General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here--should I or shouldn't I?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 08:39 PM
Sail fast, live slow!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New here--should I or shouldn't I?

New here! Bought a new sailboat and need a truck with a 5.4 to pull it just to my slip once in the spring and back in the fall. I used my brother in laws F150 with the 5.4 to pull it home when I bought it and it pulled it fine I (slow on take off but fine after up to speed). Sailboat is 26 feet and weighs 7000lbs with boat, trailer and no gear.

So, I have owned pick ups in the past but not for over 15 years. Used to be a Chevy man all the way but with my brother in law being an engineer for Ford and getting to ride and drive several new cars he brings home, I think I am switching to Ford. I love the Dodge Rams too but they are all rust buckets.

Here is my question...I am just looking at getting a used 2004 F150 4x4 quad cab with a 5.4. I do all my own car repairs (or at least 95% of them) but my brother in law told me to make sure the plugs were changed before I buy anything. I then researched the issue having no idea about it and it seems to be a huge issue. I then asked the guy I am buying the truck from if the plugs were ever changed and he said no.

So, does one HAVE to replace the plugs or just if they are having issues or as a routine maintenance item? I see there is a tool one can buy in case they break so if it's not too hard, I'll do that IF I need to change them. I use PB Blaster on several very rusted bolts/nuts and the stuff is amazing. I am assuming it's not a rust issue but more of a heat/seizing issue correct?

Has anybody just tried soaking them in PB Blaster for the night and see what happens? I believe the cam phaser has to be changed to if I want the tick to go away. It is hard to turn down this truck for the price and it literally looks like new inside and out. 150,000 on it and well taken care of. I can get another 150 out of it. My brother in law brought his last F150 to 285,000 miles and it would still be going if a cop who made an illegal turn didn't broadside him.

Thoughts on the plug issue??
Old 10-28-2015, 12:18 AM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

Lightbulb

HINT/TIP: You'll find posting in the
Late Model F150s > 2004 - 2008 Ford F150
section more helpful/appropriate than General F150 Discussion posts.

-REFERENCE-

Quick Reply: New here--should I or shouldn't I?