Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Door Handle Will Not Unlock / Lock With Touch.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 12:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Passenger Door Handle Will Not Unlock / Lock With Touch.

Did a search for this but only found a thread posted by someone that had a low battery in their fob, that is not the case here. Also did not see a specific forum for problems.

A couple of weeks ago I attempted to open my truck on the passenger side door handle with my key in my pocket but nothing happened. Pushed the button on the remote to unlock and that worked. Now that it was unlocked I pushed the lock button on the passenger door, nothing. Walked around to the driver’s side. Handle unlocked and locked the doors as usual. Tried the passenger side again, this time with the key in the same hand, nothing.

At the time I found this I was at 35,850 miles. Called the dealership, they initially told me they could not see it until Mid February but when I explained I was about to hit 36,000 they let me bring it in and gave me a loaner till they could get to it. Since I was taking it in I gave them a list of other minor things to look at and repair that I had not bothered with taking it in for.

Arrived at the dealership and of course, 2 hours later the door handle is working fine. There were still 3 other things for them to look at and they were still going to check the door modules for codes. Several days later I realized I left something in the truck I needed for work and went to the dealership to retrieve it. Found the truck with the keys in it so I took them out, locked it, and tried to open the passenger door, nothing. Unlocked with fob then pushed the lock button on passenger handle, nothing. Put the keys back in and went around to my service advisor. I asked him what the status was on the door lock issue, his reply was they were unable to duplicate. I informed him it was doing right now and asked if I could show him. He was unable to go outside and the person working on it had gone home but he would let him know in the morning.

Called the following afternoon, service advisor had forgotten to tell the guy working on it but would now. He called me back a little while later and told me they had driven it for another concern that afternoon and the door handle was working now.

11 days after dropping it off they finished the other items and told me to come get it. When I arrived I was told they could not do anything with the door handle as it had worked every time. I told the service advisor to get the keys and show me it works, he wasn’t busy this time and I had a sneaking suspicion I had figured out the pattern to it not working. We went outside, he had the keys, grabbed the passenger door handle, nothing. He turned and looked at me with a completely bewildered look on his face. This confirmed my suspicion of the pattern, it only fails after it has been parked for a little while. At home when I found the problem it had not been driven for a few days, when I retrieved my item at the dealership it had not been driven since the day before, when I went to pick it up it had been in the same spot overnight. He got in and tapped the start button twice for accessory mode then turned it back off, locked it, tried the handle. It worked. I was wondering if maybe the vehicle battery was getting weak while parked and not sending power to both handle sensors but since it began working without starting the truck that eliminated that possibility.

My service advisor had never seen this problem before. Since they thought it was done they now have to work it back into the schedule for someone to look at next week. They know to check the handle to confirm the issue before moving it from the parking space it’s in now.

Anyone else seen this before? I’m thinking there is more to it than just replacing the door handle.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:44 PM

Still no answers on this from the dealer. Judging from lack of replies to this post I'm guessing not many owners have encountered this problem.

They called me yesterday and confirmed the handle was non functional when they tried it Monday morning. They requested I bring the other key for the truck to the dealership to try it. They were also very annoyed that I had given them a valet key and they could not get my owners manual out of my locked glove box. I told the guy I had never opened the owner’s manual as I had downloaded the PDF version and they should have access to the same thing if they needed it.

I took the other key fob up there, found my truck and tried it myself. No response from passenger handle, driver side worked fine. I checked the dash cam to see how long it had been parked. They parked it at 2:40, I got there at 5:20 so it fails less than 3 hours after being parked. Gave the other fob to the service advisor and told him it was currently not working with the second key. I heard nothing from them today.

The following users liked this post:
Mr. Chip (12-03-2023)
Old 02-09-2022, 01:33 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Lightbulb

PuzzledTraveler ... Judging from lack of replies to this post I'm guessing not many owners have encountered this problem.
Or... It's posted in General F150 Discusion rather than 2015 - 2020 Ford F150 ««« -click-
Old 02-10-2022, 02:50 PM
Official Ford Account

Received 460 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by PuzzledTraveler
Still no answers on this from the dealer. Judging from lack of replies to this post I'm guessing not many owners have encountered this problem.

They called me yesterday and confirmed the handle was non functional when they tried it Monday morning. They requested I bring the other key for the truck to the dealership to try it. They were also very annoyed that I had given them a valet key and they could not get my owners manual out of my locked glove box. I told the guy I had never opened the owner’s manual as I had downloaded the PDF version and they should have access to the same thing if they needed it.

I took the other key fob up there, found my truck and tried it myself. No response from passenger handle, driver side worked fine. I checked the dash cam to see how long it had been parked. They parked it at 2:40, I got there at 5:20 so it fails less than 3 hours after being parked. Gave the other fob to the service advisor and told him it was currently not working with the second key. I heard nothing from them today.
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2022, 02:55 PM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/intel...orking-432799/
Old 02-19-2022, 02:46 AM

I have been experiencing the problem for a while. Intermittent at first. I did see a low battery message at one point but assume it charged back on a long trip,
The dealer was clueless. Made to wait a couple of weeks to get in (which meant after two weeks I could park it on their lot for several days without looking at it.) Called 4 times over 4 months about the problem with no returned call so I drove there to make my appointment. Finally just had to go and pick it up with a request to get another call back...crickets, (I am living the Seinfeld "rental care reservation" episode) Looks like I will get this and one other issue resolved on this forum.

Also found a tech service bulletin for the pressure sensor switch. Might even be under warranty.

COVID and supply chain is seriously stressing dealership repair. They are short-handed and can't even get time to return calls.
The following users liked this post:
68mstngfstbk (11-20-2023)
Old 03-14-2022, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger door handle

Originally Posted by PuzzledTraveler

Just read this and am having the same issue. Mine is a 2018 also. Thought I would start looking for a solution and saw your comments. Have you figured out the issue?
Old 03-14-2022, 01:40 PM

No. From what I gather I may need to buy a new battery. I have been too busy to really get this resolved. I scheduled to have it looked at by the dealer (about a 2-week wait). I showed up to have it looked at and all they did was park it on their lot because they were behind. It stayed there for four days. I finally just went and picked it up. My dealership service dept is having some serious problems. I assume trickle down from COVID, parts shortage etc. Long story short:
I can't remember if this battery is original (2018). What I understand is that if the vehicle shuts the electronics down to conserve battery if parked for a period of time. That is one indicator that the battery is not quite capable of maintaining the level of charge necessary to engage the actuator on that side of the truck. Some have had success trickle charging the battery. I did have that message after the truck stayed in the garage for about a week. However, the battery seems very strong, with no issues whatsoever. Wish I could help you but still enduring the problem myself.

Frustrating that you have to go to a forum to find out things like this. It's a nuisance more than anything.
My dealer has already made a ton replacing the engine under warranty (8 month process). I have an emissions sensor triggering Ford Pass notifications (Approx 3 per week). The dealer didn't know anything about that either but I found a tech service bulletin on this site. These people are your best bet to research these things.
I love this truck but have wondered if the myriad of recalls and "I know nothing" responses from the dealer's service dept. is a paradigm to keep me walking around a showroom...
Old 03-14-2022, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks BT. Sorry your going through this. With such an awesome truck. So far the passenger door sensor not working periodically is my only issue (probably just jinxed myself).
I am getting the same message about the electronics being shut down to save the battery. I'll look into the battery issue. I'll let you know if I resolve my issue.
Old 03-15-2022, 10:32 AM

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Same issue... More info

So I've been having the same issue for the last 2 months. Have brought the vehicle into the dealership and they have replaced the BCM once, and reflashed it twice. All three times, after a couple of days, the problem reoccurred. What I have also noticed, is that the fuel pump continually primes itself for an extended period of time, which leads to the battery losing power. I have just notified the dealership that it is happening again, they are going to look into it further. I'm going to make them aware that this is a problem that is occurring for at least a few others. Looking forward to getting a solution that solves this problem.

Quick Reply: Passenger Door Handle Will Not Unlock / Lock With Touch.