General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking sensors or camera for parallel parking

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Parking sensors or camera for parallel parking

I do a lot of work in the city and need to parallel park a few times a day. I have an older F150 that parking sensors were not a factory opition. For those that have aftermarket sensors do the track distances or just beep when something is near?

I guess my goal is to be able to tell the differnce when I am 3" away and when I am 6"-9". Is that possible?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Nuthin' up my sleeves...

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

Check this out for $100....

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6199_200306199

"Back up your vehicle safely and with confidence. Backup guidance system with 2 1/2in. digital display shows the distance to the nearest object behind vehicle in feet or meters. Detects objects from 1 to 6 1/2 ft. Alarm sound increases in intensity as distance to object decreases (sound can be turned off)."
Old 06-27-2012, 10:10 AM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to check this out as well: They're the OEM for the Ford products, or at least it looks that way, so you might be able to really do yourself up.

http://www.echomaster.com/index.html
Old 06-27-2012, 10:27 AM

Crimestopper has one with front and rear sensors for around $150.
Has anyone used either the crimerstopper model or the ones mentioned above or another brand?

Are they accurate to one or two inches? I am squeezing in to spaces that are maybe a foot bigger then the truck so somehting that is not that accurate will not be that helpful
Old 06-27-2012, 10:52 AM

I have a bike rack and every time I backup the sound sensors are on and I turned them off. My question is how do I turned off the sound of the backup sensors? Thanks
Old 06-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Nuthin' up my sleeves...

If you REALLY want to be certain, seeing is believing. Maybe you should be looking at aftermarket cameras instead. My 2010 has the factory camera & sensor and I trust the camera (my eye!) more than the beeping. Just a thought.

Originally Posted by personalt
Crimestopper has one with front and rear sensors for around $150.
Has anyone used either the crimerstopper model or the ones mentioned above or another brand?

Are they accurate to one or two inches? I am squeezing in to spaces that are maybe a foot bigger then the truck so somehting that is not that accurate will not be that helpful
Old 06-27-2012, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by unixgeek13
If you REALLY want to be certain, seeing is believing. Maybe you should be looking at aftermarket cameras instead. My 2010 has the factory camera & sensor and I trust the camera (my eye!) more than the beeping. Just a thought.
I was thinking about a camera. The camera would have the advantage of allowing me to see the tow hitch.
My concern was when parellel parking. Is the camera wide enough to see the left/right rear corner of bumper when coming in on an angle? When I park on right side of street I can at least stick my head out window and see what is going on. But when I park on a one-way I often park on the left side of street so my right-rear corner comes in first.
Can you really use the camera to parellel park in tight places? I would also then need a camera for front that was wide enough to show the front right corner of the truck when pulling out.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Nuthin' up my sleeves...

They are usually wide-angle. With my factory camera, I see everything while parallel parking. I don't have a front camera, but I've yet to hit anything. Now I probably jinxed myself! Doh!!!!

I was thinking about a camera. The camera would have the advantage of allowing me to see the tow hitch.
My concern was when parellel parking. Is the camera wide enough to see the left/right rear corner of bumper when coming in on an angle? When I park on right side of street I can at least stick my head out window and see what is going on. But when I park on a one-way I often park on the left side of street so my right-rear corner comes in first.
Can you really use the camera to parellel park in tight places? I would also then need a camera for front that was wide enough to show the front right corner of the truck when pulling out.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:16 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the camera.. It it wide enough for the most part and wit the guid lines turned on it give a really good distance indicator.. one problem is its is creating a bad habit of not looking over my shoulder to back up anymore. I can see more from the camera and side view mirrors... if I had to choose.. it would've camera all the way
Old 06-27-2012, 03:17 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzzMan

I have the camera.. It it wide enough for the most part and wit the guid lines turned on it give a really good distance indicator.. one problem is its is creating a bad habit of not looking over my shoulder to back up anymore. I can see more from the camera and side view mirrors... if I had to choose.. it would've camera all the way
wow my spell check sucks

Quick Reply: Parking sensors or camera for parallel parking