General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new 2013 xlt questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 10:02 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Default new 2013 xlt questions

Bought a new f150 xlt crewcab and after reading the novel that came with it, I can't find my answers. I dropped some friends off at work and they could not open the back doors until I unlocked the doors, no problem, the child safety lock must be on, wrong, is this how these trucks are or is there something wrong with mine?

Another question, I see when going through the menu that there is a check box next to the oil life but for the life of me I can't figure out how to uncheck that box. Am I not allowed to turn the oil life reminder off permanently?
Old 01-20-2014, 04:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is how my car is about the locks. It is normal I assume.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:49 AM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by xlttune
Bought a new f150 xlt crewcab and after reading the novel that came with it, I can't find my answers. I dropped some friends off at work and they could not open the back doors until I unlocked the doors, no problem, the child safety lock must be on, wrong, is this how these trucks are or is there something wrong with mine?

Another question, I see when going through the menu that there is a check box next to the oil life but for the life of me I can't figure out how to uncheck that box. Am I not allowed to turn the oil life reminder off permanently?
My 13 XLT SCrew is the same way. Unless I turn the ignition off and open my door first the back doors stay locked. I believe it is part of the locking mechanism. I also have my rear window buttons locked out as I have kids so that might be it as well.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the replies, I turned the auto lock feature off and that seems to work good for me.
The following users liked this post:
Toddman38 (01-22-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 08:57 PM

Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts

I don't remember changing anything on mine. I drop my kids off at school all the time without having to turn off the truck.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:22 PM

That's why I was asking, a buddy's F350 is the same way, can't get out of the back unless the driver unlocks the doors, confirmed that today. This doesn't seem like a correct operation of the doors but then again what I think and what ford thinks are different and regardless of what I think ford is always correct. Might ask the dealer about it next time I'm there.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:21 AM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

It's called the AutoLock Feature, if On it locks all doors when vehicle Speed reaches 15 mph or above! Automatically unlocks when truck is turned off, otherwise as stated you have to unlock door by Switch or door lock stem!

You have the Option to Enable/Disable this feature in the gauge 4" screen menu under Vehicle Settings.... With it Disabled, doors will Stay locked/Unlocked till switch or key fob is depressed to do otherwise!
Old 01-22-2014, 08:10 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Autolock has nothing to do with doors being able to be opened or not. In short, IF a back door is locked in any manner (whether autolock or not), you cannot open it with a handle UNLESS it's unlocked. You can unlock it with the key fob, you can unlock it with the buttons on the front doors, you can unlock it with autounlock, or you can pull the button up on the door itself to unlock it. This isn't a F-150 feature, works that way on most vehicles.

In new vehicles for many years, the button on the door is very hard to open with your hand, to stop thieves from pulling it up with a coathanger. But it CAN be pulled up manually.

Childlock features make it so the handle on the back doors doesn't work at all when the switch is thrown, requiring the door to be opened from the outside. This goes back to the old days when you could open a door at 50 mph and do a header on the pavement when Mom and Dad were not looking. Even if the door is unlocked (any manner), you can't open it with the inside handle.

Autolock is a feature that automatically locks or unlocks doors, different ways depending on year/model of vehicle. My 2013 locks at 12 mph and auto unlocks all doors if I switch the truck off and open my driver's door within 10 minutes (per manual).
Old 01-22-2014, 11:03 PM

I know it's my fault for not looking in to stuff like this but this is the stuff that I'm finding that is making regret my purchase.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:41 PM
Five-0 Ret.

Received 674 Likes on 578 Posts

^^^The biggest problem is there are too many lawyers with nothing to do these days but sue over everything. You'll find that all cars have similar aggravations. My C6 Corvette to name one. With the electronics in this car, when I get out with the key fob in my pocket, the passenger door cannot be opened. It will lock, and it cannot be unlocked in any way. It really pisses the Wifey off, and I have to leave the fob with her.

Last edited by Wanted33; 01-23-2014 at 04:20 PM.

Quick Reply: new 2013 xlt questions