General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help 1996 f150 twin i beam inner axel problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help 1996 f150 twin i beam inner axel problem

ok here is what happen a bit of rought terrian no problem for the good old ford hubs were locked slapped her in 4x4 started going heard 2 snapping noise's. first of all its a 1996 f 150 xl twin i beam suspention well on the passenger side the inner axel looks fine however its loose meaning i broke my u joint that conects it to the hub. can u let me knowif its safe to drive untell i fix this and give me any info on it that u know i miss my wheels i just wired in my sound system and some blue led lights and i have to break it please let me know guys thanks
mike
Old 04-01-2008, 11:43 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the board.

Sorry to hear about your problem. I do not know if it is safe to drive like that, or not. If you have unlocked the hubs, then I would think you should be okay to drive in 2H. Bummer you had to break them tho.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:44 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

+1 on dewman's comment - in 2WD with the hubs unlocked - may want to visually verify this - you should be OK until you have a chance to fix things.

Keep listening for any unusual sounds from the front and check them out. With damaged parts, it's difficult to truly understand what all is wrong and thus any advice is given somewhat with hesitation.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:09 AM

hey guys thanks a bunch i got my buddy to look under while i backed up with the hubs unlocked nothing turns seems like the only way to do more damage is if the hubs were locked thanks again ill update this and let u know how everything turns out

by the way its a 96 f-150 xl 5.0L reg cab long box 5 speed manual transmition i absolutly love this truck i only have 31 inch tires right now want to go 33"s set back a lil now do to this problem
Old 04-04-2008, 04:01 PM

well seems to be doing fine i brought it into my buddys shop after hours so i could use the hoist the axle is fine thank god however the u joint is for sure finished thats what those 2 loud snapings were ...anyways i turned the axle to how i thought would be easiest on everything while i drive usually only hear and odd noises over bumps
Old 04-13-2008, 04:46 AM

Default important

how wrong we were DO NOT DRIVE u mess up ur stub shaft and axel very costly fixed it today boy was i lucky yup fixed however due to driving it like this my diff seals for the axels are shot so now i get to ripp it all apart on wed again lol to change them when they get here i love small towns with no parts in stock lol also yah bad idea busted up my hub from the axle raddling around lol im not to good with all the names of the parts but its all bad when u blow that u joint lol PARK IT take care guys and thankyou for trying to help take care

Last edited by mikeg; 04-13-2008 at 04:52 AM.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:23 AM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeg
how wrong we were DO NOT DRIVE u mess up ur stub shaft and axel very costly fixed it today boy was i lucky yup fixed however due to driving it like this my diff seals for the axels are shot so now i get to ripp it all apart on wed again lol to change them when they get here i love small towns with no parts in stock lol also yah bad idea busted up my hub from the axle raddling around lol im not to good with all the names of the parts but its all bad when u blow that u joint lol PARK IT take care guys and thankyou for trying to help take care
Sorry to hear that we were wrong. I wasn't 100% on my suggestion, that was why I said "I think" you would be okay. That is good information to have though, and I will be sure to keep it in mind if I have that problem in the future.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:35 PM

no dont be sorry u were only trying to help and i ended up fixhing it fast enough it wasnt to serious i do have 4x4 again lol wich didnt work out the best for me tonight snow is to damn deep still lol....33" tires dont cut it when u break through the snow crust and the snow is 2 feet deep had it hung good and was rather imbarrased when a old chev had to pull me out but once i got out i had to pull a jeep out that was way worse off then i was wish i would have had the camera

Quick Reply: please help 1996 f150 twin i beam inner axel problem