Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitro Ridge Grapplers = MISTAKE???

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 09:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nitro Ridge Grapplers = MISTAKE???

Have a 18’ screw with fox shocks and hellwig sway bars. Wanted to upgrade tires from the stock wranglers so ended up going with nitro ridge grapplers because of all of the great reviews. Went with 285/60r20 which is a little taller and a little wider than stock at 275/55r20. So far the only thing I like about the tires is the look (which is an unbelievable upgrade from the crappy stockers). They are louder, although I can handle that, gas mileage is down a bit but I knew it would be. Biggest dissapointment is the handling- it has taken a huge dive. Getting off the freeway and going through a clover I can feel the back end swaying out to the side. Basically any handling side to side at speed is extremely soft whereas with the wranglers I could take corners tight as a drum.

Is this typical? I have inflation set to 40 per tire shop recommendation. I hate to go any higher than that because ride quality has already taken a big hit as well, so airing up more will only make it worse. Any thoughts? Is there an A/T out there that may preserve more ride quality and handling performance but be an upgrade to the stockers?
Old 04-11-2019, 10:07 PM
Brodozin' through life

Received 1,345 Likes on 840 Posts

I’ve never experienced this, and I’ve had 4 sets of them on different vehicles from a Tacoma, 4Runner, my 150 and a 250. Mine weren’t loud by any stretch, at all, and rode great. Even the load range F ones ride great. Bring your tire pressure down to 35.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:29 AM

Received 275 Likes on 239 Posts

Lower your tire pressures a bit. Use some sidewalk chalk to insure you are getting complete contact across the tread. Once that is achieved, that's the pressure you should run.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:23 AM

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

I did the exact same thing as you, its a simple fix and it works - Bilstein 5100s on the rear. Install takes 15 minutes seriously, you don't have to jack the truck up, 4 bolts swap.

The Bilstein totally tames the rear end. When I got my RGs, they put like 55 or 60 PSI in them, i was bouncing all over. Reduced to 38 i think and it helped but still dangerous wheel hop. Once I upgraded the shocks it was a done deal.

You'll be very happy, do it. And the RGs are amazing tires, they grip so well in all conditions.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmslf150
I did the exact same thing as you, its a simple fix and it works - Bilstein 5100s on the rear. Install takes 15 minutes seriously, you don't have to jack the truck up, 4 bolts swap.

The Bilstein totally tames the rear end. When I got my RGs, they put like 55 or 60 PSI in them, i was bouncing all over. Reduced to 38 i think and it helped but still dangerous wheel hop. Once I upgraded the shocks it was a done deal.

You'll be very happy, do it. And the RGs are amazing tires, they grip so well in all conditions.
thanks for the ideas and feedback all. I will do the chalk test today. To shocks- I have fox 2.5 shocks in the back and had the billsteins before them. I like the fox 2.5 a lot and had amazing handling before putting the RGs on, which is what makes me think something is not right with the tires...

i do feel the grip of the tires- I am guessing they will do excellent in all weather conditions, but the handling at higher speeds is my issue. I tow a camper and was hoping these would help with tail wag and sway, but now I am wondering if they will make it worse even though they are E rated!

i am wide open to other ideas and thoughts, thank you on advance!

Last edited by npmoore; 04-12-2019 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:03 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I just put 295/60r20 Ridge Grapplers on my 2013 along with Bilstein 5100's all the way around and I haven't experienced this at all. I run mine at 40 PSI and I can't get over how awesome they ride to be a pretty aggressive tire.

Quick Reply: Nitro Ridge Grapplers = MISTAKE???