General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro Trailer Backup Assist

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 09:37 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Pro Trailer Backup Assist

Finally set up my Pro Trailer Backup Assist and it is amazing. Extremely easy to set up and makes backing up a trailer really easy. I have used trailers for many years and can back up any of them but this is too easy. I have a utility trailer set up now but will set up my Mastercraft boat trailer, my party barge trailer and my 20 foot heavy duty trailer ASAP. I would not have ordered this option but it came with my 2019 Platinum 4X4 Off-road and I will always have it on future vehicles. On a side note, I also use the parallel park assist.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:15 AM

Received 315 Likes on 195 Posts

Hmm I thought it was there for rookies and the rest of us use skill.

Last edited by 2dwoods; 07-18-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by 2dwoods
I can back up any trailer and it is hard to forget this skill. This is a great addition to the truck. Especially for older dudes like me. I like technology
Old 07-18-2019, 09:24 AM

Received 94 Likes on 49 Posts

I agree with the OP.

As an fyi, after you identify a trailer, in order to avoid the trailer screen showing up on the display at start up, you have to deselect the trailer. Just learned that today from another thread. Dealer gave me some wrong info, said you could not disable that default screen once you name a trailer.

Last edited by ztman; 07-18-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:48 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Do you have the skill to drive with manual steering, brakes, transmission, windows, locks, mirrors? Or are you a rookie who needs all those things to be powered & automatic?
Old 07-18-2019, 11:06 AM

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

I think it's also there to save marriages. I've spent enough time on boat launch ramps to see how bad things get when a guy tries to direct his wife to back up a trailer while he's on the boat.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:39 AM

Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by bassJAM
I think it's also there to save marriages. I've spent enough time on boat launch ramps to see how bad things get when a guy tries to direct his wife to back up a trailer while he's on the boat.
Hah, can't agree more. The wife does much better in the boat. She's a great driver, never had an accident over 30 years, but heaven forbid she can backup a trailer.
This feature just happened to be on my new truck and finally got it rigged up a couple weeks ago. I fooled around with it and surprised how good it actually worked. The next quiet day at the launch, I'll get her to try it out.
Personally I can back up a lot faster using the old experienced way, but the pro-assist is a pretty cool feature that actually works as designed.

Trending Topics

Old 07-18-2019, 01:41 PM

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Funny, I actually had trouble getting used to the backup assist lol. I kept turning it the way I would turn the steering wheel.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Steve83
Do you have the skill to drive with manual steering, brakes, transmission, windows, locks, mirrors? Or are you a rookie who needs all those things to be powered & automatic?
I still have all the skills needed, just choose not too. I am old enough not to stress over much. By the way, I have driven many manual gear box vehicles and the latest that I got rid of was the 2016 Shelby GT350. Just did not drive it that much and wanted only one vehicle. Glad that I did.

Quick Reply: Pro Trailer Backup Assist