Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ouch! Aluminum bed VS. landscape stones and...a Toolbox?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 01:16 AM

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Ouch! Aluminum bed VS. landscape stones and...a Toolbox?

I'm not a huge fan of D-Bag commercials like this but...IF this is legit.....then wow.

I have actually had this happen to me before, in a steel bed of course, just a few weeks ago. The first three rows of stones fell off a pallet suspended over my bed and tailgate on a forklift. From just about the same height. I got dents and scratches, totally livable but.....least it was only dents and scratches.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/08/c...0-rocks-video/

My bet, Aluminum F150s won't be around in 5 years.

Aluminum owners, what's been your experience so far?

Last edited by Daytoman; 06-10-2016 at 01:20 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:23 AM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytoman

Aluminum owners, what's been your experience so far?

The guys making these worthless commercials love guys like you. Remember, you only see what they want you to see....

My bet is I'll take your bet and will also bet Chubby is using Aluminum also.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:46 AM

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by idrive
The guys making these worthless commercials love guys like you. Remember, you only see what they want you to see....

My bet is I'll take your bet and will also bet Chubby is using Aluminum also.

Oh Im sure the others will jump on aluminum..for awhile...and only on certain areas of the truck. Just not the WHOLE truck.
And I'll also bet...That too shall pass.

Aluminum ain't gonna get any cheaper to use, easier to fix or cheaper to insure as more trucks hit the rode and hit other objects, needing repair. Ford is going to eventually have to stop subsidizing the Ford dealership networks body shops as well.
Aluminum adds sizzle to the sale and Fords gonna wring this shammy good for awhile but it'll reach a head.
LOL We'll see.

At least they won't rust......

Last edited by Daytoman; 06-10-2016 at 01:57 AM.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:39 AM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

A bed liner would have prevented any damage to either truck. The dents in the steel will eventually rust through creating the same damage, it'll just take longer.

While the steel bed came out ahead in this test, I've seen many others showing the aluminum bodies taking much less damage than steel in other tests. You can rig the test to get the results you want.

While aluminum will generally survive minor bumbs with no dents, if you get one the cost of repair will be more expensive. Close to twice as much from what I've seen.

FWIW my F-150 is a 2014 made before Ford went to aluminum. But when the time comes to trade I'll have no issues with it. There are pluses and minuses to both steel and aluminum. The pluses out weigh the minuses for me.
The following users liked this post:
Velosprout (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 07:40 AM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Originally Posted by marshallr
A bed liner would have prevented any damage to either truck. The dents in the steel will eventually rust through creating the same damage, it'll just take longer.

While the steel bed came out ahead in this test, I've seen many others showing the aluminum bodies taking much less damage than steel in other tests. You can rig the test to get the results you want.

While aluminum will generally survive minor bumbs with no dents, if you get one the cost of repair will be more expensive. Close to twice as much from what I've seen.

FWIW my F-150 is a 2014 made before Ford went to aluminum. But when the time comes to trade I'll have no issues with it. There are pluses and minuses to both steel and aluminum. The pluses out weigh the minuses for me.
bingo
Old 06-10-2016, 07:41 AM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Key word, Marketing
Old 06-10-2016, 11:44 AM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Chevy already announced in 2018 they are going aluminum. Spent almost a billion to retool their Flint Michigan Factory.

Surprising people are still skeptical of aluminum. It's not new. Most body shop personnel are already trained in it. That's probably the funniest thing to me. Everyone thinks it's a new thing and shops don't know how to work on it.

Ford has a specific certification, and tools they want you to use. A certain rivet gun, etc. And the tools they require changes month to month. They built that f150 modular. So certain things are riveted, or bolted. Vs welded. So that is really where the only difference is.

You can be Audi, MB, BMW, peterbuilt certified in aluminum, but not Ford. So technically you know nothing in the eyes of a Ford owner. But Ford lifted the certification requirement now. So as long as they have the tools, any shop can fix them now.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:06 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

What kind of dumb *** lets that kind of operator drop a load of heavy objects from that kind of height?

Even the guy that loads my truck with gravel gets low into the box and dumps slowly.

Totally unrealistic ad and as mentioned, a box liner would have solved that issue.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:28 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytoman

How much money are we betting? Because I'm willing to all against you on this one. Aluminum is here to stay and everyone is going to go to it because of the EPA/CAFE standards, including Chevy. MPG is the name of the game.

I'd like to see how either bed holds up with a bedliner, especially a LINE-X bedliner. My guess is that a good spray-on bedliner prevents most of what we just saw in that video.

BTW, I believe the video is accurate. I own a 2016 F150 after 13 years of a F250 XLT. Obvious differences in the bed.

Last edited by Sir Aaron; 06-10-2016 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:44 PM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by Sir Aaron
How much money are we betting? Because I'm willing to all against you on this one. Aluminum is here to stay and everyone is going to go to it because of the EPA/CAFE standards, including Chevy. MPG is the name of the game.

I'd like to see how either bed holds up with a bedliner, especially a LINE-X bedliner. My guess is that a good spray-on bedliner prevents most of what we just saw in that video.

BTW, I believe the video is accurate. I own a 2016 F150 after 13 years of a F250 XLT. Obvious differences in the bed.
Exactly. It's not a flash in the pan. Peterbuilt has been using it since the 40's. Land Rover, Audi, BMW, and Benz, have been using it for years. Even many Nissan maximas have all aluminum bolt on panels.

Quick Reply: Ouch! Aluminum bed VS. landscape stones and...a Toolbox?