General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy at tune ups

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New guy at tune ups

Not necessarily new, but with this vehicle, never done it. I would like to replace the spark plug boots on my 2.7 while I'm changing plugs. Do the factory boots come with the wire in them? I've seen a few pics with the boot pictured, and the wire next to it. I'd really rather not have to figure this little trick out. Thanks, all!
Old 05-12-2024, 06:04 PM
TOTM 8/2019

Received 362 Likes on 271 Posts

When you replace boots you should also replace the springs. They should have kits that have both. Make sure you use dialectic grease as well.
Old 05-12-2024, 06:10 PM

Received 1,215 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003heritage
Not necessarily new, but with this vehicle, never done it. I would like to replace the spark plug boots on my 2.7 while I'm changing plugs. Do the factory boots come with the wire in them? I've seen a few pics with the boot pictured, and the wire next to it. I'd really rather not have to figure this little trick out. Thanks, all!
Sometime the motorcraft is boot only, but aftermarket is typically boot/spring combo.

get the motorcraft spark plugs and any brand boot/springs.
Old 06-07-2024, 04:31 PM

Okay, got the new boots (NGK). Contact wire comes separate from the boot, and must be installed. I'd like to have these ready to go when I start, but cannot find a pic or anything instructional as to how these are fitted into the boot, like the depth they should be seated. Anyone got this info handy? Everyone shows taking the boot on and off, but not how to put the wire in. Thank,

Tim
Old 06-07-2024, 05:03 PM

Received 1,215 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003heritage
Okay, got the new boots (NGK). Contact wire comes separate from the boot, and must be installed. I'd like to have these ready to go when I start, but cannot find a pic or anything instructional as to how these are fitted into the boot, like the depth they should be seated. Anyone got this info handy? Everyone shows taking the boot on and off, but not how to put the wire in. Thank,

Tim
i have diff engine but should be same:

- do one cylinder at a time, start to finish.

- examine metal tab on coil, make sure it’s clean, use a tiny file if needed to make clean

- push spring (by itself) onto the tab, press straight on/down until it’s as far as it goes.

- push booth over spring and onto coil so position is same as original

- put “light” coating of dialetctric grease on end of boot (that will go onto plug)

- push assembly down onto plug, screw bolt down snug (only hand snug)

- plug in… onto next one
The following 3 users liked this post by laterongc:
BlkNBlu (06-07-2024), Newbie 5 (06-07-2024), twotoilets (06-08-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by laterongc
i have diff engine but should be same:

- do one cylinder at a time, start to finish.

- examine metal tab on coil, make sure it’s clean, use a tiny file if needed to make clean

- push spring (by itself) onto the tab, press straight on/down until it’s as far as it goes.

- push booth over spring and onto coil so position is same as original

- put “light” coating of dialetctric grease on end of boot (that will go onto plug)

- push assembly down onto plug, screw bolt down snug (only hand snug)

- plug in… onto next one
Little bit different on this one, but got it done. You have to insert the wire in from the plug end of the boot. I found out after balling the first one up that dielectric grease is your friend, so I now have 5 new boots, and the best out of the old ones (which weren't really all that bad). The bastard of the bunch was the rear cylinder on the passenger side. There's just no way to get in there comfortably to get it in and out, which led to the "where am I bleeding from" game. The other 5 went pretty well. 2-3/4 hours for the whole job, and i wasn't really pushing it. It wasn't running bad before, but there's a noticeable difference in power. The plugs that were in were pretty burnt. Thanks all for the advice!

Quick Reply: New guy at tune ups