General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to group. New to truck. 89 Bricknose

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to group. New to truck. 89 Bricknose

Hi, new here. Currently waiting on Pennsylvania to lift travel restrictions. Also waiting on Virginia to issue replacement title on my grandfather's 89 Lariat. He sent a book of pictures. I haven't been able to take any photos yet. But its the heavy-half 5.8 4x4. Has approximately 48,600 miles and has been kept in a heated garage.

Now clearly the 1990's has been smeared all over the truck. Looking for opinions should I leave it alone? Should I have a body guy remove the graphics? Also called my insurance company for classic insurance. They want to know what im insuring it for? Have no idea on what's the value? Any input is appreciated. Always loved the bricknose and this truck.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:10 AM
The Hammer

Received 300 Likes on 158 Posts

Congrats! (Hopefully he's gifting it to you and he is still with us) Looks like it's in fine shape. As far as removing things or leaving be, that's a question only you can answer. Leaving as is gives it an obvious retro look. Of course, you could always modernize it. You do risk the paint under the graphics being a darker shade of white when you take it off. Many believe white doesn't fade, but it does, especially after 31 years. If it were mine, even if it's not my style, I would probably leave as is to honor my grandfather. I don't know what your relationship was with him, but I loved both of my grandfathers, so I would leave it as is to better remember him. Either way, it looks like you got a nice truck.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:57 AM

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,494 Posts

"Heavy Half" was a GM package - not Ford. If it's an F150, it's just an F150 - there's nothing "heavy" about it.

It's your truck - do what you want with it. If you're not sure what you want, just MAINTAIN it until you notice something that needs to be changed. Then look for the BEST thing to change it to, to suit your needs. Don't look at what other people need, or what other people blow their money on - make it YOURS.

But if you plan to sell it (and I certainly would), focus on what buyers of those trucks want: not exactly "original", but "unmolested". Don't try to cram 44" tires under it, or add more chrome (it has plenty) - just keep it working reliably enough to drive cross-country.

'87-89 F-series are arguably the worst fullsize trucks Ford has yet made, so there are several things you need to watch out for - especially the alternator, but also the ignition switch, ignition control module (on the distributor), the tilt column mechanisms, the in-tank fuel pumps & the reservoir on the frame, ALL the underhood wiring... Ford published recalls & TSBs about all of them & more.
Old 11-23-2020, 04:53 AM
Veteran, retired Navy..

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,743 Posts

Welcome to the forum, congrats & good luck with the 89..
Old 12-20-2020, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Steve83
"Heavy Half" was a GM package - not Ford. If it's an F150, it's just an F150 - there's nothing "heavy" about it.
This truck as well as my father's 1991 were equipped with 3/4 ton springs. Do belive the 89 was done at the dealer with some sort of a tow package. Dad's was a custom stripper. 4x4 300 inline automatic. He bought it new not sure what it was. We always thought it was packaged as a fleet truck. 11500.00 msrp!!! Lol Both have 5 bolt axles.

Last edited by Lesnocker; 12-20-2020 at 05:46 AM.
Old 03-17-2023, 02:52 PM

Hi,

Great looking truck. Can you tell me what brand the push/grille guard is? I'm looking for one for my 1990 F-350

Thank you,
Dan
Old 03-18-2023, 02:20 PM

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,494 Posts

This thread has been dead over 2 years.

Quick Reply: New to group. New to truck. 89 Bricknose