Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy in town.. Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 01:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy in town.. Advice please

Hello everyone,
So I just bought an 07' 5.4 4x4 F150, at auction. The truck has just above 120,000 miles, but everything operational functions great as far as I can tell. Apart from needing to replace the windshield, and the paint coming off the inside of the bed, I am pretty content.

So my question really is, given the mileage, what should I inspect, replace, or keep an eye on? A friend of mine bought an 2WD 2009 F150 with the same engine, about the same mileage, but overlooked a clicking sound. Turns out he needs to fix a few things including the sprockets, timing chain guides, tensioners.

I also have read a few disgruntled reviews regarding having to replace the engine entirely, but I have taken those with a grain of salt so far as they were anonymous reviews.

I appreciate any advice I can get, so I can keep my F150 on the road for years to come.

Thank you!
Old 08-24-2014, 10:10 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

From from personal experience I had to get my transmission rebuilt of the 2007 I had at 95000 miles. I wasn't happy but it was under extended warranty to. I sold it at 100,000 miles though but never had any other issues
Old 08-24-2014, 11:59 AM
Chive So Hard

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

That ticking sound of which you speak is the infamous cam phaser noise that plagues the 5.4 3v. Be mindful to listen for it and if you do hear it becoming an issue, you will have to either get your hands dirty doing some serious work to the front end of the engine or pay somebody a large sum of money to do it for you. Dont let that issue contiue on unfixed as it might lead to you needing to replace the engine because of bent valves and that kind of fun stuff. Go check out the 04-08 thread and do a little bit of reading on the generous supply of cam phaser repair knowlege. Any ways good luck with your new truck and enjoy it. Post pictures up if you get the chance.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KCCOFox
That ticking sound of which you speak is the infamous cam phaser noise that plagues the 5.4 3v. Be mindful to listen for it and if you do hear it becoming an issue, you will have to either get your hands dirty doing some serious work to the front end of the engine or pay somebody a large sum of money to do it for you. Dont let that issue contiue on unfixed as it might lead to you needing to replace the engine because of bent valves and that kind of fun stuff. Go check out the 04-08 thread and do a little bit of reading on the generous supply of cam phaser repair knowlege. Any ways good luck with your new truck and enjoy it. Post pictures up if you get the chance.
Yeah I might have the beginnings of that issue judging from the low RPM ticking, and I think I'll take it on myself.. Haven't read many good things about taking it to a dealership, and I need to learn a bit more about the internal workings of the truck anyhow, so it will be some good experience gained, along with some assistance.

Quick Reply: New guy in town.. Advice please