Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Truck Extra Protections

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Truck Extra Protections

Hey Guys,

Just got my second brand new truck. Was curious to know what extras out there people are investing in to protect their trucks outside the initial protection pitches from the dealerships? I've been looking into getting the 3m Film installed to protect some of the paint and a little hesitant it might be rather noticeable? My biggest concern is the back bumper (painted) and the front part of the wheel wells from rock chips. I drive a lot of gravel in the fall for hunting season, and my BFgoodrich are essentially sandblasting both of those hot spots so i would guess the 3m Film won't hold up for too terribly long. I was also contemplating a shot of Line-X in both of those spots,

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:21 PM

Received 434 Likes on 291 Posts

Fluid Film on all the steel parts on the underside, including a liberal amount sprayed in the frame rails.....I guess if you dont drive on salt treated roads you can skip it.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:19 PM
Heat Miser

Received 144 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by DP99
Hey Guys,

Just got my second brand new truck. Was curious to know what extras out there people are investing in to protect their trucks outside the initial protection pitches from the dealerships? I've been looking into getting the 3m Film installed to protect some of the paint and a little hesitant it might be rather noticeable? My biggest concern is the back bumper (painted) and the front part of the wheel wells from rock chips. I drive a lot of gravel in the fall for hunting season, and my BFgoodrich are essentially sandblasting both of those hot spots so i would guess the 3m Film won't hold up for too terribly long. I was also contemplating a shot of Line-X in both of those spots,

Thanks.
If you drive on a lot of gravel, i'd definitely consider the clear film. I'd put it on your rockers behind your tires though, as that's where it gets spit up.
I'd also put it on the front of your hood, mirrors, and maybe even look into some windshield film
You mentioned your black bumper(s) too, but are concerned about it making 'em more shiny? If so, you can get protective film in black as well.
I've got a roll I use on my mountain bike(s)
You definitely can see it on your vehicle-on the hood, the line where it ends is pretty noticeable- but you gotta remember, it looks a heckuva lot better than a bunch of pitting
Old 04-15-2019, 07:33 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

line-x. Ford ESP.

I also recommend 3M clear bra on the front end.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by yokev
If you drive on a lot of gravel, i'd definitely consider the clear film. I'd put it on your rockers behind your tires though, as that's where it gets spit up.
I'd also put it on the front of your hood, mirrors, and maybe even look into some windshield film
You mentioned your black bumper(s) too, but are concerned about it making 'em more shiny? If so, you can get protective film in black as well.
I've got a roll I use on my mountain bike(s)
You definitely can see it on your vehicle-on the hood, the line where it ends is pretty noticeable- but you gotta remember, it looks a heckuva lot better than a bunch of pitting
I got the Magnetic Metallic platinum, so the back bumper is painted grey. My previous truck was showing the wear there as well, so trying to save it as much as i can if possible.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fender flares.

Last edited by Bobshabobaly; 04-21-2019 at 10:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
77Ranger460 (04-21-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 06:05 AM

Received 205 Likes on 152 Posts

Driving on a lot of gravel roads the first thing I always do is install rear wheel well liners.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:03 PM

Received 716 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by DP99
My previous truck was showing the wear there as well, so trying to save it as much as i can if possible.
Contoured mud flaps sound like a no-brainer for your application.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:35 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Paint protection film on the hood, fenders, rockers and behind rear wheels, ceramic coating, fender liners in the back, and mud flaps. The film is only noticeable when dusty, the ceramic will help protect against minor scratches from bushes and such, and the wheel liners and flaps help keep rocks from being kicked up inside.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:12 AM

I had the molded flaps on my last truck. This time around I have ones similar to the gator backs. I did get the factory wheel well liners, but seem like they don’t come down as low as I would have initially thought.

Quick Reply: New Truck Extra Protections