General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Owners Guide Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Owners Guide Questions

Ok I may be tired and couldn't find it but is there a section about "Break In" for a new truck?

Also the Scheduled Maintenance booklet...the first oil change is @ 7,500...that doesn't seem right....

Anyone have a hands free cell phone system installed? Mobile _ease is the type of system i am looking for...I do a lot of meetings while driving.

Thanks for the help!!
Old 11-29-2008, 01:13 AM
2004 F150 Lariat

Most of the major manufacturers have done away with break-in periods and the subsequent early oil changes. The materials, tolerances, and manufacturing processes of todays engines are such that they need very little work to seat and harden everything.

Some reccomend 500miles worth of variable driving, with no absurd speeding or towing, but that's all. A small trailer or boat is no heavier than a load of passengers, so it doesn't really affect most of us.

It likely wouldn't hurt to follow the old-school 1000-5000 mile process with a 2.5K oil change, but you are likely just wasting your time and money.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:37 AM
2008 XLT Supercrew

My 2008 manual says to not drive a fixed speed for very long during the first 1000 miles and not to tow any trailers for the first 1000 miles.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:50 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

1k is the break in period for these newer trucks that I use.

There are several hands free cell after market setups available I do not know about ones that came stock. I dont know if Ford's SYNC was an option. Mine is a simple motorolla version that clips to the visor and can run through the stero.

As for the service interval, it is listed at 7500 miles. Mine was set up at 5000 due to the ESP plan I had them throw in when I bought my truck. That would indicate to me that if Ford is doing it at 5000 miles becasue they are responsible for the truck and it's service for 7500 miles, it might be a good idea to follow suit. This is of course not the case if you are going with synthetic oils as a replacement.

Last edited by SinCityFX4; 11-30-2008 at 02:28 AM.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:31 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There has always been two schools of thought on how to break in and engine. The Easy and the Hard school. The easy school is the factory approach. The hard school is usually advocated by racing people. I really have never decided who is correct. The link below is to an advocate for the hard method. I have done it both way with VW air cooled engines and I really could not tell any difference but a stock boxer VW engine is not exactly a tire smoking power houses either so I don't think you could tell the difference at any rate. I must admit however I lean in direction of the hard school, But as other have said here with the tight tolerances modern engines are assembled with I am not sure doing a dedicated break in matters anymore. Make sure you have good oil and go for it.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Quick Reply: Owners Guide Questions