General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLEASE Help - wiring issue. probably simple

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE Help - wiring issue. probably simple

Hi, I first off mods sry if this shouldnt be in general.. idk where else it would go.

Anyhow.. I''m hoping someone can help me. I know NOTHING about wiring/electronics on the truck (07 stx, dont think thats real important though)

Anyways, I got a new bull bar and 2 6" lights for it. It came with a relay, wiring, fuses, and a switch.

Instructions weren't worth a crap for me.. so I found what I thought would be a reliable diagram and went for it.

I'll post link at bottom of post to that.

The relay has 4 terminals, 1 for 12v (with 30amp fuse inbetween) , 1 for going to switch, 1 for going to light, and 1 ground. I did all that correctly (or so i believe i did)

I've got the relay mounted on the side close to the battery.

I've got the 2 lights, wired the black together, and ran up to the same ground I used for the relay (didnt see that being a problem?)

Then I've got the 2 red wires tied together, running up to the relay.

Then I had the switch. 1 ground, 1 going to 12v (with 30 amp fuse inbetween) and 1 going to the relay.

I thinK thats what I was supposed to do, but as soon as I hooked the wires to the + battery terminal, it shorted.

The fuse going from the battery to the switch blew. The fuse going from the battery to relay DID NOT.

I know nothing about this remember. So I don't know hwere to start to troubleshoot.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as what to look for, what to check? I've got a multimeter I can use. I just dont know where to start other than pulling it all out and starting all over again!

Also, I saw some diagrams NOT using a relay. What is the advantage of using the relay? Is that recommended or no?

My take was that it was needed to tie into using the hi/lo beams with the offroadlights. I don't want to, I just want them controlled by the switch only, which is why I ran straight to battery and not to fuse box or anything (the pdf said I can)

If I'm not doing that, should I just eliminate the relay and wire straight to the switch? It seems much more simple, but if it would be better id rather figure it out and use the relay. dont want to risk screwing something up.

sorry for the super long post, but if anyone has any ideas or can point me in a direction to check something, I would really really appreciate the help. thanks guys

oh here is the link to what i tried to follow for the most part:

http://www.sportcompactonly.com/manu...layHarness.pdf

stacy

Quick Reply: PLEASE Help - wiring issue. probably simple