Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need guidance!!! 6" lift kit for 2015 XLT 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 11:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need guidance!!! 6" lift kit for 2015 XLT 2wd

Hello,

I know there are several threads regarding lifts, and if I need to ask my questions on one of those instead of starting my own thread, please let me know.

I have a 2015 F150 XLT Super Crew 2wd and really want to do a 6" lift with 35" tires. I've contacted a couple shops around me but keep getting different info and would like some guidance from all of you!

First: lift kit - I've been told to get Rough Country, Pro Comp, and FabTech. I'm leaning towards Pro Comp, but would like to hear what you guys think.

Second: tires - I've been told to look at Toyo and Nitto. Any preference? I'm interested in all-terrain if that makes a difference.

Third: wheels - I've been told that I can use my stock 18" wheels and I've also been told that I CANNOT use my stock wheels. All sorts of confused here. Someone mentioned spacers, but I worry that that's one more part that I have to worry about having problems with.

Lastly - are there any negatives I should be concerned with? I know that my ball joints will wear quicker than normal, but that's all I've been told. I also understand that I'll need to get headlights adjusted and my speedometer recalibrated. Anything else?

I'll be totally honest and admit that I know almost nothing about all of this! All I know is that I LOVE the look of a lifted truck and don't want to be poor in the end. I just think lifted trucks look badass and a chick driving a lifted truck looks even better! ANY help I can get would be super appreciated!! I'm terrified at the thought of dropping a bunch of money for something that'll be a giant mistake. I see a ton of lifted trucks down here (SWFL) but most of them are 4x4.

Thank you in advance for your help!!!
Old 12-06-2017, 08:52 PM

Received 391 Likes on 256 Posts

Hello from Tampa Bay!

All those shops are correct. Every brand of lift is different, so depending on which brand they are referring to, the wheel size, tire size, etc can be different as to what fits.

I'd pick a brand that you like based on feedback from others, and then you can figure out what wheel / tire size fits on that lift. All the ones you mention are pretty reputable. Mine is BDS, you can look at theirs too. On my BDS you can run either 35" or 37" tires.

Be aware though that regardless of lift brand, the wheel and tire combo you choose may require the shop to trim off some parts of your truck so that the tires don't rub anywhere.

Nitto's are great tires. I run Ridge Grapplers and love them.

As for negatives, if the lift is installed correctly, it will compensate for the increased height and the extra wear and tear should be minimal. Other negatives: Forget about parking garages, you won't fit in many, same with car washes, etc. And if you live in a house with a garage, your truck may be too high to fit.

Other than that, you'll probably love a lifted truck!

Your best bet is to pick a local shop that has a good reputation, and go in and talk to them in person about what works best for your truck.

Let me know if you have other questions!

Last edited by Florida_F150; 12-06-2017 at 08:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
laydog97 (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 10:16 PM

Thank you so much for your input! Didn’t even know about the possibility of having to trim for the tires. Silly question : if trimming was involved would that affect anything in the long run if I chose to sell the truck someday and needed to take the truck back to stock?
Totally thought this would be such an easy process but it’s not. Are there any truck fairies that can just pick up my truck, work their magic , and then drop it back off??? Seems like a reasonable request.
seriosuly though, thank you! And if you have any shop recommendations up near you, I’m willing to travel.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by laydog97
Thank you so much for your input! Didn’t even know about the possibility of having to trim for the tires. Silly question : if trimming was involved would that affect anything in the long run if I chose to sell the truck someday and needed to take the truck back to stock?
Totally thought this would be such an easy process but it’s not. Are there any truck fairies that can just pick up my truck, work their magic , and then drop it back off??? Seems like a reasonable request.
seriosuly though, thank you! And if you have any shop recommendations up near you, I’m willing to travel.
Haha, happy to help!

So yeah, lifting a truck is a pretty big deal. It's awesome, but it's pretty permanent. If you're going to do it, you'll either want to permanently keep the truck (and keep it lifted) or know that when you go to sell it, you'll have to sell it to someone who wants a lifted truck. The trimming is the *minor* part of lifting it. They actually have to cut out parts of the subframe and weld new parts in to make it all work. It completely alters your truck. Don't be scared of that. There's nothing "wrong" with doing it. But it's not reversible. Once it's lifted, that's pretty much it. Keep in mind I'm talking about a proper 6" lift. There are other methods to raise a truck 2" or so, that will allow larger tires, that are not permanent. That's something different than a lift though, and is limited to around 2" or so.

Yes, there actually *are* truck people that will take your truck for a few days, and return it done and lifted. My shop is awesome and is located in Tampa. (It's called XTreme Jeep and Truck on N. Florida Ave). You can give them a call and ask for Jessie.

Here's my truck with a BDS 6" lift and Nitto Ridge Grapplers, done by the guys at XTreme Jeep and Truck.

Last edited by Florida_F150; 12-06-2017 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:52 PM

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

As Florida_F150 mentioned, there is a good possibility that trimming would be required, however this will completely depend on the set up you choose to run (the amount of lift, tire size and wheel offset). BDS and Pro Comp are both excellent choices and great quality.When I purchased my 08 F150, it had a 6 inch Pro Comp lift, 20x10 Fuel wheels and was on a set of 37 inch Nitto Mud Grapplers.I was impressed with the ride quality, however the tires were quite loud, I would definitely recommend staying with an all-terrain tire. They are typically a little less expensive and a lot less noisy.

In regards to wheels, as mentioned, it will depend on the kit. So first things first, I would decide on which reputable shop you want to do the work and then stop in and tell them exactly what you're wanting to accomplish. A lot of people tend to be against the use of spacers. I personally have owned 4 lifted trucks, ranging from a 6 inch kit on 35's to a 30 inch SAS swap on 53 inch Michelin tires. I used spacers on each of my personal trucks, as I liked the appearance of a wider stance. I would however recommend staying around a 2" spacer and making sure that they are of quality build if you decide to go that route.

Congrats on the planning, it's a lot of fun watching it come together and having your personal "build". Be sure to upload some pictures once complete!

Awesome truck Florida_F150, great quality photos and the set up looks very clean!
The following 2 users liked this post by Truck Brigade:
Florida_F150 (12-07-2017), laydog97 (12-08-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 06:53 PM

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Also, not sure of the price range you're trying to stay in, but you could look into Dakar Tires. They are very similar to the Toyo Open Country tires and at a much lower cost. You can probably pick up a set of 4 tires (35x12.50R18) for around $1,000.00

Last edited by Truck Brigade; 12-07-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

rough country lifts you can return back to stock if need be. atleast on my 14 you can
laydog97 (12-08-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Truck Brigade
As Florida_F150 mentioned, there is a good possibility that trimming would be required, however this will completely depend on the set up you choose to run (the amount of lift, tire size and wheel offset). BDS and Pro Comp are both excellent choices and great quality.When I purchased my 08 F150, it had a 6 inch Pro Comp lift, 20x10 Fuel wheels and was on a set of 37 inch Nitto Mud Grapplers.I was impressed with the ride quality, however the tires were quite loud, I would definitely recommend staying with an all-terrain tire. They are typically a little less expensive and a lot less noisy.

In regards to wheels, as mentioned, it will depend on the kit. So first things first, I would decide on which reputable shop you want to do the work and then stop in and tell them exactly what you're wanting to accomplish. A lot of people tend to be against the use of spacers. I personally have owned 4 lifted trucks, ranging from a 6 inch kit on 35's to a 30 inch SAS swap on 53 inch Michelin tires. I used spacers on each of my personal trucks, as I liked the appearance of a wider stance. I would however recommend staying around a 2" spacer and making sure that they are of quality build if you decide to go that route.

Congrats on the planning, it's a lot of fun watching it come together and having your personal "build". Be sure to upload some pictures once complete!

Awesome truck Florida_F150, great quality photos and the set up looks very clean!
^^^^^ Truck_Brigade gives great, sound advice above. I would say the shop you use is just as important as the gear. They'll know exactly what to do with your truck to make it all work. (And thanks for the kind words on my truck... appreciated).

Laydog97, The Nitto Ridge Grapplers are less aggressive than some of the mud terrains, so worth a look. I run 37", and they are quiet and offer a great ride. More importantly, I off-road a lot, and they are amazing in the dirt and mud. I have a winch if needed, but have not needed to pull myself out (yet!)

Keep asking questions and you'll build a truck you love!
Old 12-08-2017, 02:06 PM

Thanks so much guys! I'm so glad I finally got the nerve to post on here. I've gone from excited to nervous to finally back to excited thanks to all your input! Think I'm definitely gonna do the Nitto Grapplers, and I'm leaning towards Pro Comp or BDS for the lift. Now I just need to get to the shop to get everything figured out. 95% sure of which shop I want to go to. I'll keep you posted and definitely post some pics once it's done. If I have anymore questions, I'll be sure to ask, and please let me know if you guys come up with any other insights or suggestions. Thanks again. You guys rock!!

PS - Florida_150, Truck_Brigade is right, your truck is awesome!
Florida_F150 (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 03:18 PM
Fake Ballin for da Gram

Received 434 Likes on 366 Posts

If your truck is 2wd and going back to stock is a concern.. Take a look at the Maxtrac Suspension lift. I am running the same lift and it is very easy to take the truck back to stock rather than doing a crossmember lift such as the BDS or Pro Comp 6".

I also have no issues running my stock 18" wheels either, although it looks funny.
laydog97 (12-08-2017)