. Yes i know the best option is to cut and weld new pieces. That is not happening at this time.

Thoughts?? No real instructions came with the panels. Nothing regarding an F150 install. Only to use the supplied pop rivets.

Thank you in advance RR

Old 08-26-2021, 12:58 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,156 Likes on 6,566 Posts

Just an idea Rick, use the rivets, then spray inside the rockers with Fluid Film, or Wool Wax. I've found that both pretty much stop rust, at least it did in the TGate of my Ranger. Won't be permanent, but will buy you some time to get the rockers replaced. Are the redneck rockers metal? If so, I'd spray the backside of those too before install.
Old 08-26-2021, 03:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by johnday in BFE
Just an idea Rick, use the rivets, then spray inside the rockers with Fluid Film, or Wool Wax. I've found that both pretty much stop rust, at least it did in the TGate of my Ranger. Won't be permanent, but will buy you some time to get the rockers replaced. Are the redneck rockers metal? If so, I'd spray the backside of those too before install.
Yep, that's my plan. I have a galloon of fluid film and a sprayer. Will thin it out.

Redneck randy's are plastic rocker covers and they just cover the underside of the rocker. Still thinking about some adhesive/sealant to bond them to the rocker. Basically my thought is the rockers need to be replaced so anything I do won't do too much harm. I just don't want to speed up the rust process.

I think a sealant is necessary because I don't want water intrusion between the rocker cover and the rocker. Its already rusting from the inside out why give it an opportunity to rust outside in?

I have some 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 (polyurethane) and/or Permatex Adhesive Sealant Silicone. Obviously, I will test to make sure they don't melt the rocker covers lol
The following users liked this post:
johnday in BFE (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 04:44 PM
Village Sociopath

Received 10,156 Likes on 6,566 Posts

We're on the same wavelength, I believe I'd do just that

Quick Reply: Redneck Randy Rocker Install Question