Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear sway bar?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 01:03 PM
Senior Citizen Member

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,548 Posts
Default Rear sway bar?

Hey guys (and gals), I'm interested in hearing any thoughts on installing a rear sway bar on 2013 4WD XLT. The truck is mainly (99%) street driven. I'm looking at Hellwig but any other recommendations would be appreciated . Thanks in advance!
Old 12-07-2017, 01:44 PM

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

I installed the Hellwig about 2 years ago. I think it helps reduce body roll pretty good. I have it set on the stiffest setting(it has three holes), and it does a good job of lifting the inner rear tire around a corner completely off the ground. I am going to buy the matching front bar one of these days, but have been waiting because I'm going to lower the truck first and see how much that helps. My truck is an FX4, and it is ridiculously high for a vehicle that only leaves the street when parked in the garage. I'm going to go with the 3/5 drop kit, as I'm getting to be a sad old man that almost needs to stop for air while climbing up to the drivers seat. I would sell it and go 2wd, but there are basically NONE to be had way up here in snow country(Minnesnowta). For sure none as loaded-up as mine.
The following users liked this post:
McLovin (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 02:04 PM
Senior Citizen Member

Originally Posted by elfiero
I installed the Hellwig about 2 years ago. I think it helps reduce body roll pretty good. I have it set on the stiffest setting(it has three holes), and it does a good job of lifting the inner rear tire around a corner completely off the ground. I am going to buy the matching front bar one of these days, but have been waiting because I'm going to lower the truck first and see how much that helps. My truck is an FX4, and it is ridiculously high for a vehicle that only leaves the street when parked in the garage. I'm going to go with the 3/5 drop kit, as I'm getting to be a sad old man that almost needs to stop for air while climbing up to the drivers seat. I would sell it and go 2wd, but there are basically NONE to be had way up here in snow country(Minnesnowta). For sure none as loaded-up as mine.
not sure I understand! Should it be lifting the inner rear tire off the ground? Just looking for less body roll. Can you clarify for me? Thanks
Old 12-07-2017, 03:07 PM

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

It's called really driving deep/fast thru the corner. I try to go around clover leafs fast enough to get into a four-wheel-drift. When you do this, the inside rear wheel actually gets completely air-borne. I'm an old race car driver, and old habits are hard to break.
McLovin (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 03:47 PM
Senior Citizen Member

Got cha!
Im an old drag racer. No hard corners there! I just want the truck to feel a little less "boat like" going around corners under normal driving conditions. Do you think the bar I'm talking about will complement the factory front bar okay?
Old 12-07-2017, 04:05 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Little info here.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/hellw...y-bars-291200/
McLovin (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 04:35 PM
Senior Citizen Member

Thanks for supplying me with that link. I think I'm going to go ahead and order it up. Less than $300 on Amazon. Sounds like the "softest" setting will suit my needs just fine.

Quick Reply: Rear sway bar?