Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

out there..

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 01:03 PM
jim

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default out there..

I'm brand new to f150's and this forum. some guys told me that if you use a computer tuner to change parameters ( make more power )that it would void warranty and that ford has a built in watchdog to let them know if they ever have to check something out on the obd2. please tell me that's bs, I'm thinking of upgrading to a tuner for towing. any info would be a great help!! Jim L.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:12 PM

Received 2,233 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Many here use tuners, I dont. From what I have read, there are those that return theirs to factory tune before returning for service under warranty.

There are those here who have had their trucks in while tuned, to their dealers for warranty work and the dealer has denied the warranty repair. Some have had theirs repaired even though it was tuned, under warranty.

My guess is: anything the FMCO can use to disallow a warranty claim, they will.
The following users liked this post:
floater212 (11-29-2015)
Old 11-29-2015, 01:26 PM
WindowGuy

Received 153 Likes on 135 Posts

That's been talked about a lot. I can't tell you the post, but there is a law that says aftermarket parts can't void the entire warranty. The dealer doesn't have to cover the non OEM part, but can't void the warranty. The law was intended to apply to people who used aftermarket parts instead of OEM before the warranty ran out. The law claim has been made that the covers performance parts too. As written the law required the dealer or Manufacturer to prove that the non OEM part caused a problem, and the warranty can only be voided on parts or system directly damaged by use of non OEM parts. That being said, say your dealer refuses to cover a blown tranny because you have a tuner, what ya gonna do. Go to court. Not very cost effective. It seems the key to aftermarket parts and warranty coverage is to find a dealer that is sympathetic to people who like to mod. There are dealers out there selling new trucks with lifts and warranties. One near me has a mod shop for Mustangs. That's kinda it in a nutshell.
floater212 (11-29-2015)
Old 11-29-2015, 02:33 PM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't know about the trucks having watch-dogs but usually, if you install a tune, you'll need to remove it if you take your truck in for service. It has something to do with the service computers not being able to communicate properly with a tuned computer on the truck. Just remove the tune, get it serviced, then re-install the tune.
floater212 (11-29-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 03:07 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Lightbulb

1) HINT/TIP: Put your vehicle information (year, cab type, trim, engine, wheelbase, _x4 drive, etc.) in your signature -OR- provide it in your posting(s).

2) HINT/TIP: You'll find posting in the appropriate
< year of the F-150 >
section more helpful/appropriate than General F150 Discussion posts.

-REFERENCE-

Quick Reply: out there..