Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Truck Extra Protections

 
Old 04-15-2019, 04:24 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default New Truck Extra Protections

Hey Guys,

Just got my second brand new truck. Was curious to know what extras out there people are investing in to protect their trucks outside the initial protection pitches from the dealerships? I've been looking into getting the 3m Film installed to protect some of the paint and a little hesitant it might be rather noticeable? My biggest concern is the back bumper (painted) and the front part of the wheel wells from rock chips. I drive a lot of gravel in the fall for hunting season, and my BFgoodrich are essentially sandblasting both of those hot spots so i would guess the 3m Film won't hold up for too terribly long. I was also contemplating a shot of Line-X in both of those spots,

Thanks.
DP99 is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 05:21 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 945
Liked 186 Times in 134 Posts
Default

Fluid Film on all the steel parts on the underside, including a liberal amount sprayed in the frame rails.....I guess if you dont drive on salt treated roads you can skip it.
77Ranger460 is online now  
Old 04-15-2019, 07:19 PM
  #3  
Heat Miser
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 782
Liked 91 Times in 80 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DP99 View Post
Hey Guys,

Just got my second brand new truck. Was curious to know what extras out there people are investing in to protect their trucks outside the initial protection pitches from the dealerships? I've been looking into getting the 3m Film installed to protect some of the paint and a little hesitant it might be rather noticeable? My biggest concern is the back bumper (painted) and the front part of the wheel wells from rock chips. I drive a lot of gravel in the fall for hunting season, and my BFgoodrich are essentially sandblasting both of those hot spots so i would guess the 3m Film won't hold up for too terribly long. I was also contemplating a shot of Line-X in both of those spots,

Thanks.
If you drive on a lot of gravel, i'd definitely consider the clear film. I'd put it on your rockers behind your tires though, as that's where it gets spit up.
I'd also put it on the front of your hood, mirrors, and maybe even look into some windshield film
You mentioned your black bumper(s) too, but are concerned about it making 'em more shiny? If so, you can get protective film in black as well.
I've got a roll I use on my mountain bike(s)
You definitely can see it on your vehicle-on the hood, the line where it ends is pretty noticeable- but you gotta remember, it looks a heckuva lot better than a bunch of pitting
yokev is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 07:33 PM
  #4  
Senile member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Sarasota, FL area
Posts: 2,454
Liked 513 Times in 374 Posts
Default

line-x. Ford ESP.

I also recommend 3M clear bra on the front end.
chimmike is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 11:23 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by yokev View Post
If you drive on a lot of gravel, i'd definitely consider the clear film. I'd put it on your rockers behind your tires though, as that's where it gets spit up.
I'd also put it on the front of your hood, mirrors, and maybe even look into some windshield film
You mentioned your black bumper(s) too, but are concerned about it making 'em more shiny? If so, you can get protective film in black as well.
I've got a roll I use on my mountain bike(s)
You definitely can see it on your vehicle-on the hood, the line where it ends is pretty noticeable- but you gotta remember, it looks a heckuva lot better than a bunch of pitting
I got the Magnetic Metallic platinum, so the back bumper is painted grey. My previous truck was showing the wear there as well, so trying to save it as much as i can if possible.
DP99 is offline  
Old 04-21-2019, 10:45 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Fender flares.

Last edited by Bobshabobaly; 04-21-2019 at 10:47 PM.
Bobshabobaly is offline  
The following users liked this post: Bobshabobaly
77Ranger460 (04-21-2019)
Old Yesterday, 06:05 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
seventyeight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: NW Penna
Posts: 462
Liked 97 Times in 81 Posts
Default

Driving on a lot of gravel roads the first thing I always do is install rear wheel well liners.
seventyeight is offline  
Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1,694
Liked 474 Times in 301 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DP99 View Post
My previous truck was showing the wear there as well, so trying to save it as much as i can if possible.
Contoured mud flaps sound like a no-brainer for your application.
Kingofwylietx is offline  
Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
acdii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,274
Liked 1,455 Times in 1,171 Posts
Default

Paint protection film on the hood, fenders, rockers and behind rear wheels, ceramic coating, fender liners in the back, and mud flaps. The film is only noticeable when dusty, the ceramic will help protect against minor scratches from bushes and such, and the wheel liners and flaps help keep rocks from being kicked up inside.
acdii is online now  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Truck Extra Protections


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: